Boca Grande Quarantine Station - Boca Grande, Florida, USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BoomersOTR
N 26° 43.183 W 082° 15.673
17R E 374553 N 2956013
Quick Description: A National Register of Historic Places building that served from 1892 - 1964, initially as a Quarantine Station and later as a residence for the local pilot boat captains serving Boca Grande.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 6/20/2019 5:46:56 AM
Waymark Code: WM10T6N
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 1

Long Description:
Ship traffic in and out of Charlotte Harbor dramatically increased as phosphate mining and processing began developing in the 1880s. Due to Boca Grande's deep water port ships from other countries began increasing in large numbers. One of the early concerns of the federal government was how to protect the nation's health through preventing the importation of infectious diseases from incoming ships.

The prevention of epidemics was especially important to Florida, with its hundreds of miles of coastline and active maritime activity. Florida's port cities were indirect communication with communities in tropical countries that harbored infectious diseases such as cholera and yellow fever. In 1852, the Florida Legislature authorized seaboard cities and counties to establish maritime quarantines against vessels arriving from foreign ports known to be infected with contagious diseases. A quarantine station at Pensacola received considerable financial support from the federal government between 1878 and 1883. As early as 1835, a schooner was blamed for bringing yellow fever to Pensacola. Other yellow fever epidemics followed and included outbreaks of the disease in St. Joseph in 1841, Tampa in the 1850s and Fernandina in the 1870s. Key West was impacted by yellow fever numerous times between 1867 and 1899.

Maritime quarantine and the prevention of yellow fever were the State Board's primary concerns during its early years of activity. As a result the quarantine station was built on Boca Grande in the late 1880's and used as such until 1904 when a new quarantine station was built on Cayo Costa island to the south.

The quarantine station building was now utilized as housing and offices for the local bar pilots who assisted navigation for large ships through the dangerous waters of Boca Grande pass. It continued to be used as such until 1964 when bar pilots were no longer needed.

Excerpted from the NRHP Nomination Form.
Street address:
833 Belcher Road
Boca Grande, FL USA
33921


County / Borough / Parish: Lee

Year listed: 1996

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Maritime History, Health and Medicine

Periods of significance: 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1889

Historic function: Government

Current function: Domestic

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 2: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
BoomersOTR visited Boca Grande Quarantine Station - Boca Grande, Florida, USA 4/13/2019 BoomersOTR visited it