Chapelle Saint-Julien l'Hospitalier - Cocquerel (Longuet), France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 02.537 E 001° 58.062
31U E 426083 N 5543842
Quick Description: [EN] Located along the path crossing the small hamlet of thirty souls, the small chapel Longuet (Somme), built in the eighteenth century. [FR] Située le long du chemin traversant le petit hameau d’une trentaine d’âmes, la petite chapelle de Longuet (Somme), construite au XVIIIe siècle.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 4/7/2019 4:02:27 AM
Waymark Code: WM10BDZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:

Formerly dedicated to St. Andrew, one of the 12 Apostles of Christ, the chapel fell into ruins in 1689, was rebuilt in 1716 and placed under the protection of Saint-Julien-l'Hospitalier or "the poor".

For several decades, the chapel was closed and opened only once a year, on Easter Monday, for the patron saint's day.

And yet, inside, the little red light indicates that the Blessed Sacrament is exposed to it daily. A rare presence in the region that has many churches and chapels closed, lack of priests and regular faithful.

The Chapelle Saint-Julien-l'Hospitalier, built in local stone and surmounted by a steeple called "comb" or campenard, the hamlet of Longuet.

The stained glass installed in 1939 speaks of the life of the saint. Repair work is done in 1998.

Inside, there is also a wooden Christ that comes from a church in a village in eastern France, transferred to Longuet during the 1914/18 war.

Sources : At the entrance to the chapel you will find an explanatory note on the history.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Autrefois dédiée à Saint-André, l'un des 12 Apôtres du Christ, la chapelle tombée en ruines en 1689, fût rebatie en 1716 et placée sous la protection de Saint-Julien-l'Hospitalier ou "le pauvre".

Pendant plusieurs décennies, la chapelle était fermée et ouverte uniquement une fois par an, le lundi de Pâques, pour la fête du saint patron.

Et pourtant, à l’intérieur, la petite lumière rouge indique que le Saint-Sacrement y est exposé quotidiennement. Une présence rare dans la région qui compte bon nombre d’églises et de chapelles fermées, faute de prêtres et de fidèles réguliers.

La Chapelle Saint-Julien-l'Hospitalier, construite en pierre locale et surmontée d'un clocher dit "à peigne" ou campenard, au hameau de Longuet.

Le vitrail installé en 1939 parle de la vie du saint. Des travaux de réparation sont effectués en 1998.

A l'intérieur, il y a aussi un Christ en bois qui provient d'une église d'un village de l'est de la France, transféré à Longuet pendant la guerre 1914/18.

Sources : A l'entrée de la chapelle vous trouverez une notice explicative sur l'histoire.

Type of Church: Chapel

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 1/1/1716

Diocese: Amiens

Address/Location:
Hameau de Longuet
Rue d'Abbeville
Cocquerel , Somme France
80510


Date of organization: Not listed

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Relvant Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Chapelle Saint-Julien l'Hospitalier - Cocquerel (Longuet), France 4/7/2019 pmaupin visited it