By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Attix Clinic - Lewistown, MT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 47° 03.782 W 109° 25.788
12T E 619233 N 5213364
Quick Description: Once a medical clinic, this two storey brick building has been an apartment building for two thirds of its life.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 5/6/2019 3:04:56 PM
Waymark Code: WM10GWZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ZenPanda
Views: 0

Long Description:
A contributor to the Lewistown Courthouse Historic District, this one time clinic has, since the clinic's closure in the mid 1950s, been converted to apartments. Part of the ground floor has been given over to an espresso bar and cafe, Six 18 Coffee.

Designed by the Lewistown firm of Wasmansdorff and Eastman, construction on the Attix Clinic commenced in 1916, the clinic opening its doors for the first time on April 6, 1917 - incidentally, the day on which the United States entered World War I. It continued in operation as a clinic until 1955. The clinic was named for Dr. Fred F. Attix, who arrived in Lewistown in 1901. Though he initiated a medical practise shortly after his arrival, the Attix Clinic was not built for another 15 years.

A substantial dark red brick building, it has fared well against the ravages of time, remaining in good condition and apparently has suffered precious little notable exterior changes or renovations. The only change of note is the extension of the canopy across the front of the lower floor, replacing awnings over the windows. As well, awnings over the upper floor windows have been removed.

ATTIX CLINIC

Dr. Frederick F. Attix came to Lewistown in 1901 where he set up one of the first local medical practices. Dr. Attix traveled 70,000 miles in his horse and buggy visiting patients in mining camps, often operating by lamplight in bunkhouses. On April 6, 1917, the same day the United States entered World War I, he and Dr. Frank Davis opened the Attix Clinic. Lewistown architects Wasmansdorff & Eastman designed the brick building, which was originally planned to carry five stories. Restrained brickwork, rusticated corner quoining, and a classical pediment at the roofline reflect the transition in western commercial architecture from the showy Victorian era to the less flamboyant twentieth century. Dr. Attix, who delivered some 1200 Fergus County residents, died in 1948 at St. Joseph’s Hospital where, in 1909, he had performed the facility’s first major operation. Although expansion of this building never occurred, the Attix Clinic continued to serve the community until 1955. 
From the NRHP plaque at the building
Attix Clinic
A former medical clinic, this two story common bond brick hotel has a flat roof and is adorned by a limited amount of decorative brickwork. The parapet is flat except for two wide and shallow articulations on the southeast elevation that flank a low slope triangular pediment. The apex of the pediment has a small brick accent. A brick blocking course runs around the building at the height of the roof behind the parapet and is made up of corbeled rowlocks top and bottom with a center soldier course. The soldier course is periodically recessed in a repeating pattern. Windows are rectangular and set in a flush wall; they have brick rowlock sills. Second floor windows are 1/1 double hung; first floor units are large, fixed and have transoms above. The corners of the brick walls have exaggerated quoining; the back of the structure is brick.

This property is significant because of its association with Dr. Frederick F. Attix, who opened his offices in Lewistown in 1901. Dr Attix is credited, among other things, with bringing over 1200 Central Montanans into the world.

The local firm of Wasmansdorff and Eastman designed the Attix Clinic Building, for which the foundation was planned and built to carry a five-story superstructure. Fergus County did not continue its rapid growth, and the Lewistown brick structure remained with the original-two stories.

The Attix Clinic served as a medical facility until the late 1950s.
From the NRHP Architecture Inventory Form, Site 188

Photo goes Here
Attix Clinic >> 1917
Photo goes Here
Attix Clinic >> 2017

Describe the area and history:
See above


Visit Instructions:
Please describe your visit- The good, the bad & the ugly. :)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Montana Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.