By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

John Dowling House - Galena, Illinois
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 42° 25.016 W 090° 25.619
15T E 711701 N 4699276
Quick Description: The Dowling House is a two-story stone single-pen building located at 220 Diagonal Street in Galena, Illinois.
Location: Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 5/26/2019 1:57:54 PM
Waymark Code: WM10M60
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member BK-Hunters
Views: 0

Long Description:
The JOHN DOWLING HOUSE, Main St. near Diagonal, the oldest structure still standing in Galena, was perhaps the first (1828) to use local stone. Today its windows are gaping holes, its roof sags, and the long high porch across the front is gone.

- Illinois: A Descriptive and Historical Guide, 1939 -- pg. 339



John Dowling was a business man and an early leader in Galena. This building was the headquarters of his "empire" until he died in Baltimore in 1843.

The Dowling House is the oldest building in Galena, Illinois, United States, now a historic house museum.

John Dowling arrived in Galena with his son Nicholas in 1826. The limestone house was built in 1826-27 in the single-pen style. The first floor was used as a trading post while the Dowlings lived upstairs. Dowling was an important early resident of Galena. He served on the 1834 fire committee and was elected to the 1838 town board of trustees. He also sold the county a plot of land for its first court house. Nicholas was elected alderman in 1841, serving until his election as mayor in 1843. Though he resigned after only a few months, he was again elected to the office in 1851, serving for two years.

The building sat abandoned for several decades, It was rehabilitated by William McCauley in the 1960s. In the 1970s, the building was opened to the public. Thirty minute tours of the building, furnished with period supplies and furnishings, are now offered from May to November. It was recognized as a contributing property to the Galena Historic District on October 18, 1969.

- Dowling House Wikipedia Page



Current name: Vintajearth/Rowling

Style: Single-pen

Architectural Description: This is a 2-story museum built in 1826. The foundation is limestone. Exterior walls are limestone. The building has a side-gable roof clad in metal. Windows are original or historic wood 6/6 double-or single hung. The porch is original or historic, Full-Width, Two-or More Stories; Wood materials; Square supports. Doors are original or historic wood flush; recessed entry.

- ruskinarc.com Historic Architecture Survey Database



National Register Building Details
 
ADDRESS HIST. PROPERTY NAME C or N/C DATE STYLE, FORM, TYPE
220 Diagonal Street Dowling House C 1826-27 Single-Pen

- National Register Application

Book: Illinois

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 339

Year Originally Published: 1939

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.