Französischer Garten Celle, Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 52° 37.250 E 010° 04.975
32U E 573308 N 5830643
Quick Description: Der Französische Garten in Celle.
Location: Niedersachsen, Germany
Date Posted: 4/15/2019 7:26:24 AM
Waymark Code: WM10CR8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member takeabrake
Views: 6

Long Description:



"Der Französische Garten in Celle ist ein historischer öffentlicher Park im Süden der Celler Altstadt. Er ist im Denkmalverzeichnis der Stadt Celle gelistet und als Baudenkmal gemäß Niedersächsischem Denkmalschutzgesetz (NDschG) geschützt.

An der Nordseite begrenzt eine etwa 330 m lange, vierreihige Lindenallee den Park, sie hat den Namen Herzogin-Eleonore-Allee. Im Süden bildet eine Maulbeerbaum-Allee die Grenze des Gartens. Am äußersten Ost- und Südrand verläuft der Magnusgraben, der nach Herzog Magnus benannt ist. Der Wassergraben wurde 1370 als Teil der Stadtbefestigung Celle angelegt. Das Gewässer wird östlich von Celle bei der „Ziegeninsel“ von der Aller abgeleitet, umfließt den südlichen Teil der Altstadt von Celle und mündet in der Nähe des Celler Hafens wieder in die Aller. Er speist sowohl den großen Teich im Park als über den Stadtgraben auch den Schlossgraben von Schloss Celle mit Wasser.
Der kreisrunde Teich am Westrand der Parkanlage wird in dieser Form erstmals 1770 abgebildet. Vorher waren hier vier rechteckige Teiche. Er hat einen Durchmesser von 95 m, einen Umfang von rund 300 m, eine Wassertiefe von 80 cm bis 1,60 m und eine Wasserfläche von 7.000 m². Auf einer kleinen Insel stehen zwei alte Trauerweiden. In der Mitte des Teiches befindet sich eine mehrstrahlige Fontäne, die Abends beleuchtet wird.
Vor dem Teich ist ein in sich geschlossener Teil als Rosengarten angelegt, der in seiner Form noch an die einstige Gestaltung als Barockgarten erinnert.
Im Ostteil der Gartenanlage steht das 1611 erbaute Renaissance-Schlösschen, eine Freilichtbühne und das von Adam Friedrich Oeser 1784 aus Crottendorfer Marmor gestaltete Denkmal der nach Celle verbannten Dänenkönigin Caroline Mathilde.
Weiter umfasst die Parkanlage geschwungene Wege, Blumenbeete, große Rasenflächen, Baum- und Buschgruppen, Skulpturen und Denkmale.
Der äußerste nördliche Teil des Parkgeländes wurde 1927 abgeteilt. Hier befindet sich das Institut für Bienenkunde Celle des Niedersächsischen Landesamtes für Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit (LAVES).

Bereits zu Beginn des 17. Jahrhunderts existierte hier ein Lustgarten. Herzog Christian ließ 1611 im Stil der Renaissance-Fachwerkbauweise das heute noch vorhandene „Schlösschen“ errichten. Ursprünglich war dieses Haus die Wohnung der Hofgärtner. Heute wird es als Kindertagesstätte genutzt. Bereits zu Beginn des 17. Jahrhunderts existierte hier ein Lustgarten. Herzog Christian ließ 1611 im Stil der Renaissance-Fachwerkbauweise das heute noch vorhandene „Schlösschen“ errichten. Ursprünglich war dieses Haus die Wohnung der Hofgärtner. Heute wird es als Kindertagesstätte genutzt.
Ab 1670 wurde auf Veranlassung von Eleonore d’Olbreuse, der Gattin von Herzog Georg Wilhelm, der französische Gärtner Henri Péronnet († 1690) mit der Gestaltung des Gartens beauftragt. Von 1690 bis 1701 war René Dahuron, ebenfalls ein Franzose, verantwortlich. Wahrscheinlich wurde nach deren Herkunftsland die Gartenanlage in „Französischer Garten“ umbenannt. In der Zeit von 1695 bis 1696 wurde auch erstmals die vierreihige Lindenallee angelegt, die 1951–1953 vollständig erneuert wurde.
Ab 1713 war der Gartenkünstler Ernst August Charbonnier für den französischen Garten angestellt. Das jetzige Erscheinungsbild, nicht mehr das eines französischen Gartens, sondern das eines englischen Landschaftsparks, geht auf Caroline Mathilde, die aus Dänemark verbannte, geschiedene Königin, die 1772–1775 in Celle lebte, zurück. Nach ihrem Tod wurde die Pflege des Gartens zeitweise vernachlässigt. So verschwand 1801 das kleine Sommerhäuschen, das sie am Teichufer hatte errichten lassen.
Ab Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts bekam die Anlage unter der Regie des Oberhofmarschalls Carl Ernst von Malortie nach Plänen des Garteninspektors Franz Christian Schaumburg ihre heutige Gestalt. Anfang des 20. Jahrhunderts legte der Garteninspektor Otto von Boehn den Rosengarten an, der 1996 erneuert wurde.
1924 wurde im Osten des Geländes ein Kinderspielplatz und 1957 die Freilichtbühne vor dem Schlösschen angelegt. Die Ulmen am Magnusgraben wurden 1933 durch Ahornbäume ersetzt. Die Maulbeerbaum-Allee wurde 2002 neu gepflanzt. Sie soll an die ursprünglich südlich des Parks gelegene Maulbeerbaum-Plantage erinnern, die zur Seidenraupen-Zucht angelegt war. Überregionale Bekanntheit erreichte der Garten im Jahre 2019 nach Tötung geschützter Maulwürfe."

Französischer Garten



"The French Garden in Celle is a historic public park in the south of the old town of Celle. It is listed in the list of monuments of the city of Celle and protected as a monument according to the Lower Saxony Law for the Protection of Monuments (NDschG).

On the north side, the park is bordered by a 330 m long, four-row lime tree avenue called Herzogin-Eleonore-Allee. In the south, a mulberry tree alley forms the boundary of the garden. The Magnus Graben, named after Duke Magnus, runs along the eastern and southernmost edges of the garden. The moat was built in 1370 as part of the Celle city fortifications. The water is derived from the Aller river east of Celle near the "Ziegeninsel" (goat island), flows around the southern part of the old town of Celle and flows back into the Aller river near the port of Celle. It feeds both the large pond in the park and the moat of Celle Castle with water.
The circular pond on the western edge of the park was first depicted in this form in 1770. Previously there were four rectangular ponds here. It has a diameter of 95 m, a circumference of about 300 m, a water depth of 80 cm to 1.60 m and a water surface of 7,000 m². On a small island there are two old weeping willows. In the middle of the pond there is a multi-jet fountain, which is illuminated in the evening.
In front of the pond, a self-contained part is laid out as a rose garden, the shape of which is still reminiscent of the former Baroque garden.
In the eastern part of the gardens stands the Renaissance castle built in 1611, an open-air stage and the monument to the Danish queen Caroline Mathilde, who was exiled to Celle, designed by Adam Friedrich Oeser in Crottendorf marble in 1784.
The park also includes winding paths, flower beds, large lawns, groups of trees and bushes, sculptures and monuments.
The outermost northern part of the park area was divided in 1927. This is the location of the Institute for Bee Research Celle of the Lower Saxony State Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety (LAVES).

A pleasure garden already existed here at the beginning of the 17th century. In 1611 Duke Christian had the "Schlösschen" built in the style of the Renaissance half-timbered building. Originally this house was the apartment of the court gardeners. Today it is used as a day nursery. A pleasure garden already existed here at the beginning of the 17th century. In 1611 Duke Christian had the "Schlösschen" built in the Renaissance half-timbered style. Originally this house was the apartment of the court gardeners. Today it is used as a day nursery.
From 1670, at the instigation of Eleonore d'Olbreuse, the wife of Duke Georg Wilhelm, the French gardener Henri Péronnet († 1690) was commissioned to design the garden. From 1690 to 1701 René Dahuron, also a Frenchman, was responsible for the garden. The garden was probably renamed "French Garden" after its country of origin. Between 1695 and 1696, the four-row Lindenallee was laid out for the first time and completely renovated between 1951 and 1953.
From 1713 the garden artist Ernst August Charbonnier was employed for the French garden. The present appearance, no longer that of a French garden, but that of an English landscape park, goes back to Caroline Mathilde, the divorced queen exiled from Denmark, who lived in Celle in 1772-1775. After her death, the care of the garden was temporarily neglected. In 1801, for example, the small summer cottage she had built on the shore of the pond disappeared.
From the middle of the 19th century onwards, under the direction of the Oberhof Marshal Carl Ernst von Malortie, the complex was given its present form according to plans by the garden inspector Franz Christian Schaumburg. At the beginning of the 20th century, garden inspector Otto von Boehn laid out the rose garden, which was renovated in 1996.
In 1924 a children's playground was built in the east of the site and in 1957 an open-air theatre was built in front of the small castle. The elms at Magnusgraben were replaced by maple trees in 1933. The Maulbeerbaum-Allee was replanted in 2002. It is intended as a reminder of the mulberry tree plantation, which was originally located south of the park and was used for breeding silkworms. The garden achieved supra-regional recognition in 2019 after the killing of protected moles."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Name: Französischer Garten

Street Location: Südwall

Local Municipality: Celle

State/Province, etc.: Niedersachsen

Country: Germany

Web Site: [Web Link]

Fountains: yes, fountain located in the pond

Ponds/Lakes/Streams/Rivers/Beach: pond

Memorial/Commemoration: Not listed

Date Established: Not listed

Picnic Facilities: Not listed

Recreational Facilities: Not listed

Monuments/Statues: Not listed

Art (murals/sculpture, etc.): Not listed

Special Events: Not listed

Traditional Geocaches: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
One photo of the park that is a different view from the one on the page, and give the date and description your visit.

Add any additional information that you may have about this park. A GPSr photo is NOT required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Municipal Parks and Plazas
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
nichecht visited Französischer Garten Celle, Niedersachsen, Germany 6/5/2021 nichecht visited it
vikile03 visited Französischer Garten Celle, Niedersachsen, Germany 1/20/2021 vikile03 visited it
Kladings visited Französischer Garten Celle, Niedersachsen, Germany 9/10/2020 Kladings visited it
kaschper69 visited Französischer Garten Celle, Niedersachsen, Germany 4/15/2019 kaschper69 visited it

View all visits/logs