Show/HideSearch Criteria: All Waymarks [show search options]
Additional Settings: all dates
Show/HideCategories [hide category]
Signs of History
Managed By: Icon Here Sign Historians
Description:
You see them everywhere - on the sides of buildings, at waysides, bolted to rocks - signs that commemorate the history of an area. WARNING: There are already many historic marker categories restricted to geographic areas, particular subjects, or official lists. If the marker you are trying to waymark fits in one of the existing categories, it is NOT allowed here. This category was conceived to fill the gaps these other categories miss. Click on "show additional information" before posting.
Show/HideWaymarks [hide waymarks]
Currently displaying Signs of History

sorted by:

 
Total Records: 8283 Page: 11 of 332 prev<<<[11121314151617181920]>>>next
Image for A Large Brick Kitchen - Newport News VAview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryA Large Brick Kitchen - Newport News VA

in Signs of History

Lee Hall Mansion-In the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, Chesapeake planters moved the preparation and cooking of food from their homes to a separate structure.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Virginia

date approved: 10/6/2020

last visited: never

Image for Trinity River Bluffs - Fort Worth, TXview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryTrinity River Bluffs - Fort Worth, TX

in Signs of History

An interpretive sign in front of the historic Garvey-Veihl House at 769 Samuels Ave, Fort Worth, TX provides some history of the bluff on the Trinity River that is hidden behind this and other local private properties.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil

location: Texas

date approved: 10/6/2020

last visited: never

Image for Homestead by the Main Road - Newport News VAview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryHomestead by the Main Road - Newport News VA

in Signs of History

In 1850 Lee purchased a 452-acre tract of land, which was listed as “the homestead by the main road.” He began construction of this house in the mid-1850s.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Virginia

date approved: 10/6/2020

last visited: never

Image for Three Courthouse Essentials - Charles City VAview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryThree Courthouse Essentials - Charles City VA

in Signs of History

A clerk’s office, jail and tavern were located at every courthouse. The purpose of the clerk’s office and the jail are obvious, but can you guess why the tavern was just as essential?

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Virginia

date approved: 10/5/2020

last visited: never

Image for "Rockledge"- Occoquan VAview gallery
Log it!

Signs of History"Rockledge"- Occoquan VA

in Signs of History

John Ballendine built this finely proportioned Georgian House, “Rockledge,” in c. 1760. William Buckland, a premier colonial Chesapeake architect, reportedly designed it.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Virginia

date approved: 10/4/2020

last visited: never

Image for Carl and Della Irene Simmons House - Grapevine, TXview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryCarl and Della Irene Simmons House - Grapevine, TX

in Signs of History

The Carl and Della Irene Simmons House is a Grapevine Historic Landmark, and the city has posted a sign above the certification emblem to provide some history. It is now used as an office at 702 E Northwest Hwy, Grapevine, TX.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil

location: Texas

date approved: 10/4/2020

last visited: never

Image for Kingston Market Battery - Kingston, ONTview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryKingston Market Battery - Kingston, ONT

in Signs of History

This sign describes the Kingston Market Battery and is located in Confederation Park.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Lightnin Bug

location: Ontario, Canada

date approved: 10/4/2020

last visited: 10/7/2020

Image for Grand 1894 Opera House - Galveston, TXview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryGrand 1894 Opera House - Galveston, TX

in Signs of History

A sign about the history of the 1894 Grand Opera House in Galveston, TX.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member ggmorton

location: Texas

date approved: 10/1/2020

last visited: 5/28/2007

Image for Samuels Avenue Architectural Fabric - Fort Worth, TXview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistorySamuels Avenue Architectural Fabric - Fort Worth, TX

in Signs of History

An interpretive sign in front of the historic Garvey-Veihl House at 769 Samuels Ave, Fort Worth, TX provides some history of the Samuels Avenue neighborhood, a proverbial silk stocking row that is returning to life today.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil

location: Texas

date approved: 10/1/2020

last visited: never

Image for 1882 - Greenleve, Block, & Co. Building - Galveston, TXview gallery
Log it!

Signs of History1882 - Greenleve, Block, & Co. Building - Galveston, TX

in Signs of History

An old drygoods and office building built with Victorian architecture in Galveston, TX.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member ggmorton

location: Texas

date approved: 10/1/2020

last visited: 5/26/2007

Image for Union Arch Bridge - Cabin John, Marylandview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryUnion Arch Bridge - Cabin John, Maryland

in Signs of History

Located on the west side of the bridge is a set of signs about the bridge and surrounding area.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member flyingmoose

location: Maryland

date approved: 9/30/2020

last visited: never

Image for Burkittsville: Henry Burkitt’s Town -  Burkittsville MDview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryBurkittsville: Henry Burkitt’s Town - Burkittsville MD

in Signs of History

Henry Burkitt moved here from Pennsylvania about 1825 and laid out a town along the east-west trail, subdividing larger tracts bought from his neighbors.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Maryland

date approved: 9/28/2020

last visited: never

Image for L’Ancien Couvent des Jésuites - Mons, Belgiumview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryL’Ancien Couvent des Jésuites - Mons, Belgium

in Signs of History

[EN] This Gothic building, erected in 1623, currently houses the central library of the University of Mons. [FR] Ce bâtiment de tradition gothique, érigé en 1623, abrite actuellement la bibliothèque centrale de l’Université de Mons.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin

location: Hainaut, Belgium

date approved: 9/28/2020

last visited: 8/27/2020

Image for Théatre Royal de Mons - Mons, Belgiumview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryThéatre Royal de Mons - Mons, Belgium

in Signs of History

[EN] The royal theater of Mons was inaugurated on October 18, 1843, in a neoclassical style, it was built according to the plans of the city architect, Charles Sury. [FR] Le théâtre royal de Mons fut inauguré le 18 octobre 1843, d'un style néo-classique, il fut construit selon les plans d’un architecte de la ville, Charles Sury.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin

location: Hainaut, Belgium

date approved: 9/28/2020

last visited: 8/27/2020

Image for Église Saint-Donat - Arlon, Belgiumview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryÉglise Saint-Donat - Arlon, Belgium

in Signs of History

[EN] The Saint-Donat church in Arlon (Belgium) is located on the Knippchen, the city’s central hill. [FR] L’église Saint-Donat à Arlon (Belgique) est située sur la Knippchen, colline centrale de la cité.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin

location: Luxembourg, Belgium

date approved: 9/25/2020

last visited: 8/27/2020

Image for Église Saint-Martin - Arlon, Belgiumview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryÉglise Saint-Martin - Arlon, Belgium

in Signs of History

[EN] This church, classified as an exceptional heritage of Wallonia, impresses with its size and dimensions, it dominates the landscape of Arlon, in particular thanks to its high tower of 97 m. [FR] Cette église, classée patrimoine exceptionnel de Wallonie, impressionne par sa taille et ses dimensions, elle domine le paysage d’Arlon, notamment grâce à sa haute tour de 97 m.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin

location: Luxembourg, Belgium

date approved: 9/25/2020

last visited: 8/19/2015

Image for D.R. Jones' Division, Longstreet's Command No 369 - Sharpsburg MDview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryD.R. Jones' Division, Longstreet's Command No 369 - Sharpsburg MD

in Signs of History

About 7.30 a.m., Col. Geo. T. Anderson's Brigade moved from Cemetery Hill to the left near the Dunker Church. The Federal Batteries beyond the Antietam continued their heavy fire, which was answered by the Confederate guns.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Maryland

date approved: 9/25/2020

last visited: never

Image for Battery E, 4th U.S. Artillery No 107 - Sharpsburg MDview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryBattery E, 4th U.S. Artillery No 107 - Sharpsburg MD

in Signs of History

At daybreak Battery E, 4th U.S. Artillery, was in bivouac in rear of the high ground east of the Burnside Bridge. Soon after daybreak it took position on the ridge overlooking the Antietam

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Maryland

date approved: 9/25/2020

last visited: never

Image for D.R. Jones' Division, Longstreet's Command  No 368 - Sharpsburg MDview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryD.R. Jones' Division, Longstreet's Command No 368 - Sharpsburg MD

in Signs of History

Jones' Division reached Sharpsburg on the morning of the 15th and took position on Cemetery Hill and the high ground about 350 yards to the west and northwest of this point.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Maryland

date approved: 9/25/2020

last visited: never

Image for Ninth Army Corps Crook's Brigade, Kanawha Division No 60 - Sharpsburg MDview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryNinth Army Corps Crook's Brigade, Kanawha Division No 60 - Sharpsburg MD

in Signs of History

On the evening of September 16th Crook's Brigade formed line on the ridge east of the Antietam, and north of the Burnside Bridge.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Maryland

date approved: 9/25/2020

last visited: never

Image for Ninth Army Corps Christ's Brigade, Willcox's Division No 63 - Sharpsburg MDview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryNinth Army Corps Christ's Brigade, Willcox's Division No 63 - Sharpsburg MD

in Signs of History

On the morning of the 17th Christ's Brigade was in reserve on the eastern slope of the ridge on the left flank of the Antietam, nearly opposite the Burnside Bridge.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Maryland

date approved: 9/25/2020

last visited: never

Image for Prairie Dog Town - K.N. Clapp - Lubbock, TXview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryPrairie Dog Town - K.N. Clapp - Lubbock, TX

in Signs of History

Black marker at Prairie Dog Town in MacKenzie Park.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member WalksfarTX

location: Texas

date approved: 9/25/2020

last visited: never

Image for Longstreet's Command Drayton's Brigade, Jones' Division No 347 - Sharpsburg MDview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryLongstreet's Command Drayton's Brigade, Jones' Division No 347 - Sharpsburg MD

in Signs of History

Drayton's Brigade reached Sharpsburg about 11 a.m., September 15th, and was posted on the southwest slope of Cemetery Hill.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Maryland

date approved: 9/25/2020

last visited: never

Image for Église Sainte-Élisabeth - Mons, Belgiumview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryÉglise Sainte-Élisabeth - Mons, Belgium

in Signs of History

[EN] A chapel built in the 14th century gives way to a Gothic building in the 16th century, then Baroque in the 18th century. [FR] Une chapelle construite au XIVe siècle fait place à un édifice gothique au XVIe, puis baroque au XVIIIe siècle.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin

location: Hainaut, Belgium

date approved: 9/25/2020

last visited: 8/27/2020

Image for Le Musée Luxembourgeois - Arlon, Belgiumview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryLe Musée Luxembourgeois - Arlon, Belgium

in Signs of History

[EN] The Arlon Archaeological Museum is a museum that brings together an important collection of archaeological remains unearthed on the territory of the province of Luxembourg. [FR] Le Musée Archéologique d'Arlon est un musée qui réunit une importante collection de vestiges archéologiques mis au jour sur le territoire de la province de Luxembourg.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin

location: Luxembourg, Belgium

date approved: 9/24/2020

last visited: 8/27/2020

Total Records: 8283 Page: 11 of 332 prev<<<[11121314151617181920]>>>next
Premium Member Downloads: download.GPX Lite File       download.LOC File       download .KML File (Google Earth)