St Denys - Eaton, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 51.196 W 000° 48.960
30U E 647055 N 5858181
Quick Description: The church in Eaton is Saint Denys Church, which mostly dates back to the 13th century. Unusually the spire is built of ironstone.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/18/2019 12:15:15 PM
Waymark Code: WM10DD5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
"The Norman Church of Saint Denys, Eaton stands proudly on a hill in the centre of the village. It overlooks a beautiful valley and is made of Ironstone, which has been quarried locally, and has a delightfully warm hue. The Church dates back to the 12th Century and has many fascinating details to admire.

The Church is named after Denys, patron saint of Paris. He was one of seven Bishops sent to convert Gaul, later he became Bishop of Paris before becoming a martyr at Montmatre (Martyrs' Hill). In 626 his remains were moved to King Dagobert's foundation of St.-Denis, the famous Benedictine Abbey, near Paris."

SOURCE - (visit link)

"Parish church. Early C14 nave, south aisle and west tower, C13 north aisle, mid C14 chancel. C15 re-workings and restorations 1883 and 1923. Ironstone with limestone dressings and lead roofs. 3 stage tower with 3- light intersecting west window embroidered with trefoil motifs. Slit lights to ringing chamber. Diagonal buttresses end below C15 belfry stage. 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows with lozenge tracery. Crenellated parapet above lozenge and quatrefoil frieze. 4 corner pinnacles. 3-light south aisle west window with circular vesica containing more trefoil motifs. Gabled south porch with moulded entrance arch. One 3-light early C14 window to east and 3-light late C14 cusped window east again. North aisle retains a north and west C13 lancet with another blocked to east. Square north doorway. To east 2 3-light windows with ogee heads under square hood. 3 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows of simple cusped lights under square hoods. 3-light chancel south windows with cusped heads under square hoods and 4-light reticulated east window. Against north chancel is a vestry of 1883. Interior. 4-bay arcade on octagonal piers with double chamfered arches. Polygonal capitals have some nailhead decoration. Tower and chancel arches both mostly of 1883. C15 nave roof of cambered tie beams with arched braces dropping on wall posts to corbels. Ridge piece and one pair butt purlins. Aisle roofs are of principal and purlin type. Early C14 octagonal drum font with 8 different tracery patterns, one to each facet. In south nave wall a late C13 tomb recess. 2 orders of shafts with undercut capitals support stilted arch. Hood mould and outer order of arch with complex undercut mouldings incorporating fleur-de-lys section, rather advanced. Inner order with fleurons. Soffit has cinquefoil cusping. Timber poor box inscribed: Remember the poore (sic) 1709. Pulpit has timber carved sounding board with arcaded centre flanked by strapwork vertical panels. Cornice carried on scrolled consoles. Within centre arch an inscription: Here(sic) the word of the Lord 1604. In east end of north nave aisle a free standing sarcophagus commemorating Edward Manners, 1811: black and white marble with a surmounting urn. Fragments of C15 and C17 stained glass in south aisle windows. Chancel has 2 bay arcade of 1883 leading into north vestry. Roof similar, though thinner, to that of nave. Fragments of C14 glass in chancel windows."

SOURCE - (visit link)

Further reading - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.