By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Calhoun County Courthouse (Ruins) - Indianola, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member jhuoni
N 28° 31.158 W 096° 29.777
14R E 745024 N 3157286
Quick Description: During low tide, the remains of the second Calhoun County Courthouse can still be seen about 50 yards off shore.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 3/22/2019 4:49:42 PM
Waymark Code: WM108Q0
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Sneakin Deacon
Views: 3

Long Description:

Calhoun County has had five courthouses since 1846, four in Port Lavaca and one in Indianola. The courthouse in Indianola was built in 1857 and destroyed by a hurricane in 1886.

A pink granite monument stands on the shoreline near the ruins.

Calhoun County Courthouse
Edward Beaumont Architect 1859
During the Storm of 1875 and 1886
Precious lives were saved within its walls
of shell concrete and lime.
Abandoned 1886

Texas Escapes - Calhoun County Courthouses

The second county courthouse, built of shell concrete and lime, was completed in Indianola in 1857 (1859 according to the granite marker at the site) and designed by architect Edward Beaumont. As Indianola grew, Lavaca’s population declined, but the citizens managed to steal the county seat title away from Indianola during the Civil War in 1864, claiming that county officials there swore allegiance to the Union while Federal troops occupied the city. Indianola retained their county seat status the following year. Lavaca continued to decline, suffering great damage after a hurricane on September 16, 1875 which also devastated Indianola. Another hurricane on August 20, 1886 practically obliterated Indianola and the town was abandoned. The county seat was moved in 1887 to Lavaca which then became known as Port Lavaca. Today, a large red granite rock near the end of S. Ocean Drive in Indianola marks the location of the former courthouse.

Remains of the 1857 Calhoun County Courthouse, Indianola, Texas

Courthouse

Photo ca. 1945 - Courtesy of the Texas Historical Comission Website.

Year Built: 1859

Current Use of Building: Artificial Reef

Level of Courts: County

Architect: Edward Beaumont

Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1859-1886

Physical Address:
Under the Sea
South Ocean Drive
Indianola, TX


Hours:
Low Tide


Related Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Courthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
tnwave visited Calhoun County Courthouse (Ruins) - Indianola, TX 4/29/2019 tnwave visited it