Eglise Saint Laurent - Saint Meme, Nouvelle Aquitaine,France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 45° 52.536 W 000° 27.684
30T E 697007 N 5083359
Quick Description: in the town center dans le centre ville
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 3/3/2019 4:48:56 AM
Waymark Code: WM105N9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
Views: 0

Long Description:
Heritage source:
Historical
Of the original church, there remains only the Romanesque facade of the 12th century, which is based on a nave dating back to the 15th century or the 16th century. The sacristy may have been built on the site of an old chevet, where several departures of walls are visible on the eastern facade.
During the 19th century, the church was repaired more or less important. In 1855 and 1858, work was carried out, notably on the bell and the roof, which partly collapsed. Around 1872, the roof, which is again damaged, was repaired again.
In the 4th quarter of the 20th century, around 1985, the facade was restored and in 2005, the roof was repaired and the façade restored. These restorations are visible on the west portal including the repair of one of the portal capitals columns and on the cornice modillions that have probably been resized.

The first mention of the church found in archival documents dates from the 4th quarter of the 18th century, from 1791. In a recapitulative state of the auctions of land, vineyards, etc. it is said that a cure was at Sainte-Même.
At the beginning of the 19th century, in 1806, the church was not used because the town was then annexed to Nantillé for worship. In 1858, 1859 and 1874, requests to obtain the title of parish or to be established as a branch (annex 1) were issued by the municipality and the inhabitants, but these never came to an end.
In 1886, Sainte-Même then made a request for the church to be erected in chapel. This request will be refused by the higher authorities in March 1888, but the town will eventually be established as a parish on September 1, 1888.
Main date (s): 12th century; 15th century (?); 16th century (?)
Secondary date (s): 19th century; 4th quarter 20th century

Description
The western facade of the church is surmounted by a steeple which takes the form of a campanile with two bays. The portal has two voussures whose external rests on capitals columns carved birds faced. This voussoir, surmounted by a archivolt in points of diamonds, is carved on all its surfaces of checkerboard. The internal voussure is carved, meanwhile, geometric patterns partly eroded. Above, a carved cornice of geometric motifs is supported by twelve carved modillions, alternating geometric, animal and human forms. The semicircular windows of the campanile, surmounted by a stone cross, rest on a carved checkerboard support.
The north facade, pierced by two ogival windows, has a broad buttress on which stand out two carved modillions, perhaps remnants of the early church. These represent two characters, an acrobat and a squatting woman.
The sacristy, erected in coated rubble, leans on the eastern facade and is covered with a roof with long hollow tile.

Inside, the nave is covered with a flat plaster ceiling and has a molded cornice. On the back wall is an altarpiece carved two striated columns with Ionic capitals supporting a convex pediment carved dentils and, in the center, puttos and geometric patterns. The side walls, north and south, have statues with among others the Virgin, Joseph or Joan of Arc, and stained glass windows, one of which represents St. Lawrence.
Decor technique: sculpture
Precision on the representation: Cornice of the west facade supported by carved modillions presenting, from left to right, a human figure in a geometric shape, a figure legs folded and arms crossed, a character probably representing a girl, an animal today without a head, an animal's head, two geometrical shapes, a barrel, a human head, two circles with a star above, and finally three modillions carved with geometric motifs.
Portal of the west facade with two voussures carved geometric patterns, topped with a archivolt in diamond points. Columns of the west portal with carved capitals of birds faced.
Carved figurines of characters, an acrobat and a squatting woman holding a slab, on the buttress of the north facade.

source patrimoine :
Historique
De l'église primitive, il ne reste que la façade romane du 12e siècle, qui s'appuie sur une nef datable du 15e siècle ou du 16e siècle. La sacristie a peut-être été construite à l'emplacement d'un ancien chevet, où plusieurs départs de murs sont visibles sur la façade orientale.
Au cours du 19e siècle, l'église a fait l'objet de réparations plus ou moins importantes. En 1855 et 1858, des travaux sont réalisés, notamment sur la cloche et la toiture qui s'est en partie effondrée. Vers 1872, la toiture, qui est à nouveau endommagée, a été une nouvelle fois réparée.
Dans le 4e quart du 20e siècle, vers 1985, la façade a fait l'objet d'une restauration et en 2005, la toiture a été réparée et la façade de nouveau restaurée. Ces restaurations sont visibles sur le portail ouest avec notamment la réfection d'une des colonnes à chapiteau du portail et sur les modillons de la corniche qui ont été probablement retaillés.

La première mention de l'église trouvée dans des documents d'archives date du 4e quart du 18e siècle, de 1791. Dans un état récapitulatif des adjudications de terres, vignes, etc. il est dit qu'une cure se situait à Sainte-Même.
Au début du 19e siècle, en 1806, l'église n'est pas utilisée car la commune est alors annexée à Nantillé pour le culte. En 1858, 1859 et 1874, des demandes concernant l'obtention soit du titre de paroisse soit qu'elle soit érigée en succursale (annexe 1) sont émises par la municipalité et les habitants, mais celles-ci n'ont jamais abouties.
En 1886, Sainte-Même fait alors une demande pour que l'église soit érigée en chapelle. Cette requête sera refusée par les autorités supérieures en mars 1888, mais la commune sera finalement érigée au rang de paroisse le 1er septembre 1888.
Datation(s) principale(s) : 12e siècle ; 15e siècle (?) ; 16e siècle (?)
Datation(s) secondaire(s) : 19e siècle ; 4e quart 20e siècle

Description
La façade occidentale de l'église est surmontée d'un clocher qui prend la forme d'un campanile à deux baies. Le portail présente deux voussures dont l'externe repose sur des colonnes à chapiteaux sculptés d'oiseaux affrontés. Cette voussure, surmontée d'une archivolte en pointes de diamants, est sculptée sur toute sa surface de damiers. La voussure interne est sculptée, quant à elle, de motifs géométriques en partie érodés. Au-dessus, une corniche sculptée de motifs géométriques est soutenue par douze modillons sculptés, alternant formes géométriques, animales et humaines. Les baies en plein cintre du campanile, surmonté d'une croix en pierre, reposent sur appui sculpté en damier.
La façade nord, percée de deux fenêtres en ogive, est dotée d'un large contrefort sur lequel se distinguent deux modillons sculptés, peut-être des vestiges de l'église primitive. Ceux-ci représentent deux personnages, un acrobate et une femme accroupie.
La sacristie, érigée en moellon enduit, prend appui sur la façade orientale et est couverte d'un toit à longs pans en tuile creuse.

A l'intérieur, la nef, est couverte d'un plafond plat en plâtre et est dotée d'une corniche moulurée. Sur le mur du fond se situe un retable sculpté deux colonnes striées à chapiteaux ioniques soutenant un fronton bombé sculpté de denticules et, au centre, de puttos et de motifs géométriques. Les murs latéraux, nord et sud, disposent de statues avec entre autre la Vierge, Joseph ou encore Jeanne d'Arc, et de vitraux dont un représente Saint Laurent.
Technique du décor : sculpture
Précision sur la représentation : Corniche de la façade ouest soutenue par des modillons sculptés présentant, de gauche à droite, une figure humaine dans une forme géométrique, un personnage jambes pliées et bras croisés, un personnage représentant probablement une fille, un animal aujourd'hui sans tête, une tête d'animal, deux formes géométriques, une barrique, une tête humaine, deux cercles avec au-dessus une étoile, et pour finir trois modillons sculptés de motifs géométriques.
Portail de la façade ouest à deux voussures sculptées de motifs géométriques, surmontées d'une archivolte en pointes de diamants. Colonnes du portail ouest à chapiteaux sculptés d'oiseaux affrontés.
Modillons sculptés de personnages, un acrobate et une femme accroupie tenant une galette, sur le contrefort de la façade nord.
Web site proof of Romanesque features: [Web Link]

Date of origin: 1/1/1200

Type of building (structure): Church

Address:
place de l eglise 17770 Sainte Meme


Architect(s) if known: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the building. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Romanesque Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
sara et gege visited Eglise Saint Laurent - Saint Meme, Nouvelle Aquitaine,France 5/19/2019 sara et gege visited it