Cathédrale Saint Etienne - Saint Brieuc, Bretagne, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 48° 30.852 W 002° 45.834
30U E 517436 N 5373480
Quick Description: in the town center la cathédrale est dans le centre à coté des Halles.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 3/1/2019 12:30:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM1058D
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 1

Long Description:
according to the website info Brittany:
Historical. - Started in the last quarter of the 12th century and finished under the bishopric of Bishop Philippe (1235-1248), the cathedral keeps only a few reused elements from this period, as well as the lower parts of the north tower and the gable adjacent western. After the fire which destroyed it in 1353, it was, almost entirely rebuilt, reusing many old materials; but, hardly finished, it was deeply, damaged by the siege that made him undergo Olivier de Clisson in 1394. It was then necessary to restore it again and even to rebuild it in a large part. It is from the beginning of the 15th century, in fact, that date among others the north wing of the transept, the gable of the south wing, the chapel fonts, the tower and the upper parts of the western gable and the north tower. Later, between 1460 and 1472, the bishop Jean Prigent undertook the construction of the chapel of the Annunciation.

At the beginning of the 18th century, the building was very unfortunately disfigured by the total reconstruction of the nave; finally, in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, there was important restoration work including the renovation of the vaults of the transept, the choir and its carol, as well as the replacement of most fenestrages.

Plan. - Nave with low sides of seven bays, with, at the right of the fourth, the chapel of the fonts, and of the last three the chapel of the Annunciation; transept comprising the square and two wings; choir of two straight spans and a polygonal, surrounded by a carole on which open seven chapels of which one today destroyed.

Outside. - Western facade. Framed by two massive towers, devoid of ornaments, pierced with loopholes and one of which is even surmounted by an hourd, the western facade is more like the entrance to a fortress than that of a building. religious. In the course of the city's history, the cathedral has indeed played the role of citadel many times, and no doubt the unknown master of the fifteenth century had in mind the seats that she had just suffered.

The north tower, called Brieuc tower, is equipped with loopholes and archers. The lower part, old porch restored and transformed in the 15th century by the care of Jacques Tournegoet in a chapel dedicated to Saint Jacques, dates partly from the XIIIth century; the top was rebuilt in the 15th century and houses the drone.

The tower, known as the Marie Tower, was built in the 15th century. It was once surmounted by a 26 meter arrow destroyed by lightning in 1852, when the current cover was redone, on the plans of the architect Ruprich Robert.

Between the two towers, the main porch, largely rebuilt in 1889, still retains elements of the thirteenth century. The gable recessed above it is pierced with a rose of the fifteenth century.

North facade. - The north facade of the nave, overlooking the Martray and dating from the eighteenth century, offers nothing remarkable. In 1856, we redid the porch, which was a veneer of non-resistant materials. Attached to the north wing of the transept, there is then the sacristy. It is a building of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, partly hidden by a shop, but with some interesting details, including a turret staircase and a small edicule surmounted by a grotesque.

The north gable of the transept, which follows it, rebuilt under the episcopate of Jean de Malestroit (1404-1419), had its fenestration completely redone in 1852. It is surmounted by a clock mentioned in the eighteenth century as being then the alone of the city.

Bedside. - The chevet, flanked by 14th and early 16th century chapels, dates from the 14th century, as shown by the arms of Bishop Guy de Monfort (1335-1357), so oddly inscribed on the foothills. Going around the chevet, you arrive at the door of the Virgin, pierced only in 1852.

South facade. - We then reach the southern wing of the transept whose wall is still decorated with a modillion cornice and whose gable is adorned with a beautiful fenestration of the fifteenth century restored in 1862-1864. To this wing is adjoined the chapel of the Annunciation. This charming chapel, begun by the bishop Jean Prigent (1462-1472) and finished by Olivier du Chastel (1505-1523), replaced the chapel Saint-Mathurin built, according to the tradition, by the care of Saint Guillaume. An elegant turret leads to the room above it, called the bookshop. Touching this chapel and also on the south face of the nave which is without interest, one finds the chapel of the fonts built in the XVth century (R. Couffon).

Its dimensions: length 74 meters; Width to transepts: 40 meters; vault height: 10 meters; height of the Brieuc Tower (North): 28 meters; height of the Marie Tower (South): 33 meters.



selon le site info Bretagne :
Historique. — Commencée dans le dernier quart du XIIème siècle et terminée sous l'épiscopat de l'évêque Philippe (1235-1248), la cathédrale ne conserve plus de cette époque que quelques éléments réemployés ainsi que les parties basses de la tour nord et du pignon occidental adjacent. Après l'incendie qui la détruisit en 1353, elle fut en effet, presqu'entièrement reconstruite en réutilisant beaucoup de matériaux anciens ; mais, à peine achevée, elle fut profondément, endommagée par le siège que lui fit subir Olivier de Clisson en 1394. Il fallut alors la restaurer à nouveau et même la reconstruire en grande partie. C'est du début du XVème siècle, en effet, que datent entre autres l'aile nord du transept, le pignon de l'aile sud, la chapelle des fonts, la tour midi ainsi que les parties hautes du pignon occidental et de la tour nord. Postérieurement, entre 1460 et 1472, l'évêque Jean Prigent entreprit la construction de la chapelle de l'Annonciation.

Au début du XVIIIème siècle, l'édifice fut très malheureusement défiguré par la reconstruction totale de la nef ; enfin, aux XIXème et XXème siècles, l'on fit d'importants travaux de restauration parmi lesquels la réfection des voûtes du transept, du choeur et de sa carole, ainsi que le remplacement de la plupart des fenestrages.

Plan. — Nef avec bas côtés de sept travées, avec, au droit de la quatrième, la chapelle des fonts, et des trois dernières la chapelle de l'Annonciation ; transept comprenant le carré et deux ailes ; choeur de deux travées droites et d'une polygonale, entouré d’une carole sur laquelle s'ouvrent sept chapelles dont une aujourd'hui détruite.

Extérieur. — Façade occidentale. Encadrée de deux tours massives, dépourvues d'ornements, percées de meurtrières et dont l'une d'elles est même surmontée d'un hourd, la façade occidentale se présente plutôt comme l'entrée d'une forteresse que celle d'un édifice religieux. C'est qu'au cours de l'histoire de la ville, la cathédrale a en effet maintes fois joué le rôle de citadelle, et nul doute que le maître inconnu du XVème siècle n'ait eu présent à l'esprit les sièges qu'elle venait de subir.

La tour nord, dite tour Brieuc, est munie de meurtrières et d'archères. La partie basse, porche ancien restauré et transformé au XVème siècle par les soins de Jacques Tournegoet en une chapelle dédiée à saint Jacques, date en partie du XIIIème siècle ; le haut a été reconstruit au XVème siècle et abrite le bourdon.

La tour midi, dite tour Marie, fut construite au XVème siècle. Elle était jadis surmontée d'une flèche de 26 mètres détruite par la foudre en 1852, époque où fut refaite la couverture actuelle, sur les plans de l'architecte Ruprich Robert.

Entre les deux tours, le porche principal, refait en grande partie en 1889, conserve cependant des éléments du XIIIème siècle. Le pignon en retrait qui le surmonte est percé d'une rose du XVème siècle.

Façade nord. — La Façade nord de la nef, donnant sur le Martray et datant du XVIIIème siècle, n'offre rien de remarquable. En 1856, l'on a refait le petit porche qui n'était d'ailleurs qu'un placage en matériaux non résistants. Accolée à l'aile nord du transept, l'on trouve ensuite la sacristie. C'est un édifice des XIVème et XVème siècles, en partie caché par une boutique, mais présentant quelques détails intéressants, entre autres une tourelle d'escalier et un petit édicule surmonté d'un grotesque.

Le pignon nord du transept, qui lui fait suite, réédifié sous l'épiscopat de Jean de Malestroit (1404-1419), a eu son fenestrage entièrement refait en 1852. Il est surmonté d'une horloge mentionnée au XVIIIème siècle comme étant alors la seule de la ville.

Chevet. — Le chevet, flanqué de chapelles des XIVème et du début du XVIème siècle, date du XIVème siècle ainsi que le montrent les armes de l'évêque Guy de Monfort (1335-1357) si curieusement fichées sur les contreforts. Contournant le chevet, l'on arrive à la porte de la Vierge, percée seulement en 1852.

Façade sud. — L'on atteint ensuite l'aile méridionale du transept dont le mur est encore décoré d’une corniche à modillons et dont le pignon est orné d’un très beau fenestrage du XVème siècle restauré en 1862-1864. A cette aile est accolée la chapelle de l'Annonciation. Cette charmante chapelle, commencée par l'évêque Jean Prigent (1462-1472) et terminée par Olivier du Chastel (1505-1523), a remplacé la chapelle Saint-Mathurin construite, suivant la tradition, par les soins de saint Guillaume. Une élégante tourelle conduit à la salle qui la surmonte, dite la librairie. Touchant cette chapelle et également sur la face sud de la nef qui est sans intérêt, l'on trouve la chapelle des fonts construite au XVème siècle (R. Couffon).

Ses dimensions : longueur 74 mètres ; Largeur aux transepts : 40 mètres ; hauteur des voûtes : 10 mètres ; hauteur de la Tour Brieuc (Nord) : 28 mètres ; hauteur de la Tour Marie (Sud) : 33 mètres.


info Bretagne : (visit link)
Web site proof of Romanesque features: [Web Link]

Date of origin: 1/1/1200

Type of building (structure): Church

Address:
place du Martray 22000 Saint Brieuc


Architect(s) if known: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the building. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Romanesque Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
sara et gege visited Cathédrale Saint Etienne - Saint Brieuc, Bretagne, France 5/17/2019 sara et gege visited it