By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Ancienne abbaye Notre-Dame de Soyons - Valence, Drôme, Rhône-Alpes, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member blackjack65
N 44° 55.989 E 004° 53.229
31T E 648909 N 4977256
Quick Description: L’abbaye Notre-Dame de Soyons est une ancienne abbaye bénédictine de femmes située à Valence (Drôme). Elle fut créée en 1632 par le transfert de l’abbaye de Saint-Jean l’Évangéliste du bourg de Soyons (Ardèche) à la suite des guerres de religion.
Location: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France
Date Posted: 4/9/2019 1:09:17 PM
Waymark Code: WM10BV2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:
Histoire:
Le monastère bénédictin de la commune ardéchoise de Soyons était l’un des plus anciens. Il aurait été créé par des religieuses venant de Viviers (Ardèche), où une petite communauté s’était formée autour du tombeau de saint Venant ou Venance, évêque. Chassées par les invasions de Sarrasins, elles se seraient réfugiées à Soyons. Un important sanctuaire carolingien y a existé, dont on a retrouvé des vestiges. Un premier document faisant état du monastère daterait de 1179, mais son implantation était déjà très ancienne.

Lors des guerres de religion, Soyons est aux mains des Protestants. Plusieurs combats s’y déroulent, jusqu’à la prise définitive de la cité par les troupes royales en 1629. Mais le monastère a énormément souffert, incendié par deux fois, ses biens ont été pillés, les religieuses elles-mêmes se sont dispersées. L’abbesse Antoinette de Sassenage décide alors de faire agréger son abbaye à celle de Chezal-Benoît. Puis elle obtient de réunir ses religieuses dans un nouveau monastère à Valence. Elle achète des terres en ville basse, sur les bords du Rhône. Les travaux sont achevés en 1632.

Abbesses:
Antoinette de Sassenage, abbesse du monastère de Soyons depuis 1624 (entrée en fonction effective en 1628), dirige la construction de la nouvelle abbaye à Valence. Elle remet sa démission en 1633. Lui succède :
Louise de Sassenage, sa sœur (1633-1661). Sous sa direction est construite la chapelle du monastère qui subsiste aujourd’hui.
Marie-Marguerite de Sassenage, nièce de Louise (1661-1703).
Paule-Catherine de Sassenage (1703-1736)
Marguerite Françoise de Fortia de Montréal (1736-1748)
Françoise de La Rivoire (1748-1757)
Henriette Élisabeth de Maugiron (1757-1770)
Anne Gabrielle de Sassenage, à partir de 1770, dernière abbesse.

Le monastère, aux approches de la Révolution, est en déclin. Il ne survit pas aux événements du temps et est promis à la démolition. Il est sauvé par le patriotisme révolutionnaire des Valentinois, auxquels on accorde la création d’un arsenal. La chapelle devient un atelier, tandis que le reste de l’abbaye abrite les réserves et les nombreux employés.

Le grand retable de saint Venant est transféré à la chapelle des Capucins, les reliques du saint (le peu qu’il en restait après les guerres de religion) y avaient déjà été déposées afin de préserver les religieuses de l’abbaye de l’afflux incessant des pèlerins. Par la suite les reliques furent transférées à l’église Saint-Jean-Baptiste.

Architecture:
Il ne subsiste de l’ensemble conventuel que l’église élevée en 1632, en forme de croix grecque, légèrement plus longue du côté de la nef et du chœur. Englobé progressivement dans le quartier des pêcheurs, le bâtiment a été dégagé par la démolition des vieilles maisons qui l’entouraient et notamment le pâté de maisons devant la façade, libérant ainsi une place engazonnée qui met l’ensemble en valeur.

Façade:
La façade de style classique xviie siècle est le principal centre d’intérêt de l’édifice, qui ne comporte par ailleurs aucun élément de décoration. Parfaitement symétrique, on a pu lui attribuer le qualificatif de « style Pompadour », avec une ornementation classique d’inspiration antiquisante. Elle était construite en molasse, pierre locale très fragile, et était particulièrement dégradée, la partie centrale s’affaissant : le portail central étant muré a sauvé la façade d’une ruine totale. Elle a été restaurée en 2010. On ignore si les trois niches de cette façade ont été occupées par des statues.

À gauche de la façade, dans un mur d’enceinte, s’ouvre une porte surmontée de l’inscription « Arsenal ».

Extérieur:
Le reste de l’édifice, tant extérieur qu’intérieur, est d’une grande sobriété. Le chevet plat ne porte aucune ouverture. Les murs extérieurs sont droits et nus, et bien que l’église soit voûtée, les contreforts sont à peine visibles. Après la disparition des bâtiments conventuels et ceux de l’arsenal, la chapelle est maintenant isolée dans un parc, et séparée du Rhône par une route et l’autoroute.

Intérieur:
L’intérieur a vu son sol surélevé lorsque l’édifice a été converti en atelier de l’arsenal, pour le mettre à l’abri des crues du Rhône. En attendant une affectation qui préludera à une restauration de l’espace intérieur, la nef, inaccessible au public, est actuellement (2013) un hangar à bateaux : vieilles barques de pêcheurs, barques de joutes, canoés, témoignages du passé lié au fleuve proche. L’ancienne abbaye est incluse dans la parcelle de la piscine Jean-Bouin et dépend donc du Service des sports de la ville de Valence.

Une partie du chœur a été convertie en habitation jusqu’à une époque récente. Dans la nef, les clés de voûte portent les armoiries des abbesses, notamment celles de la famille de Sassenage.

L’autel et son retable, avec un tableau représentant saint Venance, ont été transférés à la chapelle des Capucins de Valence où ils sont visibles lors de l’ouverture au public de l’édifice.

Source: (visit link)

-/-

Notre-Dame de Soyons Abbey is a former Benedictine abbey of women located in Valence (Drôme). It was created in 1632 by the transfer of the abbey of Saint-Jean Evangelist from the town of Soyons (Ardèche) following the wars of religion.

History:
The Benedictine monastery of the Ardèche commune of Soyons was one of the oldest. It was created by nuns from Viviers (Ardeche), where a small community was formed around the tomb of Saint Venant or Venance, bishop. Driven by the invasions of Saracens, they would have taken refuge in Soyons. An important Carolingian sanctuary has existed, of which remains have been found. A first document mentioning the monastery dates from 1179, but its implantation was already very old.

During the wars of religion, Soyons is in the hands of the Protestants. Several fights took place there, until the final capture of the city by the royal troops in 1629. But the monastery suffered enormously, burned twice, its property was looted, the nuns themselves dispersed. Abbess Antoinette de Sassenage then decided to have her abbey added to that of Chezal-Benoît. Then she gets to reunite her nuns in a new monastery in Valence. She buys land in the lower town, on the banks of the Rhone. The works are completed in 1632.

Abbesses:
Antoinette de Sassenage, abbess of the monastery of Soyons since 1624 (effective start in 1628), directs the construction of the new abbey in Valence. She resigned in 1633. She is succeeded by:
Louise de Sassenage, her sister (1633-1661). Under her direction is built the chapel of the monastery that survives today.
Marie-Marguerite de Sassenage, niece of Louise (1661-1703).
Paule-Catherine of Sassenage (1703-1736)
Marguerite Françoise de Fortia of Montreal (1736-1748)
Francoise de La Rivoire (1748-1757)
Henriette Elisabeth de Maugiron (1757-1770)
Anne Gabrielle de Sassenage, from 1770, last abbess.

The monastery, at the approach of the Revolution, is in decline. It does not survive the events of its time and is promised to be demolished. It is saved by the revolutionary patriotism of Valentinois, to whom the creation of an arsenal is granted. The chapel becomes a workshop, while the rest of the abbey is home to the reserves and the many employees.

The great altarpiece of Saint Venant is transferred to the chapel of the Capuchins, the relics of the saint (the little that remained after the wars of religion) having already been filed there to preserve the nuns of the Abbey of the influx incessant pilgrims. Subsequently the relics were transferred to the Saint-Jean-Baptiste church.

Architecture:
Only the church built in 1632, in the shape of a Greek cross, slightly longer on the side of the nave and choir, survives from the conventual ensemble. Encompassed gradually in the fishermen's quarter, the building was cleared by the demolition of the old houses that surrounded it and especially the block in front of the facade, thus freeing a grassed place that highlight the whole structure.

Facade:
The classic seventeenth century facade is the main focus of the building, which features no decorative element. Perfectly symmetrical, it has been attributed the qualifier "Pompadour style", with a classic ornamentation of antiquity inspiration. It was built in molasse, a very fragile local stone, and was particularly degraded, the central part sagging: the central gate being walled saved the facade of total ruin. It was restored in 2010. It is not known if the three niches of this facade were occupied by statues.

To the left of the facade, in a wall, opens a door surmounted by the inscription "Arsenal".

Outside:
The rest of the building, both exterior and interior, is very sober. The flat bedside bears no opening. The outer walls are straight and bare, and although the church is vaulted, the buttresses are barely visible. After the disappearance of the conventual buildings and those of the arsenal, the chapel is now isolated in a park, and separated from the Rhone by a road and the highway.

Interior:
The interior saw its floor elevated when the building was converted into a workshop for the arsenal, to protect it from the floods of the Rhone. Pending an assignment that will be a prelude to a restoration of the interior space, the nave, inaccessible to the public, is currently (2013) a boathouse: old fishing boats, jousting boats, canoes, testimonys of the past linked to the nearby river. The former abbey is included in the plot of the Jean-Bouin swimming pool and therefore depends on the Sports Department of the city of Valence.

Part of the choir has been converted into a dwelling until recently. In the nave, the keystones bear the coat of arms of the abbesses, particularly those of the Sassenage family.

The altar and its altarpiece, with a painting of Saint Venance, were transferred to the Chapel of the Capuchins of Valence where they are visible during the opening of the building to the public.
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Abbaye Notre-Dame de Soyons

Address:
8, rue Saint-Martin
Valence, France
26000


Religious affiliation: Abbaye bénédictine de femmes, Catholique

Date founded/constructed: 1632

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.