By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Basilica of San Camillo de Lellis - Roma, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member denben
N 41° 54.419 E 012° 29.641
33T E 292151 N 4642485
Quick Description: San Camillo de Lellis is an early 20th century parish and titular church, and minor basilica located at 41 Via Piemonte in the Rione Sallustiano of Rome, Italy.
Location: Lazio, Italy
Date Posted: 6/17/2019 5:05:32 PM
Waymark Code: WM10RPH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:
The church was built at the behest of Pope Pius X based on a design by the architect Tullio Passarelli. Construction began in 1906, and the first stone was laid by Cardinal Antonio Agliardi. Consecrated church and erected parish in 1910, it was entrusted to the regular clergy Ministers of the Sick, the order founded by Camillo de Lellis. In 1965, Pope Paul VI raised the church to the dignity of a minor basilica and at the same time created the cardinal title of San Camillo de Lellis in the Orti Sallustiani.

The basilica is in neo-Romanesque style with Gothic influences, with outside walls facing outside in red brick (with decorative stone elements) and inside integrally in travertine blocks. The plan is a Latin cross, with a transept not protruding from the aisles.

The façade has salients and has two orders separated horizontally by a loggia consisting of round arches resting on small columns, and is characterized by jutting spurs. At the end of the wide entrance staircase there are three entrance portals, each adorned with a lunette with bas-relief: the central represents Christ presents St. Camillus to the sick, those on the sides Christ among the children and The forgiveness of the adulterous; in the upper part of the main façade there is a large circular rose window. Above the side portal of the left side, along via Sallustiana, there is a bas-relief with Jesus the Good Shepherd, dated 1907. Beside the apse rises the bell tower with a quadrangular plan, ending with a high pyramidal spire, whose cell opens outwards with a three-light window on each side; at the top, it reaches 30 meters in height.

Inside, the hall consists of three naves divided by round arches resting on pillars with sculpted capitals, and covered with cross vaults. Beyond the transept, the main nave ends with a semicircular apse, in which five windows open on which are depicted Christ and the four evangelists; above the high altar, in a niche, is the statue of San Camillo, by Alberto Galli from 1911. Of the same sculptor is the bas-relief in the lunette of the door leading to the sacristy, which depicts Pius X observing the model of the church. On the sides of the central apse there are two smaller ones used as side chapels.

Opening hours: Weekdays 8:30 to 11:45 and 17:00 to 18:45; Sundays 8:30 to 13:00, 18:00 to 20:00.

Source: Wikipedia (visit link)
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1906

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Sunday

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: 11:30 AM

Street address of Church:
41 Via Piemonte,
Roma, Italy
00187


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.