Couvent des Cordeliers (Ruines) - Reims, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 49° 15.300 E 004° 02.283
31U E 575536 N 5456321
Quick Description: [EN] The Convent of Cordeliers de Reims is a former Franciscan convent, dating from the Middle Ages, of which there are only ruins. [FR] Le couvent des Cordeliers de Reims est un ancien couvent Franciscain, datant du Moyen Âge, dont il ne reste que des ruines.
Location: Grand-Est, France
Date Posted: 6/24/2019 12:37:22 PM
Waymark Code: WM10TZK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BarbershopDru
Views: 3

Long Description:

"The Cordeliers convent was one of the oldest in Reims, and the Cordeliers, so called because they wore a three-knot rope belt, were religious of the order of Saint Francis of Assisi. After the Revolution they took the name of "Franciscans").

They appeared in Reims in 1220. In the Middle Ages, the convent occupied a real island in the district from which, without doubt, the name "rue de l'Isle" given to one of the lanes that bordered it . The boundaries of the buildings on the other sides correspond to the current streets Montoison, Mâcon, Trois-Raisinets and Voltaire.

The continuation of the history of the Cordeliers Convent is that of many religious buildings. The monks were driven out during the Revolution, the furniture sold, as well as the buildings which were allocated on June 9, 1792 to a syndicate of resellers. For a moment, the offices were set up for the sale of national property.

The church was sold to individuals in 1813. They used it as a barn and then demolished it. In 1905, the buildings of the former convent were occupied by the textile company Lainé which was destroyed during the 1st World War.

All that remains of this past is these few ruins which, fortunately, have been developed and are a haven of peace in the center of the city. "

Sources : The Convent

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Le couvent des Cordeliers était un des plus anciens de Reims. Les « Cordeliers », ainsi dénommés parce qu’ils portaient une ceinture de corde à trois noeuds, étaient des religieux de l’ordre de Saint-François d’Assise (ce n’est qu’après la Révolution qu’ils prirent le nom de « franciscains »).

Ils firent leur apparition à Reims en 1220. Au Moyen-Age, le couvent occupait un véritable ilôt dans le quartier d’où, sans doute, le nom de « rue de l’Isle » donné à l’une des voies qui le bordaient. Les limites des bâtiments sur les autres côtés correspond aux actuelles rues Montoison, de Mâcon, des Trois-Raisinets et Voltaire.

La suite de l’histoire du couvent des Cordeliers est celle de beaucoup d’édifices religieux. Les moines furent chassés à la Révolution, le mobilier vendu, de même que les bâtiments qui furent attribués le 9 juin 1792 à un syndicat de revendeurs. On y installa un moment les bureaux pour la vente des biens nationaux.

L’église a été vendue à des particuliers en 1813. Ils l’ont utilisé comme grange puis l’ont démoli. En 1905, les bâtiments de l’ex couvent étaient occupés par l’entreprise textile Lainé qui a été détruite pendant la 1ère guerre mondiale.

Il ne reste de ce passé que ces quelques ruines qui, heureusement ont été mises en valeur et constituent un havre de paix dans le centre de la ville. "

Sources : Le Couvent

Type: Ruin

Fee: 0

Hours:
24/24 7/7


Related URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Original photographs showing additional views of the Ruin/Remnant or even just its current condition are encouraged. Please describe your visit, especially if no additional photos are available. Did you like the Ruin or Remnant? What prompted you to see the Ruin or Remnant?
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
pmaupin visited Couvent des Cordeliers (Ruines) - Reims, France 4/27/2017 pmaupin visited it