Bell tower Stadtkirche St. Marien - Celle, Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 52° 37.455 E 010° 04.840
32U E 573150 N 5831021
Quick Description: The town church St. Marien with a bell tower in Celle.
Location: Niedersachsen, Germany
Date Posted: 4/11/2019 7:08:25 AM
Waymark Code: WM10C2J
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 1

Long Description:



"Die Stadtkirche St. Marien ist die evangelisch-lutherische Stadtkirche von Celle.

Der Bau der Stadtkirche St. Marien wurde vermutlich 1292 begonnen. Zu der Zeit, als Herzog Otto II. der Strenge Altencelle aufgab und vier Kilometer nordwestlich eine neue Siedlung, die spätere Stadt Celle, gründete. Die ursprünglich rein gotische, querschifflose, aus Backsteinen und Feldsteinen errichtete dreischiffige Hallenkirche wurde im Jahre 1308 „unserer lewen frowe“ – der Jungfrau Maria – geweiht.
Erst 1516 erhielt die Kirche einen Turm. Dieser wurde aber bereits 1530 wieder abgerissen und durch einen Glockenstuhl ersetzt. Oberhalb dieses Glockenstuhls wurde 1532 ein Uhrenhaus eingebaut. In alten Unterlagen wird 1551 eine Sanguhr (eine Uhr mit einem Glockenspiel) erwähnt. Der Glockenstuhl wurde 1576 durch einen Dachreiter ersetzt. Dieser Dachreiter musste 1717 dem noch heute erhaltenen Dachreiter weichen. 1896 wurde eine neue Turmuhr in den Dachreiter eingebaut, die noch heute zu besichtigen und – bis auf das Zeigerwerk – noch voll funktionsfähig ist. 1913 wurde der 74 Meter hohe Kirchturm an der Westseite der Kirche gebaut. Ab ca. 1970 wurden die Uhren am Kirchturm durch eine elektromechanische Uhr gesteuert. Bei den heutigen Turmuhren wird seit 1999 die Zeit computerkontrolliert geregelt.
1967/68 wurde auf der Grundlage eines Gutachtens von Konrad Hecht die gesamte Kirche renoviert. Ab 1993 erfolgte die Sanierung des Tonnengewölbes.

In der Zeit von April bis Ende Oktober können die Besucher den 74 Meter hohen Turm besteigen.

In ihm hängt ein großes Geläut aus vier Glocken, von denen die größte, 8,202 Kilogramm schwere Friedensglocke (Schlagton: ges0) 2008 die Glockengießerei Bachert in Karlsruhe goss und zum 1. Advent desselben Jahres eingeweiht wurde. Sie wurde anlässlich der 700-Jahr-Feier der Stadtkirche vom Rat der Stadt gestiftet. Zwei Uhrschlag-Glocken in den Schlagtönen b1 und des2 kommen aus demselben Guss. Im Zuge dessen wurden die drei vorhandenen Barockglocken aus den Jahren 1664 (b0), 1701 (des1) und 1723 (es1) restauriert. Diese hingen vor dem Turmbau im Gewölbe unter dem Kirchendach. Die Glocken hängen im Holzglockenstuhl an Holzjochen und verfügen über neue geschmiedete Klöppel."

Stadtkirche St. Marien (Celle)

Photo goes Here



"The city church St. Marien is the Evangelical Lutheran city church of Celle.

The construction of the city church St. Marien was probably started in 1292. At the time when Duke Otto II gave up the Strict Altencelle and founded a new settlement, the later town of Celle, four kilometres to the north-west. The originally purely Gothic, transeptless, three-nave hall church built of bricks and stones was consecrated in 1308 to "our lewen frowe" - the Virgin Mary.
It was not until 1516 that the church received a tower. However, it was demolished in 1530 and replaced by a bell tower. Above this belfry a clock house was built in 1532. In old documents a Sanguhr (a clock with a glockenspiel) is mentioned 1551. The belfry was replaced by a ridge turret in 1576. In 1717, this ridge turret had to give way to the ridge turret still in existence today. In 1896 a new tower clock was installed in the ridge turret, which can still be seen today and - except for the hands - is still fully functional. In 1913 the 74 metre high church tower was built on the west side of the church. From around 1970 the clocks on the steeple were controlled by an electromechanical clock. Today's tower clocks are computer controlled since 1999.
In 1967/68 the entire church was renovated on the basis of an expert opinion by Konrad Hecht. In 1993 the barrel vault was renovated.

In the period from April to the end of October, visitors can climb the 74 metre high tower.

It contains a large ring of four bells, the largest of which, weighing 8,202 kilograms, was cast by the Bachert Bell Foundry in Karlsruhe in 2008 and inaugurated on the 1st Advent of the same year. It was donated by the city council on the occasion of the 700th anniversary of the city church. Two clock bells in the striking tones b1 and des2 come from the same casting. In the course of this the three existing baroque bells from the years 1664 (b0), 1701 (des1) and 1723 (es1) were restored. They hung in the vault under the church roof in front of the tower. The bells hang in the wooden bell cage on wooden yokes and have new forged bobbins."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Address of Tower:
An der Stadtkirche 8
Celle,
29221


Still Operational: yes

Number of bells in tower?: 4

Relevant website?: [Web Link]

Rate tower:

Tours or visits allowed in tower?: Yes

Visit Instructions:
Please post an original picture of the tower taken while you were there. Please also record how you came to be at this tower and any other interesting information you learned about it while there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bell Towers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
kaschper69 visited Bell tower Stadtkirche St. Marien - Celle, Niedersachsen, Germany 4/11/2019 kaschper69 visited it