By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Seigneurie d'Anhaive - Namur - Belgique
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member PaulLassiter
N 50° 27.759 E 004° 53.330
31U E 634059 N 5591776
Quick Description: [FR] Petite seigneurie à vocation rurale appartenant à l'origine à l'évêque de Liège, Jean de Flandre. [FR] A small seigneury with a rural vocation originally belonging to the Bishop of Liege, Jean de Flandre.
Location: Namur, Belgium
Date Posted: 6/19/2019 10:25:35 PM
Waymark Code: WM10T5X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
[FR]

"L'évêque de Liège, Jean de Flandre, s'y établit avant 1285 jusqu'à son décès le 14 octobre 1291. Le domaine reste la propriété de l'évêque de Liège, qui en tire des revenus, jusqu'au XIVe siècle lorsque la seigneurie est achetée par un bourgeois de Namur.

La tour carrée en calcaire de Meuse, autrefois entourée de douves, remonte au Bas Moyen Âge. Le type de maçonnerie indique deux étapes de construction. Les deux premiers niveaux remontent à l'origine de la construction. Le troisième niveau est à situer vers la fin du XVe siècle. La toiture à la Mansart date quant à elle du XVIIIe siècle. Le rez-de-chaussée, couvert d'un plancher bas, est occupé par le cellier. Le premier étage est réservé aux activités de la vie quotidienne (cuisine, salle à manger). La chambre à coucher est installée au troisième niveau ou bel étage.

L'amélioration des conditions d'habitat veut que de nouvelles constructions s'érigent à proximité du vieux donjon. Une demeure plus confortable, aujourd'hui dégradée, est implantée à l'est vers 1535. Une ferme, établie au sud-est au XVIIIe siècle, est partiellement détruite en 1969.

L'intérieur de la tour et du logis seigneurial conserve de nombreux décors et traces de la vie quotidienne : cheminées gothiques aux montants finement sculptés de feuilles de plantain ou de buste humain, latrines en encorbellement, …

Le donjon est classé le 31 décembre 1943 et le logis le 12 juin 1981. La récente restauration entreprise sous la direction de la Fondation Roi Baudouin avec l'aide de la Division du Patrimoine de la Région wallonne et de la Commission royale des Monuments, Sites et Fouilles de la Région wallonne a sauvegardé et mis en valeur ce témoin majeur de l'architecture civile namuroise.

En 1995 la ville de Namur fit la cession à la Fondation roi Baudouin à charge d'en assurer la restauration. Ce qui fut fait certes avec une part de subsides, mais non sans un coût net pour la Fondation.

Actuellement, la Fondation, propriétaire des lieux, met partiellement le bâtiment à disposition du Syndicat d'Initiative de Jambes et de son Centre d'Archéologie, d'Art et d'Histoire de Jambes."

[EN]

"The Bishop of Liege, Jean of Flanders, settled there before 1285 until his death on October 14, 1291. The estate remained the property of the Bishop of Liège, who earned income from it until the 14th century when the seigneury was bought by a bourgeois from Namur.

The square limestone tower, once surrounded by a moat, dates back to the Late Middle Ages. The type of masonry indicates two stages of construction. The first two levels go back to the origin of the construction. The third level is to be found towards the end of the 15th century. The Mansard-style roof dates from the 18th century. The ground floor, covered with a low floor, is occupied by the cellar. The first floor is reserved for everyday activities (kitchen, dining room). The bedroom is on the third floor or beautiful floor.

The improvement of living conditions requires that new buildings be built near the old dungeon. A more comfortable residence, now degraded, was built in the east around 1535. A farm, established in the south-east in the 18th century, was partially destroyed in 1969.

The interior of the tower and the seigneurial dwelling preserves many decorations and traces of daily life: Gothic fireplaces with finely carved uprights of plantain leaves or human bust, corbelled latrines, etc.

The keep was classified on 31 December 1943 and the dwelling on 12 June 1981. The recent restoration undertaken under the direction of the King Baudouin Foundation with the help of the Heritage Division of the Walloon Region and the Royal Commission on Monuments, Sites and Excavations of the Walloon Region has safeguarded and enhanced this major witness of civil architecture of Namur region.

In 1995 the city of Namur made the transfer to the King Baudouin Foundation in order to ensure its restoration. This was done with a share of subsidies, but not without a net cost to the Foundation.

Currently, the Foundation, which owns the premises, partially makes the building available to the Syndicat d'Initiative of Jambes and its centre for archaeology, art and history.

Source: (visit link)
Accessibility: Partial access

Condition: Intact

Admission Charge?: no

Website: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.