By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Smedenpoort (Porte des Forgerons) - Brugge, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 51° 12.267 E 003° 12.733
31U E 514825 N 5672582
Quick Description: [NL] Gelegen ten westen van de historische stad en geplant op een van de bruggen die het kanaal oversteken dat Brugge scheidt van de middeleeuwen met het meer recente Brugge.[EN] Located west of the historic city and planted on one of the bridges that crosses the canal separating medieval Bruges from Bruges with the more recent Bruges. [FR] Situé à l’Ouest de la ville historique et planté sur un des ponts qui traverse le canal séparant le Bruges du moyen-âge avec le Bruges plus récent.
Location: West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Date Posted: 4/14/2019 8:57:42 AM
Waymark Code: WM10CKK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member franketmuriel
Views: 3

Long Description:

  "De smedenpoort (Smedenpoort) is een van de essentiële passages die vandaag nog steeds worden gebruikt om de stad binnen te gaan.

Stevig en rond gebouw, de deur van smeden bestaat uit een massief blok met 3 doorgangen: een zeer grote en zeer hoge deur en 2 kleinere overspanningen op de flanken. Met deze 2 kleine deuren kunnen voetgangers en fietsen snel het terrein oversteken. De grote deur is nu gereserveerd voor voertuigen.

Aan beide zijden van de doorgangen omsluiten 2 grote ronde torens de doorgang. De deur van de smid is stevig gebouwd van baksteen en steen en heeft weinig openingen aan de buitenkant van de stad. Een paar kleine ramen die ver boven de hoofdpassage, op de torens en goed geplaatste mazen in de gevel zijn gesierd, versieren de gevel.

Aan de kant van de ingang van de stad weerspiegelen 2 extra avances in de vorm van een driehoek erg ongemakkelijk de defensieve rol van het boek. Aan de andere kant, voor diegenen die Brugge willen verlaten, is het gebouw mooier en ronder.

Tegenwoordig kaderen 2 metalen looppaden de deur van de smid en laten voetgangers sneller over het kanaal gaan.

Bedekt met een dak in leisteen en bekroond door een belletje dat het sluiten van de stadspoorten doet overgaan, heeft de smedenbrug door de eeuwen heen veel veranderingen ondergaan. De eerste versie van de deur stamt uit 1297 en de constructie ervan duurde 2 jaar. Geïnstalleerd in het midden van de passage op het kanaal, verwoest en herbouwd in 1367, heeft de deur tot voor kort de tand des tijds doorstaan (de Tweede Wereldoorlog heeft het beschadigd). Sindsdien is de deur hersteld en opnieuw geverfd in lichtgeel zoals in het verleden.

Klein morbide detail: een kleine bronzen schedel boven de linkse passage (historische stadskant) vervangt het onthoofde hoofd van de bewaker François van der Straeten die de brugssmeden versierde in 1691. De laatste was ontdekt toen hij bereidde zich voor om de Franse vijand op 25 juni van hetzelfde jaar de stad in te brengen. Opgehangen en onthoofd, zal de verrader worden blootgesteld aan de aanblik van iedereen boven de deur om degenen te herinneren die in de verleiding komen dat het misdrijf streng wordt bestraft. "

Sources : De smedenpoort

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"The smith's door (Smedenpoort in Dutch) is one of the essential passages still used today to enter the city.

Solid and rounded building, the door of blacksmiths consists of a massive block with 3 passages: a very large and very high door and 2 smaller spans on its flanks. These 2 small doors allow pedestrians and bicycles to quickly cross the premises. The big door is now reserved for vehicles.

On each side of the passages, 2 large round towers frame the passage. Solidly built of brick and stone, the blacksmith's door has very few openings on the outside of the city. A few small windows located well above the main passage, on the towers as well as well-arranged loopholes adorn the facade.

On the side of the entrance to the city, 2 additional advances in the shape of a triangle very uncomfortable reflect the defensive role of the book. On the other side, for those who want to go out of Bruges, the building is nicer and rounder.

Today, 2 metal walkways frame the blacksmith's door and allow pedestrians to pass faster over the canal.

Covered with a slate roof and surmounted by a small bell that rings the closing of the city gates, the blacksmiths bridge has undergone many changes over the centuries. The first version of the door dates from 1297 and its construction lasted 2 years. Installed in the middle of the passage on the channel, destroyed and rebuilt in 1367, the door has endured the tests of time until recently (the second world war has damaged it). Since then, the door has been restored and repainted in light yellow as it was in the past.

Small morbid detail: a small bronze skull above the left passage (historic city side) replaces the headless head of the guardian François van der Straeten who adorned the bridge blacksmiths in 1691. The latter had been discovered while he s was preparing to bring the French enemy into the city on June 25 of the same year. Hanged and beheaded, the traitor will be exposed to the sight of everyone above the door to remind those who are tempted that the crime is severely punished. "

Sources : The Door

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

  " La porte des forgerons (Smedenpoort en néerlandais) est un des passage incontournable encore utilisé aujourd’hui pour rentrer dans la cité.

Bâtiment massif et arrondi, la porte des forgerons se compose d’un bloc massif dôté de 3 passages : une très grande et très haute porte et 2 plus petites travées sur ses flancs. Ces 2 petites portes permettent aux piétons et aux vélos de rapidement franchir les lieux. La grande porte est aujourd’hui réservée aux véhicules.

De chaque côté des passages, 2 grosses tours rondes encadrent le passage. Solidement construite en brique et en pierre, la porte des forgerons n’a que très peu d’ouvertures sur l’extérieur de la ville. Quelques petites fenêtres situées bien au-dessus du passage principal, sur les tours ainsi que des meurtrières bien disposées habillent la façade.

Du côté de l’entrée dans la ville, 2 avancées supplémentaires en forme de triangle fort peu avenantes traduisent le rôle défensif de l’ouvrage. De l’autre côté, pour ceux qui veulent sortir de Bruges, le bâtiment est plus agréable et arrondi.

Aujourd’hui, 2 passerelles métalliques encadrent la porte des forgerons et permet aux piétons de passer plus rapidement au dessus du canal.

Recouvert d’un toit en ardoise et surmonté d’une petite cloche qui sonne la fermeture des portes de la ville, le pont des forgerons a connu de nombreux changement au fil des siècles. La première version de la porte date de 1297 et sa construction a duré 2 années. Installée en plein milieu du passage sur le canal, détruite et reconstruite en 1367, la porte a subi les épreuves du temps jusqu’à récemment (la seconde guerre mondiale l’a bien endommagée). Depuis, la porte a été restaurée et repeinte en jaune claire comme elle l’était par le passé.

Petit détail morbide : un petit crâne de bronze situé au dessus du passage de gauche (côté ville historique) remplace la tête décapitée du gardien François van der Straeten qui orna le pont des forgerons en 1691. Ce dernier avait été découvert alors qu’il s’apprêtait à faire entrer l’ennemi français dans la ville le 25 juin de la même année. Pendu puis décapité, le traître sera exposé à la vue de tous au dessus de la porte afin de rappeler à ceux qui seraient tentés que le crime est sévèrement puni. "

Sources : La Porte

Adresse/Adres/Adresses/Address:
Smedenstraat
Brugge, West-Vlaanderen Belgique
8000


Année de construction/Bouwjaar/Baujahr/Year of construction: 1297

Date d'arrêté/ Datum van het Besluit/ Datum der Unterschutzstellung/ Date of protection: 05-12-1962

Numéro de dossier/Dossiernummer/Dateinummer/File number: ID: 82520

URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[ENG]
Take one or more personally-obtained photos of the monument, or a very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo.
[FR]
Prenez une ou plusieurs photos personnelles du monument, ou une description très détaillée de votre visite peut se substituer à une photo.
[NL]
Neem een of meer persoonlijk verkregen foto's van het monument, of een zeer gedetailleerde beschrijving van uw bezoek kan in de plaats komen van een foto.
[DE]
Mach ein oder mehreren persönliches Bilden von dem Monument, oder eine sehr detaillierte Beschreibung Ihres Besuchs kann ein Foto ersetzen.

 

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Belgium Monument Registers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Andre 61 visited Smedenpoort (Porte des Forgerons) - Brugge, Belgium 9/27/2019 Andre 61 visited it
pmaupin visited Smedenpoort (Porte des Forgerons) - Brugge, Belgium 4/14/2019 pmaupin visited it

View all visits/logs