Ancienne abbaye de Saint-Ruf "le Haut" - Valence, Drôme, Rhône-Alpes, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member blackjack65
N 44° 56.027 E 004° 53.399
31T E 649130 N 4977331
Quick Description: L'ordre des chanoines réguliers de Saint-Ruf est né d'une petite communauté de clercs installée le 1er janvier 1039 dans un lieu de culte mentionné au Xe siècle dans la périphérie d'Avignon par concession de l'évêque d'Avignon Benoît 1er.
Location: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France
Date Posted: 4/9/2019 1:08:24 PM
Waymark Code: WM10BV1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:
Il devient un des fers de lance de la réforme du clergé dans le sillon rhodanien et au-delà. Après une ruine de l'abbaye Saint-Ruf d'Avignon pendant les troubles de la croisade des Albigeois en 1156, l'importance acquise par les chanoines de Saint-Ruf, dont dépend près de 500 abbayes et prieurés, a généré des tensions avec le chapitre cathédral, qui aboutissent au transfert du chef d'ordre (c'est-à-dire l'abbaye-mère) à Valence dans la Drôme.

Moyen Âge:
Paradoxalement, lorsque les chanoines acquièrent en 1158 l'île de l'Épervière, nouveau site de l'abbaye, de l'évêque Odon de Crussol, la présence rufaine à Valence est toute récente, puisque c'est sous son prédécesseur Bernard qu'a été créé le premier établissement rufain à Valence à partir d'une église dédiée à saint Jacques (localement, saint Jacme ou James) et d'un hospice. Valence est en effet une étape vers la via Podiensis et Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle.

Le site insulaire de l'Épervière est délimité à l'ouest par le cours du Rhône, à l'est par le cours de l'Epervière (la plus courte rivière de France, formée par la réunion de la plupart des canaux valentinois), et au nord par la Robine (site de l'actuel parc Jouvet). Ce site est sans doute peu occupé jusqu'à l'installation des Rufains, et à la construction de la nouvelle abbaye Saint-Ruf, dont les bâtiments sont mal connus, puisque ne subsiste actuellement sur le site qu'une ferme ruinée, adossée au xvie siècle à un pan de mur de l'abbatiale. Malgré les inondations répétées du Rhône au xiiie siècle et l'insécurité qui pousse parfois les chanoines à trouver refuge intra-muros dans le prieuré Saint-James au xive siècle, l'abbaye de l'Épervière reste le siège de l'ordre de Saint-Ruf jusqu'aux ravages des guerres de religion. Une fondation des seigneurs de Crussol vers 1400 permet même d'y développer un second lieu de culte, la chapelle de la Madeleine (attestée depuis la fin du xiie siècle).

Renaissance:
Maître de Valence en 1567, le baron des Adrets fait effondrer toutes les églises de la ville. L'abbaye de l'Épervière ne sera jamais reconstruite, les chanoines choisissant de reconstruire leur abbaye au début du xviie siècle autour de leur prieuré de Saint-James. L'édifice, de structure romane, est alors profondément remanié et doté d'une nouvelle façade (à l'est, soit la rue Saint-James), alors que sont reconstruits au nord des bâtiments conventuels.

Période moderne:
Au xviiie siècle, le dernier abbé Jacques de Tardivon fait construire un palais abbatial au nord de cet ensemble, juste avant la sécularisation de l'ordre. Ne subsiste que la porte de cet hôtel abbatial, qui accueillit la préfecture de la Drôme jusqu'à sa destruction par un bombardement en 1944. L'église Saint-James, quant à elle, est devenue le temple de l'Être Suprême, puis le temple protestant de Valence à la suite d'un décret impérial de 1806. Dans l'abside est placé un monument où est conservé le cœur du général Championnet.

Source: (visit link)

-/-

The order of the regular canons of St. Ruf, born in Avignon, when a small community of clerics installed on 1 January 1039 in a place of worship mentioned in the tenth century on the outskirts of Avignon by concession of the bishop of Avignon Benoît the 1st.

It became one of the spearheads of the reform of the clergy in the Rhone Valley and beyond. After the ruin of the Abbey Saint-Ruf of Avignon during the troubles of the crusade of the Albigensians in 1156, the importance acquired by the canons of Saint-Ruf, on which depends nearly 500 abbeys and priories, generated tensions with the cathedral chapter, which lead to the transfer of the head of order (that is to say the abbey-mother) to Valence in the Drôme.

Middle Ages:
Paradoxically, when the canons acquired in 1158 the island of Epervière, new site of the abbey, from the Bishop Odon de Crussol, the rufaine presence in Valencia is quite recent, since it is under his predecessor Bernard that was created the first rufain establishment in Valence from a church dedicated to St. Jacques (locally, St. Jacme or James) and a hospice. Valence is indeed a step towards Via Podiensis and Santiago de Compostela.

The insular site of L'Épervière is bounded on the west by the course of the Rhone, on the east by the course of the Epervière (the shortest river in France, formed by the meeting of most of the valentine canals), and north by Robine (site of the current Jouvet Park). This site is probably little occupied until the installation of the Rufans, and the construction of the new abbey Saint-Ruf, whose buildings are poorly known, since there is currently on the site only a ruined farm, backed by Sixteenth century to a wall of the abbey. Despite the repeated floods of the Rhone in the 13th century and the insecurity that sometimes causes canons to find an inner-city refuge in the 14th century priory of Saint-James, the abbey of L'Épervière remains the seat of the order of Saint-Ruf to the ravages of the wars of religion. A foundation of the lords of Crussol around 1400 even allows to develop a second place of worship, the chapel of the Madeleine (attested since the end of the twelfth century).

Renaissance:
Master of Valence in 1567, Baron des Adrets collapses all the churches in the city. The Abbey of l'Épervière will never be rebuilt, the canons choosing to rebuild their abbey at the beginning of the seventeenth century around their priory of St. James. The building, of Romanesque structure, is then deeply reworked and has a new facade (to the east, on rue Saint-James), while the convent buildings are rebuilt to the north.

Modern period:
In the eighteenth century, the last abbot Jacques de Tardivon built an abbey palace north of this complex, just before the secularization of the order. Only the door of this abbey hotel remains, which welcomed the prefecture of the Drôme until its destruction by a bombing in 1944. The church Saint-James, meanwhile, became the temple of the Supreme Being, then the Protestant church of Valence following an imperial decree of 1806. In the apse is placed a monument where is preserved the heart of General Championnet.
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Abbaye Saint-Ruf de Valence

Address:
16, rue Sabaterie
Valence, Drone France
26000


Religious affiliation: Congrégation des chanoines réguliers de Saint-Ruf d'Avignon, Catholique

Date founded/constructed: Fin du 16e siècle

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.