By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Graffiti - St Mary & St Peter - Harlaxton, Lincolnshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 53.046 W 000° 41.369
30U E 655462 N 5861877
Quick Description: Some ancient graffiti carved on a piscina in St Mary & St Peter's church, Harlaxton.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/28/2019 3:13:20 PM
Waymark Code: WM109T4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 1

Long Description:
Some ancient graffiti carved on a piscina in the north Trinity Chapel of St Mary & St Peter's church, Harlaxton.

Inside the piscina is carved what looks to be a church, with spire and cross on top. On the left outside a hexafoil - Hexafoil designs are known to have links to folk magic practices where a six leaf design with concentric circles have been found in homes and occasionally in public buildings to serve as a sign of protection. (Ref - (visit link) )

"St Mary and St Peter's Church is a Grade I listed Church of England parish church dedicated to Saint Mary and Saint Peter in Harlaxton, Lincolnshire, England. The church is situated 2 miles (3 km) south-east from Grantham, and at the eastern edge of the Vale of Belvoir in South Kesteven. It is noted in particular for its association with and memorials to the Harlaxton Manor Gregory and de Ligne families, c.1410 effigies of Sir Richard Rickhill and his wife, Elizabeth, and the church's 19th-century restoration by John Oldrid Scott. According to English Heritage, between 1174 and 1185 land at Harlaxton to build a church was provided by William the Conqueror's grand daughter Matilda. By 1535 Harlaxton held one of the nine chantries within the deanery of Grantham. The present church structure dates, in parts, from the late 12th century, with later additions and alterations in the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries.

The church is within the Harlaxton village conservation area. It is in the ecclesiastical parish of Harlaxton, and is part of the Harlaxton Group of Parishes in the Deanery of Loveden and the Diocese of Lincoln. Other churches in the same group are St Andrew's, Denton; All Saints', Stroxton; St James', Woolsthorpe; and St Catherine's, Wyville."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Type of Surface: Building

Visit Instructions:
Please provide an image from a perspective not already available on the waymark page.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Graffiti
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.