Cottesmore - Rutland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 42.758 W 000° 39.891
30U E 657739 N 5842863
Quick Description: Village sign for Cottesmore, at the junction of The Leas on Main Street.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/16/2019 1:50:27 PM
Waymark Code: WM10JMC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bill&ben
Views: 1

Long Description:
Village sign for Cottesmore, at the junction of The Leas on Main Street.
The fox and horseshoe represent the hunting tradition of the neighbourhood, the church also being featured.

"Cottesmore (pronounced Cotts'more as a result of its origins as Cotts Moor) is a village in the north of the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. In terms of population it is the largest village in Rutland, and the third-largest settlement after Oakham and Uppingham. This is due in part to the presence of Kendrew Barracks (formerly RAF Cottesmore).

At the time of Edward the Confessor (mid 11th century), "Manors Cottesmore" was held, together with Greetham, by Saxon called Goda. Goda held 12 carucates of land, three of which were held in tax to the Danegeld. The King held three carucates in demesne and three socmen with 40 villeins and six bordarii held 20 carucates. Of the land held by the manor, one Goisfridus held half a carucate; he had one plough and eight villeins. Cottesmore also had 40 acres (160,000 m2) of meadow and a wood measuring a mile in length by seven furlongs in breadth.

St Nicholas' Church, Cottesmore is a Grade II* listed building. The north aisle forms a RAF chapel, dedicated in 1949 to those who gave their lives while serving at RAF Cottesmore. A stained glass window was erected to the memory of Major General George Williams Knox CB (1838 - 1894). The colours of the 1st Battalion Scots Guards were gifted to the church by his widow and hang in the nave. The Cottesmore Benefice is part of the North Rutland Churches group.

There are two primary schools in the parish: St Nicholas C of E (Aided) Primary School is in the village and Cottesmore Academy is on the military base.

The Cottesmore Hunt takes its name from the village (although the kennels are not now in the parish). Sir William Lowther, 1st Earl of Lonsdale brought the foxhounds he had bought from Thomas Noel to Cottesmore in 1740.

Three ships of the Royal Navy have been named HMS Cottesmore after the Cottesmore hunt. Prince Andrew, Duke of York commanded the minesweeper HMS Cottesmore (M32) from April 1993 until November 1994 and visited the village with members of his crew."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Sign Date: 9/11/1996

Location: The Leas, junction with Main Street

Plaque: yes

Construction Material: Metal

Artist: John B Williams

Web Address: [Web Link]

Occasion Commemorated: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit, a photograph of yourself or your GPSr by the village sign is required. Some description of your visit would be welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Pictorial Village Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.