St Guthlac - Branston, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 51.420 W 000° 47.936
30U E 648192 N 5858633
Quick Description: Medieval church of St Guthlac, an East Anglian Saint, Branston.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/14/2019 3:06:20 AM
Waymark Code: WM10CHF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
"The ancient Parish Church at Branston has a prominent position in the main street and is one of only 9 churches in the country dedicated to Saint Guthlac, an East Anglian Saint. Christian worship has been offered on this site for 1300years, the present church being built of local stone onwards from the 13th c.

The interior of the church is spacious and airy, large enough to accommodate a rare 18th c. Hugh Russell organ built into a western gallery. Amongst other features it has fine Norman arches, a Norman Font, and a slab tomb to John Spethyn dated from 1460 in the N. Aisle.

Our church is unlocked from dawn to dusk daily and all are welcome to enter."

SOURCE - (visit link)

"Parish church. C13 west tower with late C14 steeple. C13 nave and aisles, aisles with later fenestration. C13 chancel altered C15. South porch added 1872 and south aisle restored. 1895-6 new nave and chancel roofs and further restorations by Bodley and Garner. Ironstone with limestone dressings and lead roofs. Unbuttressed 3 stage tower, externally of 2 stages. Arched lancet to west. Lancets to ringing chamber and paired lancets to belfry under containing semi-circular super-arch. Late C14 limestone crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles below octagonal crocketed spire. 2-light south aisle west window with quatrefoil vesica: c. 1300. C19 gabled south porch. One lancet and one 3-light C19 window to east of porch. C19 chapel at east end of south aisle with 2-light windows. 2 3-light ogeed north aisle windows under square heads and, between them, an arched doorway. Perpendicular clerestory: 3 3-light panel tracery south windows under segmental arches; 3 2-light north windows under square heads. Perpendicular chancel windows, that to east of 5 lights. To north side a single C13 lancet. Priests' door to west end. Interior. 3-bay arcade on octagonal north piers and circular south piers. North piers with polygonal capitals with some nailhead ornament. South piers on waterholding bases and with undercut capitals. C19 nave roof of tie beams on arched braces, ridge piece and purlins. Triple chamfered tower arch and double chamfered chancel arch. C12 font: octagonal with engaged columns to stem and intersecting arches to bowl, with nailhead. In chancel an alabaster floor slab to John Spethyn, 1460."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.