Vitraux Eglise - Sainte Marie de Re, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 08.928 W 001° 18.677
30T E 630409 N 5111966
Quick Description: the church is located in the heart of the village. l'eglise est située au coeur du village.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 6/18/2019 12:27:34 AM
Waymark Code: WM10RR3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 4

Long Description:
Source Mairie:
The parish church of Sainte-Marie-de-Ré has a turbulent history that combines many legendary facts.

Maurice Utrillo painted the Church of St. Mary in 1937 According to Dr. KEMMERER, local historian of the last century, the building was built on the site of the castle of Eudes of Aquitaine. The latter would have retired to finish his days after the Battle of Poitiers against the Arabs (732).
Although this statement, contrary to the known historical elements, is based on an apocryphal text written ten centuries later, it is still conveyed.



The case of the tomb of Eudes d'Aquitaine rebounds in 1954. A Parisian dowser on vacation on the island claims that there is a "mortuary crypt under the belfry containing two bodies of high dignitaries dating from the time of Charlemagne" . One of them would even be buried in a gold coffin doubled by a lead coffin.
In the 1980s, the former mayor wanted to find the tomb and made clear the foot of the steeple. We reached the ground of the nineteenth century, but no previous trace. Damage to the legend and the researchers!

Even without Eudes d'Aquitaine, the church of Sainte-Marie de Ré can boast a particularly turbulent history.


At the beginning of the 11th century, Ré, like the nearby continent, benefited from the Counts of Poitou measures favorable to the repopulation of these lands devastated by the Norman invasions.


Sainte-Marie is, along with Saint-Martin and Ars, one of the three oldest parishes on the island of Ré and then spread over the territories of the current communes of Rivedoux and La Flotte. From the 12th century, the church of St. Mary exists and is mentioned in several texts. Without knowing its origin, the cure is attached to the Abbey of Our Lady of Sablonceaux (near Saujon in the south of the Charente-Maritime) and, until the Revolution, all the priests of Sainte- Mary will come from this abbey. Thus, at a time when the clergy of rural parishes are often poorly literate, the priests of Sainte-Marie will often be brilliant intellectuals.

The chronic insecurity of the first centuries of the Middle Ages, then the Hundred Years War, led the inhabitants to fortify the church so that it could serve as a place of refuge and resist a passing assault. Houses belonging to the Prior are also razed to dig the moat.

During the 14th century, embankments and then "high walls" with moats were built around the current square (the ditch followed the location of the houses surrounding the square, hence the presence of many cellars).
During the Hundred Years' War, the church and the square were surrounded by high walls with towers, moats and drawbridges which the inhabitants guarded.

During the religious troubles of 1574, the Protestant troops commanded by the Rochelais Francois de La Noue fire all the Catholic buildings of the island. The Chateliers abbey will be completely destroyed and will not recover. The church of St. Mary will be looted and its vaults will be almost completely destroyed.

In 1610, the building is restored and, for the first time, covered with a framework with tiles.
In 1622, hostilities resumed. The building is suffering again. In 1625, the situation becomes too risky, the parish priest abandons his church for nearly a year.
In 1627, after the rout of the English and the end of hostilities, the church is covered nine.
In 1671, the bishop ordered to lower the walls of the castle in order to clear the windows. Despite the end of the troubles, it was not until 1684 that the walls were shaved. The stones will be used to build a wall around the cemetery and to go inside the church.
In 1699, the facade is completely recovered with the opening of three doors instead of one.
In 1853, various projects of restoration and at the same time of reconstruction and enlargement of the church follow one another. The work finally began in 1862: reconstruction of the facade, construction and enlargement of the choir, leveling of the interior with the floor of the square (filling of about 2 m), restoration of the frame of the bell tower.
The interior upgrade made inaccessible the many graves that dotted the aisles.

After such reworkings, there are only a few elements left of the medieval building. The bell tower with its beautiful Gothic spire dates from the 14th century. It houses three bells. The smallest date dates from 1775 and comes from a Swedish ship that is probably wrecked.
The ex-voto of the Petit-Courrier of the island of Yeu, which was side by side with La Chavèche on the night of December 28, 1961, also reminds us that our shores were not always hospitable.



Source Mairie :
L'église paroissiale de Sainte-Marie-de-Ré possède une histoire mouvementée où se mêlent nombre de faits légendaires.

Maurice Utrillo a peint l?Eglise de Sainte Marie en 1937D'après le Docteur KEMMERER, historien local du siècle dernier, le bâtiment a été édifié sur l'emplacement du château d'Eudes d'Aquitaine. Ce dernier, s'y serait retiré pour y finir ses jours après la bataille de Poitiers contre les arabes (732).
Bien que cette affirmation, contraire aux éléments historiques connus, repose sur un texte apocryphe rédigé dix siècles plus tard, elle reste encore véhiculée.



L'affaire du tombeau d'Eudes d'Aquitaine rebondit en 1954. Un radiesthésiste parisien en vacances sur l'île affirme qu'il existe une "crypte mortuaire sous le clocher contenant deux corps de hauts dignitaires datant de l'époque de Charlemagne". L'un deux serait même enterré dans un cercueil en or doublé par un cercueil en plomb.
Dans les années 1980, l'ancien maire voulut retrouver le tombeau et fit dégager le pied de l'escalier du clocher. On atteignit le sol du XlXe siècle, mais aucune trace antérieure. Dommage pour la légende et les chercheurs !

Même sans Eudes d'Aquitaine, l'église de Sainte-Marie de Ré peut s'enorgueillir d'une histoire particulièrement mouvementée.


Au début du Xle siècle, Ré, comme le continent proche, bénéficie de la part des Comtes de Poitou de mesures favorables au repeuplement de ces terres dévastées par les invasions normandes.


Sainte-Marie est, avec Saint-Martin et Ars, l'une des trois plus vieilles paroisses de l'île de Ré et s'étendait alors sur les territoires des communes actuelles de Rivedoux et La Flotte. Dès le Xlle siècle, l'église de Sainte-Marie existe et se trouve mentionnée dans plusieurs textes. Sans que l'on en connaisse l'origine, la cure est rattachée à l'abbaye Notre-Dame de Sablonceaux (près de Saujon au sud de la Charente-Maritime) et, jusqu'à la Révolution, tous les curés de Sainte-Marie proviendront de cette abbaye. Ainsi, à une époque où le clergé des paroisses rurales est souvent peu lettré, les curés de Sainte-Marie seront souvent de brillants intellectuels.

L'insécurité chronique des premiers siècles du Moyen-Age, puis la guerre de Cent Ans, ont conduit les habitants à fortifier l'église afin quelle puisse servir de lieu de refuge et résister à un assaut passager. Des maisons appartenant au Prieur sont d'ailleurs rasées pour creuser les douves.

Au cours du XlVe siècle, des talus, puis des "hauts murs" avec douves sont édifiés autour de la place actuelle (le fossé suivait l'emplacement des maisons entourant la place, d'où la présence de caves fort nombreuses).
Pendant la guerre de Cent Ans, l'église et la place étaient ceinturées par de hauts murs avec tours, douves et pont-levis dont les habitants assuraient la garde.

Lors des troubles religieux de 1574, les troupes protestantes commandées par le rochelais François de La Noue mettent à feu tous les édifices catholiques de l'île. L'abbaye des Chateliers sera entièrement détruite et ne s'en remettra pas. L'église de Sainte-Marie sera pillée et ses voûtes seront presque totalement détruites.

En 1610, le bâtiment est restauré et, pour le première fois, couvert d'une charpente avec tuiles.
En 1622, les hostilités ont repris. Le bâtiment souffre de nouveau. En 1625, la situation devient trop risquée, le curé abandonne son église pendant près d'un an.
En 1627, après la déroute des anglais et la fin des hostilités, l'église est recouverte à neuf.
En 1671, l'évêque ordonne de rabaisser les murs du château afin de dégager les fenêtres. Malgré la fin des troubles, il faudra attendre 1684 pour que les murs soient rasés. Les pierres seront utilisées pour construire un mur autour du cimetière et daller l'intérieur de l'église.
En 1699, la façade est complètement reprise avec l'ouverture de trois portes au lieu d'une.
En 1853, différents projets de restauration et à la fois de reconstruction et d'agrandissement de l'église se succèdent. Les travaux commencent enfin en 1862 : reconstruction de la façade, construction et agrandissement du choeur, mise à niveau de l'intérieur avec le sol de la place (comblement d'environ 2 m), réfection de la charpente du clocher.
La mise à niveau intérieure a rendu inaccessible les nombreuses tombes qui parsemaient les allées.

Après de tels remaniements, il ne reste que peu d'éléments de l'édifice médiéval. Le clocher avec sa très belle flèche gothique date du XlVe siècle. Il abrite trois cloches. La plus petite date de 1775 et provient d'un bateau suédois probablement naufragé.
L'ex-voto du Petit-Courrier de l'île d'Yeu qui a fait côte à la Chavèche dans la nuit du 28 décembre 1961 rappelle, lui aussi, que nos rivages n'étaient pas toujours hospitaliers.

Le point de vue exceptionnel obtenu du haut du clocher permet de comprendre pourquoi, pendant des siècles, il a été utilisé comme poste de surveillance maritime : le promenoir situé à une vingtaine de mètres de hauteur permet d'apercevoir des navires à plus de 20 km.
Le visiteur découvre également la structure ancienne du village et ses différents quartiers : Bourg-Chapon (au sud-est), la Burelière (devenu Beurelière), le Canton, le Petit-Village, le Grand-Village, les Parées, La Noue.
D'un coup d'oeil, la mémoire d'un pays resurgit : la côte avec ses écluses, la mer avec ses naufrages, Rivedoux, La Rochelle au loin, La Flotte
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
place Eudes d Aquitaine
Sainte Marie de Re, Nouvelle Aquitaine France
17740


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: tous les jours

Hours of Operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 5:30 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Vitraux Eglise - Sainte Marie de Re, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France 9/15/2019 sara et gege visited it