St Nicholas' church ruins - Knaptoft, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 30.029 W 001° 04.631
30U E 630519 N 5818443
Quick Description: The Church of Saint Nicholas is now roofless, and is thought to have been sacked and destroyed by Oliver Cromwell's Roundhead forces after the Battle of Naseby in June 1645.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/3/2019 4:15:31 AM
Waymark Code: WM105N0
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BarbershopDru
Views: 0

Long Description:
"Remains of Church. Probably largely C13. Cobble and rubble stone construction. The ruins were consolidated in the earlier C20, and it seems likely that some re-construction was made at the time, throwing doubt on the authenticity of the surviving lay-out and location of specific details. However, possibly the original plan consisted of nave with north tower and chancel: the walls of this tower survive to a height of c6' and are very thick. There is an outer doorway with continuous moulding and the capitals of missing shafts survive. This opens onto a passage terminating with cylindrical clustered shafts. The length of wall running west of this incorporates 2 stumps of shafts, and 2 deeply moulded arches: these fragments may be re-sited however, since both features would appear to relate to doorways. There is also a stub of walling running north, further west than the tower. No west or east walls survive, and the south wall while it exists has been extensively consolidated. The church was reputedly destroyed by Cromwellian soldiers in the wake of the Battle of Naseby."

SOURCE - (visit link)

A plaque near the remains of the doorway arch tells us:
KNAPTOFT CHURCH RUINS

Knaptoft church was originally part of the
wealthy Manor and Estate of Knaptoft which
in 1301 consisted of the Manor House with
enclosed garden, two fish ponds, 26 tenants
including a miller to operate the windmill.
At this time the estate was one of the most
important in the county.

After enclosures and a change to sheep farming
in the 15th century, the estate dwindled
in population to the Lord and five labourers by
1524. The mounds and remains of the lost
village can be seen nearby, and the adjacent
farmhouse is thought to occupy the site of the
Manor. The visible ruins are believed to be
those of the church built in the 13th century,
thought to have been destroyed by Parliamentary
Forces during the Civil War.


and another nearby plaque says that the ruins were preserved through the generosity of a Henry T. Mills of Langton Hall in 1932.
Type: Ruin

Fee: 0

Related URL: [Web Link]

Hours: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Original photographs showing additional views of the Ruin/Remnant or even just its current condition are encouraged. Please describe your visit, especially if no additional photos are available. Did you like the Ruin or Remnant? What prompted you to see the Ruin or Remnant?
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.