By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Eglise Saint Simeon - Saint Simeux, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 45° 37.680 W 000° 01.535
30T E 731852 N 5057020
Quick Description: in the city center with a magnificent view of the valley. dans le centre ville avec une magnifique vue sur la vallée.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 5/31/2019 1:23:43 AM
Waymark Code: WM10N3B
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
source wikipedia:
The parish church of St. Simeon dates from the twelfth century, and was rebuilt in the fourteenth century. It was rebuilt in 1867-1868 because in 1844, the choir, the belfry and the left goutterot of the nave had collapsed. The brick vaults date from 1893 and the carpentry was redone and the bell tower consolidated from 1964 to 1969.


Free Charente source:

Artisans and associations unite for the renovation of the church of Saint-Simeux. Stained glass and humidity priority.

Centerpiece of the village of Saint-Simeux, Saint-Siméon church has suffered the pangs of time. Built in the 11th century in the Romanesque style, the church's architecture was profoundly modified during the 14th century. The shape of a Latin cross with a circular apse and a central cupola under the bell tower during its construction, there are today only the walls and the base of the bell tower. In 1339, to support the walls and the corners of facade of big buttresses were built. Then in 1844, the bell tower and the left side collapsed to be rebuilt only at the end of the 19th century. Maintenance work took place in 1960 and a new bell was installed in 1979.

For several decades, successive municipalities have noted significant moisture with adverse consequences for the building, to the point that in 2008, following a report by Paul Fremond, councilor and president of the association "Les essacs de Saint-Simeux ", The current municipality decided to launch the calls for tenders and the requests of subsidies with the State, the Region, the Department and the private patrons. To cover the planned envelope of 46,000 euros, a public subscription was launched with the collaboration of the Heritage Foundation.

Stained glass windows under construction

Last September, the first renovations of the roofs, installation of gutters and descents to evacuate the water began. The stained glass workshop of Tusson then took over in October to renovate the stained glass windows. "In fact, the original stained glass windows no longer exist. What remains is from the 19th century ", explains André Morteau, glass artist. The techniques for making stained glass windows dating from the 12th and 13th centuries were lost and the firing required for good color conservation (130Â ° C) was not respected. Over time rainwater, indoor condensation, mosses and fungi have completely erased the colors.

To remedy this, the Atelier du vitrail applied the technique of the extra thickness by adding a white glass plate on the renovated stained glass. During the installation, André Morteau leaves a space of 2 centimeters in order to let a light draft flow. Thanks to this permanent air flow, residual moisture disappears.

The continuation of the work foresees at the beginning of March the treatments of the joints linking the external stones some of which will be changed by the company Léonard. The interior walls will wait one more year put to profit for a better drying.

"The Saint-Siméon church is part of the history of the village in the same way as the Essacs and the bridge spanning the Charente. It was urgent to undertake work for its conservation. Thanks to the mobilization of the municipality, the Essacs of Saint-Simeux and the population who participated greatly in the subscription, Saint-Simeux will save and keep its church for several generations, "confirmed Joel Treny, the mayor.

Bertrand de MANNY


source wikipedia :
L'église paroissiale Saint-Siméon date du XIIe siècle, et a été remaniée au XIVe siècle. Elle a été reconstruite en 1867-1868 car en 1844, le chœur, le clocher et le goutterot gauche de la nef s'étaient effondrés. Les voûtes en briques datent de 1893 et la charpente a été refaite et le clocher consolidé de 1964 à 1969.


source Charente libre :

Artisans et associations s'unissent pour la rénovation de l'église de Saint-Simeux. Vitraux et humidité en priorité.

Pièce maîtresse du village de Saint-Simeux, l'église Saint-Siméon a subi les affres du temps. Construite au XIe siècle dans le style roman, l'église a vu son architecture profondément modifiée au cours du XIVe siècle. De la forme d'une croix latine avec une abside circulaire et une coupole centrale sous le clocher lors de sa construction, il ne reste aujourd'hui que les murs et la base du clocher. En 1339, pour épauler les murs et les angles de façade de gros contreforts furent édifiés. Puis en 1844, le clocher et le côté gauche se sont effondrés pour n'être reconstruits qu'à la fin du XIXe siècle. Des travaux d'entretien eurent lieu en 1960 et une nouvelle cloche a été installée en 1979.

Depuis plusieurs décennies, les municipalités successives ont constaté une importante humidité aux conséquences néfastes pour l'édifice, au point qu'en 2008, suite à un rapport de Paul Fremond, conseiller municipal et président de l'association «Les essacs de Saint-Simeux», la municipalité actuelle a décidé de lancer les appels d'offres et les demandes de subventions auprès de l'Etat, la Région, le Département et les mécènes privés. Pour couvrir l'enveloppe prévue de 46.000 euros, une souscription publique a été lancée avec la collaboration de la Fondation du Patrimoine.

Les vitraux en chantier

En septembre dernier, les premiers travaux de rénovation des toitures, pose de gouttières et descentes pour évacuer l'eau ont débuté. L'Atelier du vitrail de Tusson a ensuite pris le relais en octobre pour rénover les vitraux. «En fait, les vitraux d'origine n'existent plus. Ce qui reste date du XIXe siècle», explique André Morteau, artiste verrier. Les techniques de fabrication des vitraux datant des XIIe et XIIIe siècles ont été perdues et la cuisson nécessaire à une bonne conservation des couleurs (130°C) n'a pas été respectée. Avec le temps l'eau de pluie, la condensation intérieure, les mousses et les champignons ont effacé complètement les couleurs.

Pour y remédier, l'Atelier du vitrail a appliqué la technique de la surépaisseur en ajoutant une plaque de verre blanc sur le vitrail rénové. Lors de la pose, André Morteau laisse un espace de 2 centimètres de manière à laisser passer un léger courant d'air. Grâce à ce filet d'air permanent, l'humidité résiduelle disparaît.

La suite des travaux prévoit début mars les traitements des joints liant les pierres extérieures dont quelques-unes seront changées par l'entreprise Léonard. Les murs intérieurs attendront une année supplémentaire mise à profit pour un meilleur assèchement.

«L'église Saint-Siméon fait partie de l'histoire du village au même titre que les essacs et le pont enjambant la Charente. Il s'avérait urgent d'entreprendre des travaux pour sa conservation. Grâce à la mobilisation de la municipalité, des Essacs de Saint-Simeux et de la population qui a participé grandement à la souscription, Saint-Simeux sauvera et gardera son église pour plusieurs générations», a confirmé Joël Treny, le maire.

Bertrand de MANNY

Saint Simeux : (visit link)

wikipedia : (visit link)

Charente Libre : (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Eglise Saint Simeon - Saint Simeux, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France 8/25/2019 sara et gege visited it