The Selman Drug & Jewelry Company - Douglasville, GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 33° 45.065 W 084° 44.920
16S E 708530 N 3736834
Quick Description: NRHP says it is now a drug store, but that was it is the Irish Bred Pub
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 6/7/2019 8:18:54 AM
Waymark Code: WM10PKH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member jhuoni
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of building: Douglas County
Location of building: Price St. & Broad St., SE corner, Douglasville
Built: 1885
Architectural Style: Italianate
Original Occupant: G. G. Hudson and Dr. J. B. Edge
Current Occupant: Irish Bred Pub

"The former Selman Drug and Jewelry Company (photograph 6), built in 1885, is a two-story, red brick building designed in an Italianate style. The building features an elaborate pressed metal cornice with brackets. The second story brick panels along the Broad Street facade are slightly recessed. Both the front and side facades feature decorative window hood moldings and stone sills.

"Examples of Italianate detailing, found in the former Selman Drug Company building, are recognized by decorative pressed metal cornices, with brackets and elaborate window hood moldings.

"Selman Drug & Jewelry was located at the corner of Price Avenue and East Broad Street with offices upstairs. This two-story brick building with floor space of 6,000 square feet was erected in 1885. Bricks for the building were made of county bricks in James Marion Abercrombie's brickyard on the outside of town. The first drug firm was Hudson & Edge which later became known as Selman Drug Co. and in 1887 became J. L. Selman & Company. Selman Drug Store was the first drugstore to have a soda fountain in the early 1890s, and with the coming of the auto, a gas pump was installed on the sidewalk in front of the drugstore. In 1926, the business was sold to pharmacist W. S. O'Neal. In 1962, it was sold to the current owners, Freeman Warren and Glenn Boggs and is now called B & W Drugs." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

"This two-story brick building was Douglasville’s first drug store. It is the only building on Broad Street with a cast iron decorative front. It was built in 1885 by G. G. Hudson and Dr. J. B. Edge. Within the first year of business Hudson bought Dr. Edge’s interest. In 1887, Hudson sold the business to Joseph L. Selman and it became Selman and Son Groceries Hardware, and Feed Stuffs. In March 1906, the Gainsborough Telephone Co. moved from the second floor of the Upshaw building to the second floor of the Selman building." ~ Walking Tour of Downtown

Public/Private: Public

Tours Available?: Probably

Year Built: 1885

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements

An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.