Tri-State Identification Marker - 1915 & 1955 - Southwest City, MO & AR & OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 36° 29.977 W 094° 37.069
15S E 355109 N 4040582
Quick Description: Original marker, the upgraded, then improved again, without removing the old...point where Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma meet.
Location: Arkansas, United States
Date Posted: 4/14/2019 6:10:44 AM
Waymark Code: WM10CJA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 2

Long Description:

County of marker: Benton County, AR; Delaware County, OK; McDonald County, MO
Location of marker: MO-43, OK-20 & AR-43, SW city limits, Southwest City (MO)
Original stone on top dated 1830
1st Restoration by: Ozark Culture Club - 1915.
2nd Restoration by: Southwest City Lions Club - 1955

Monument Text:

MISSOURI 1821
ARKANSAS 1836
OKLAHOMA 1907

[This marker is the point where the 3 states borders meet.
The top stone is from 1830's and original.
The middle sections was placed in 1915.
The base and divided circle foundation were placed as part of the restoration in 1955.
This point is also the western end of the Mason-Dixon Line.]


Although the Mason-Dixon line is most commonly associated with the division between the northern and southern (free and slave, respectively) states during the 1800s and American Civil War-era, the line was delineated in the mid-1700s to settle a property dispute. The two surveyors who mapped the line, Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon, will always be known for their famous boundary.

In 1632, King Charles I of England gave the first Lord Baltimore, George Calvert, the colony of Maryland. Fifty years later, in 1682, King Charles II gave William Penn the territory to the north, which later became Pennsylvania. A year later, Charles II gave Penn land on the Delmarva Peninsula (the peninsula that includes the eastern portion of modern Maryland and all of Delaware).

The description of the boundaries in the grants to Calvert and Penn did not match and there was a great deal of confusion as to where the boundary (supposedly along 40 degrees north) lay. The Calvert and Penn families took the matter to the British court and England's chief justice declared in 1750 that the boundary between southern Pennsylvania and northern Maryland should lie 15 miles south of Philadelphia. A decade later, the two families agreed on the compromise and set out to have the new boundary surveyed. Unfortunately, colonial surveyors were no match for the difficult job and two experts from England had to be recruited.

Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon arrived in Philadelphia in November 1763. Mason was an astronomer who had worked at the Royal Observatory at Greenwich and Dixon was a renowned surveyor. The two had worked together as a team prior to their assignment to the colonies.

After arriving in Philadelphia, their first task was to determine the exact absolute location of Philadelphia. From there, they began to survey the north-south line that divided the Delmarva Peninsula into the Calvert and Penn properties. Only after the Delmarva portion of the line had been completed did the duo move to mark the east-west running line between Pennsylvania and Maryland.

They precisely established the point fifteen miles south of Philadelphia and since the beginning of their line was west of Philadelphia, they had to begin their measurement to the east of the beginning of their line. They erected a limestone benchmark at their point of origin.

Over fifty years later, the boundary between the two states along the Mason-Dixon line came into the spotlight with the Missouri Compromise of 1820. This is the first time the title "Mason-Dixon Line was used in hisory. The Compromise established a boundary between the slave states of the south and the free states of the north (however its separation of Maryland and Delaware is a bit confusing since Delaware was a slave state that stayed in the Union).

This boundary became referred to as the Mason-Dixon line because it began in the east along the Mason-Dixon line and headed westward to the Ohio River and along the Ohio to its mouth at the Mississippi River and then west along 36 degrees 30 minutes North. This is today's AR-MO southern border, leading to this point.

Year built or dedicated as indicated on the structure or plaque: 1830s - dedicated in 1915 then again in 1955

Full Inscription (unless noted above):
ERECTED BY

OZARK
CULTURE CLUB
1915

1955

[separate location for 1955 sponsor reads:]
ANOTHER
LIONS
[L Inside Lion Image]
International
SOUTHWEST CITY
LIONS CLUB PROJECT



Website (if available): [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:


Any log as a visit to a waymark will require a picture as proof that the person visited a particular dated architectural structure. Any posted visits not containing a picture in the log will risk being being deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
The Snowdog visited Tri-State Identification Marker - 1915 & 1955 - Southwest City, MO & AR & OK 7/17/2020 The Snowdog visited it
BWJM visited Tri-State Identification Marker - 1915 & 1955 - Southwest City, MO & AR & OK 5/23/2019 BWJM visited it

View all visits/logs