By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Universidad del Cardinal Lorenzana - Toledo - Spain
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member CADS11
N 39° 51.552 W 004° 01.531
30S E 412281 N 4412633
Quick Description: Universidad del Cardinal Lorenzana
Location: Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Date Posted: 4/22/2019 7:18:45 AM
Waymark Code: WM10E6V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:
ES:
La Real Universidad de Toledo (1520 - 1845) era del modelo "colegio-universidad"; tuvo varias sedes consecutivas, el Colegio de Santa Catalina, la Casa Profesa de los Jesuitas, el Convento de San Pedro Mártir el Real y el Palacio Lorenzana. Actualmente estos dos últimos edificios forman parte de la Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha.
Índice

Historia
1ª etapa: Colegio de Santa Catalina (1485 - 1771)
El 3 de mayo de 1485 mediante una bula del Papal Inocencio III se autorizó la creación en la ciudad de Toledo (España) del denominado Colegio de Santa Catalina, bajo supervisión eclesiástica. Francisco Álvarez de Toledo Zapata, canónigo maestrescuela de la Catedral Primada, solicitó y obtuvo de los Reyes Católicos el preceptivo permiso para la legalización, con un total de veintidós cátedras de teología, cánones, leyes, artes, medicina, cirugía, griego, retórica y matemáticas. La institución se instala en las casas del fundador en el barrio de San Andrés, y en otras casas colindantes, adquiridas ex profeso a D. Alonso de Sotomayor, Conde de Benalcázar y a Dª María Velasco, esposa del Almirante de Castilla, D. Alonso Enríquez.

En 1520, por bula papal de León X, se crea la Real Universidad de Toledo sobre la base docente que ya existía en el Colegio de Santa Catalina de Alejandría. En 1525 se le otorgó diversos privilegios para la expedición de títulos de Doctor y Licenciado, además de Estatutos y Reglamento, así como un Patronato dependiente del Cabildo de la Catedral de Toledo, compartiendo universidad y colegio el mismo edificio.

Tras la aprobación en mayo de 1529 de las llamadas Constituciones Antiguas por el Emperador Carlos V y su madre la Reina Juana I, queda determinada la forma de conferir los grados de Bachiller, Licenciado y Doctor en las Facultades de Cánones y Leyes, de Artes, de Teología y de Medicina. En 1552 el Papa incrementó las rentas del Colegio y de la Universidad, y en 1557 se ampliaron las Constituciones de dieciocho a treinta y nueve, marcándose en ellas el inicio de la separación entre ambas instituciones, universidad y colegio, que a partir de entonces sólo compartirán edificio. La separación jurídica entre ambos será ratificada el 23 de marzo del mismo año por el papa Paulo IV, que concede a la universidad soberanía académica y económica.

En 1695 se aprueban unas nuevas Constituciones de la Universidad, las terceras y definitivas. Pese a ello, la Universidad sigue compartiendo instalaciones con el Colegio de Sta. Catalina hasta la marcha de la primera en 1771 a su primera sede independiente, la antigua Casa Profesa de los Jesuitas.

2ª etapa: Casa Profesa de los Jesuitas (1771 - 1789)
La etapa de desarrollo que experimentó la Universidad de Toledo a partir de 1557 hizo necesario que tuviese un edificio propio e independiente del Colegio de Santa Catalina, lo que no se consiguió hasta el reinado de Carlos III. En agosto de 1769 la Corona cede a la Universidad toledana el edificio de la Antigua Casa Profesa de la Compañía de Jesús en Toledo, ya que los Jesuitas habían sido expulsados dos años antes. Las obras de adaptación comenzaron de inmediato, produciéndose el traslado el 5 de enero de 1771, el mismo año en que una Real Provisión obligaba a cursar estudios en universidades civiles (y no eclesiásticas) para obtener grados públicos.

3ª etapa: Convento de San Pedro Mártir el Real (1789 - 1799)
La crisis de 1789 plantea la supresión de algunas universidades en los distintos reinos de España, lo que hace que se eleve una petición al Supremo Consejo de Castilla intercediendo por la de Toledo. Se revitalizan y actualizan sus rentas y se busca una nueva sede, dado el mal estado de la Antigua Casa Profesa de la Compañía de Jesús en Toledo. Así pues, en el mismo año de 1789 se realiza la mudanza a una nueva sede provisional, en una parte del convento de los Dominicos, puesto bajo la advocación de San Pedro Mártir y en el que había un estudio general de Artes y Teología desde mediados del S. XV. La Real Universidad de Toledo se instala en la que será su tercera sede, el Convento de San Pedro Mártir, compartiendo el edificio con la universidad dominica (la cual, por su parte, subsistirá hasta 1835). Allí permanecerá durante una década. Mientras tanto el ilustrado Cardenal Lorenzana adquirió en 1792 las casas de la Inquisición y otras ocho contiguas y mandó derribarlas, para edificar en su solar una nueva y digna sede para la Real Universidad de Toledo, el edificio que más adelante llevaría su nombre.

4ª etapa: Palacio Lorenzana (1799 - 1845)
Durante el reinado de Carlos III y al calor del espíritu ilustrado de la época, se cedieron los locales del Santo Oficio junto a la iglesia de San Vicente Mártir y se construyó sobre su solar un edificio propio, poniéndose la primera piedra el 6 de junio de 1796. Este lugar es el llamado Palacio Universitario Lorenzana, por su fundador el Cardenal Lorenzana, y sobre el que el Arquitecto Ignacio Haan proyectó el edificio que hoy contemplamos y que fue inaugurado solemnemente el 22 de abril de 1799. La Real Universidad de Toledo funcionó en su nueva y definitiva sede hasta el curso 1844/45, fecha en que se cerró y se transformó en Instituto Provincial de Segunda Enseñanza (antecesor del actual Instituto de Bachillerato "El Greco"), asumiendo el edificio, los bienes, la biblioteca y el claustro de profesores de la antigua universidad. Por su parte, cuando se produjo la separación entre universidad y colegio, el segundo continuó su trayectoria en su antiguo edificio hasta su cierre, que se produjo también en 1845, a causa de la supresión de la Universidad. Igualmente cerró otro de los colegios a ella vinculados, el Colegio de San Bernardino.

En 1969/70 se creó el Colegio Universitario de Toledo "Santa Catalina", adscrito entonces a la Universidad Complutense, volviendo la universidad a su antigua sede a través suyo, en 1973, cuando el CUT se instaló en el Palacio Lorenzana tras haberse mudado previamente el Instituto de Bachillerato "El Greco" a otro edificio de nueva planta. En 1982 se creó la Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha, pasando el Palacio Lorenzana a ser su sede principal en el Campus de Toledo. En la actualidad el Palacio Lorenzana es la sede del Vicerrectorado del Campus de Toledo y de Relaciones Internacionales, albergando también al Centro de Estudios de Postgrado, aulas del programa de mayores "José Saramago" así como al Centro de Estudios Europeos "Luis Ignacio Ortega" y al Centro de Estudios de Derecho del Consumo.

Arquitectura
El edificio, resulta sólido y tiene una escrupulosa cantería; es muy limpia la solución de los dinteles que corren sobre las columnas, mostrando falsas juntas verticales. Un sistema de bóvedas cierra todos los ámbitos de la construcción.

Sus fábricas exteriores son de granito y ladrillo visto, destacando la solución tetrástila «in antis» de la fachada principal. Un orden jónico nos anticipa la secuencia columnaria del interior. A los lados, ocupando dos nichos, se encuentran sendas alegorías de las ciencias, labradas en piedra de Colmenar por el escultor Mariano Salvatierra. Sobre el eje del pórtico se observa el escudo del cardenal Lorenzana, sostenido por dos ángeles, realizado por Antonio Finacer.

En el interior hay un atrio porticado con varias pantallas columnarias. Éste da paso a un magnífico patio neoclásico, de un porte monumental, tanto por sus estimables dimensiones y proporciones, como por su orden único, jónico, que soporta un fuerte entablamento adovelado, todo ello de granito. Las dependencias de su planta única y principal, dejando a un lado las subterráneas, se disponen de modo sencillo y equilibrado.
From: (visit link)

EN:
The Real University of Toledo (1520 - 1845) was of the "college-university" model; it had several consecutive seats, the School of Santa Catalina, the Professed House of the Jesuits, the Convent of San Pedro Mártir el Real and the Lorenzana Palace. Currently these last two buildings are part of the University of Castilla-La Mancha.
Index

History
1st stage: School of Santa Catalina (1485 - 1771)
On May 3, 1485 through a papal bull Innocent III was authorized the creation in the city of Toledo (Spain) of the so-called College of Santa Catalina, under ecclesiastical supervision. Francisco Álvarez de Toledo Zapata, canon master of the First Cathedral, requested and obtained from the Catholic Kings the mandatory permission for legalization, with a total of twenty-two chairs of theology, canons, laws, arts, medicine, surgery, Greek, rhetoric and maths. The institution is installed in the houses of the founder in the neighborhood of San Andrés, and in other adjoining houses, acquired ex profeso to D. Alonso de Sotomayor, Count of Benalcázar and to María Velasco, wife of the Admiral of Castilla, D. Alonso Enríquez .

In 1520, by papal bull of Leo X, the Royal University of Toledo was created on the teaching base that already existed in the College of St. Catherine of Alexandria. In 1525 he was granted various privileges for the issuance of Doctor and Licentiate degrees, as well as Statutes and Regulations, as well as a Board dependent on the Cabildo of the Cathedral of Toledo, sharing the same building university and college.

After the approval in May 1529 of the so-called Old Constitutions by the Emperor Charles V and his mother Queen Juana I, the way of conferring the degrees of Bachelor, Bachelor and Doctor in the Faculties of Canons and Laws, of Arts, is determined. of Theology and Medicine. In 1552 the Pope increased the income of the College and the University, and in 1557 the Constitutions were extended from eighteen to thirty-nine, marking the beginning of the separation between both institutions, university and college, which thereafter only they will share building. The legal separation between the two will be ratified on March 23 of the same year by Pope Paul IV, who grants the university academic and economic sovereignty.

In 1695 new Constitutions of the University were approved, the third and definitive ones. Despite this, the University continues to share facilities with the College of St. Catherine until the march of the first in 1771 to its first independent headquarters, the former Professed House of the Jesuits.

2nd stage: Professed House of the Jesuits (1771 - 1789)
The stage of development that the University of Toledo underwent from 1557 made it necessary for it to have its own independent building from the Santa Catalina School, which was not achieved until the reign of Carlos III. In August of 1769 the Crown yields to the Toledo University the building of the Old Professed House of the Society of Jesus in Toledo, since the Jesuits had been expelled two years before. The adaptation works began immediately, with the transfer taking place on January 5, 1771, the same year in which a Royal Provision obliged to study at civil (and non-ecclesiastical) universities to obtain public degrees.

3rd stage: Convent of San Pedro Mártir el Real (1789 - 1799)
The crisis of 1789 proposes the suppression of some universities in the different kingdoms of Spain, which causes a petition to be raised to the Supreme Council of Castile interceding for that of Toledo. Their rents are revitalized and updated and a new headquarters is sought, given the poor state of the Old Professed House of the Society of Jesus in Toledo. Thus, in the same year of 1789 the move was made to a new provisional headquarters, in a part of the convent of the Dominicans, placed under the patronage of San Pedro Mártir and in which there was a general study of Arts and Theology since mid of the XV century. The Real University of Toledo is installed in what will be its third headquarters, the San Pedro Mártir Convent, sharing the building with the Dominican University (which, meanwhile, will subsist until 1835). There it will remain for a decade. Meanwhile, the enlightened Cardinal Lorenzana acquired in 1792 the houses of the Inquisition and eight others adjoining them and ordered them to be demolished, in order to build a new and worthy site for the Royal University of Toledo on its site, the building that would later bear his name.

4th stage: Lorenzana Palace (1799 - 1845)
During the reign of Carlos III and the warmth of the enlightened spirit of the time, the offices of the Holy Office were given to the church of San Vicente Mártir and a building of its own was built on its site, laying the first stone on June 6, 1796. This place is called the Lorenzana University Palace, by its founder, Cardinal Lorenzana, and on which the architect Ignacio Haan designed the building that we contemplate today and which was solemnly inaugurated on April 22, 1799. The Royal University of Toledo worked in its new and definitive headquarters until the 1844/45 academic year, when it was closed and transformed into a Provincial Institute of Second Education (predecessor of the current High School "El Greco"), assuming the building, the assets, the library and the faculty of the old university. On the other hand, when the separation between university and college took place, the second continued its trajectory in its old building until its closure, which also occurred in 1845, due to the suppression of the University. Also closed another of the colleges linked to it, the College of San Bernardino.

In 1969/70 the University College of Toledo "Santa Catalina" was created, then assigned to the Complutense University, returning the university to its former headquarters through him, in 1973, when the CUT was installed in the Lorenzana Palace after having previously moved the High School Institute "El Greco" to another new building. In 1982 the University of Castilla-La Mancha was created, passing the Lorenzana Palace to be its main headquarters in the Toledo Campus. At present, the Lorenzana Palace is the headquarters of the Vice-rectorate of the Toledo Campus and of International Relations, also housing the Center for Postgraduate Studies, classrooms of the "José Saramago" major program as well as the "Luis Ignacio Ortega" Center for European Studies. and the Consumer Law Studies Center.

Architecture
The building is solid and has a scrupulous stonework; The solution of the lintels running on the columns is very clean, showing false vertical joints. A system of vaults closes all areas of construction.

Its exterior factories are made of granite and exposed brick, highlighting the tetrástila solution "in antis" of the main façade. An Ionic order anticipates the columnar sequence of the interior. On the sides, occupying two niches, are allegories of the sciences, carved in stone of Colmenar by the sculptor Mariano Salvatierra. On the axis of the portico is the shield of Cardinal Lorenzana, supported by two angels, made by Antonio Finacer.
Name: Universidad del Cardinal Lorenzana

Location/Address:
Calle Cardinal Lorenzana, Toledo, Spain


Web Site: [Web Link]

Type of School: Graduate School (part of larger university)

School Affiliation: Public -- State/Provincial/etc.

Date Founded: 1520

Location of GPS Coordinates: At the door

Phone Number: Not listed

Enrollment: Not listed

Nicknames/Mascots: Not listed

School Colors: Not listed

School Motto: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Post one original photograph of the school that is a different view from the one on the main page, and describe your visit. Add any additional information that you may have about this school is welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Universities and Colleges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
CADS11 visited Universidad del Cardinal Lorenzana - Toledo - Spain 4/22/2019 CADS11 visited it