Crown Oil and Gas - Gilbarco Model 96 vintage gasoline pump - The Villages, Florida USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member 401Photos
N 28° 50.558 W 082° 01.363
17R E 400233 N 3190981
Quick Description: This Gilbarco Model 96 gasoline pump is part of a themed display at the front entrance to Cody's Roadhouse restaurant near the Brownwood Paddock Square in The Villages, Florida.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 3/6/2019 2:24:51 PM
Waymark Code: WM106C2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:

This Gilbarco Model 96 gasoline pump is part of a themed display at the front entrance to Cody's Roadhouse restaurant near the Brownwood Paddock Square in The Villages, Florida.

The group is made up of a 1953 Chevy 3100 pick-up truck, the gas pump, and a lamp post on a red brick deck by the south side of the building. Orange is the primary color among the pieces with black trim and white accents.

This unrestored Calco-Meter, manufactured between 1938 and 1940, has orange front and rear panels and black side panels, top, and base. The sightglass is in the white face plate, differentiating it from the Model 96B. Only two stainless steel ribbed trim pieces remain to frame the face plate on one side. The others are missing from the opposite side and the base. The reset crank handle, hose, and nozzle are intact and in place. Crown Oil*Gas ad glass can be found on the rear side above the face plate; but just clear glass in the front ad space.

Begun in 1865 by Charles Gilbert and John Barker and incorporated in 1870 as Gilbert & Barker Manufacturing Co. of West Springfield, Massachusetts, the business is known today as Gilbarco Veeder-Root and is based in Greensboro, North Carolina. Click here to read the company history.

The Petrolania Collectibles web site has a brief version of the maker's story:

Gilbert & Barker Manufacturing Company (Gilbarco)

Springfield, Massachusetts

...In 1935, G&B started referring to their pumps as the “Gilbarco.” In 1965, the company name was changed to Gilbarco, and in 1966 the plant and headquarters were moved to Greensboro, North Carolina.

Gilbarco, in 1987, was acquired by the General Electric Company (GEC).

In 1999 Gilbarco was renamed Marconi Commerce Systems, and GEC changed the corporation name to Marconi.

More changes came in 2002 when the company was acquired by the Danaher Corporation. Danaher was the parent company of Veeder-Root and the Red Jacket, and in 2003 the assets of the Gasboy company were acquired after the closing of Tokheim. Gilbarco now operates under the name Gilbarco Veeder-Root.

Not only a leader in the manufacturing of gas pumps, they also have a software division providing software for convenience stores. The next time you stop for gas, look down on the side of the pump for the name of the manufacturer, it will probably be a Gilbarco.

Gasoline Brand: Crown

Reproduction: no

Location: Outside

Visit Instructions:
VISIT LOGS

1. The waymark coordinates must be personally visited.
2. Give the date and a description of your visit.
3. Post at least one photo taken at the time of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Vintage Gasoline Pumps
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
hart612 visited Crown Oil and Gas - Gilbarco Model 96 vintage gasoline pump - The Villages, Florida  USA 4/2/2019 hart612 visited it