By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Baptismal Font - Basilica of San Camillo de Lellis - Roma, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member denben
N 41° 54.419 E 012° 29.641
33T E 292151 N 4642485
Quick Description: San Camillo de Lellis is an early 20th century parish and titular church, and minor basilica located at 41 Via Piemonte in the Rione Sallustiano of Rome, Italy.
Location: Lazio, Italy
Date Posted: 6/17/2019 5:44:59 PM
Waymark Code: WM10RPW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dragontree
Views: 0

Long Description:
The church was built at the behest of Pope Pius X based on a design by the architect Tullio Passarelli. Construction began in 1906, and the first stone was laid by Cardinal Antonio Agliardi. Consecrated church and erected parish in 1910, it was entrusted to the regular clergy Ministers of the Sick, the order founded by Camillo de Lellis. In 1965, Pope Paul VI raised the church to the dignity of a minor basilica and at the same time created the cardinal title of San Camillo de Lellis in the Orti Sallustiani.

The basilica is in neo-Romanesque style with Gothic influences, with outside walls facing outside in red brick (with decorative stone elements) and inside integrally in travertine blocks. The plan is a Latin cross, with a transept not protruding from the aisles

Inside, the hall consists of three naves divided by round arches resting on pillars with sculpted capitals, and covered with cross vaults. Beyond the transept, the main nave ends with a semicircular apse, in which five windows open on which are depicted Christ and the four evangelists; above the high altar, in a niche, is the statue of San Camillo, by Alberto Galli from 1911. Of the same sculptor is the bas-relief in the lunette of the door leading to the sacristy, which depicts Pius X observing the model of the church. On the sides of the central apse there are two smaller ones used as side chapels.

The baptistery is a little apse with a fresco of the Baptism of Christ in the conch; the stone font itself has a carved wooden cover featuring the Lamb of God.

Opening hours: Weekdays 8:30 to 11:45 and 17:00 to 18:45; Sundays 8:30 to 13:00, 18:00 to 20:00.

Sources: (visit link) and (visit link)
Approximate Age of Artefact: 109 years

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stone Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.