Show/HideSearch Criteria: All Waymarks Within 100 km of N 40° 54.970 W 074° 45.890 [show search options]
Additional Settings: all dates
Show/HideCategories [hide category]
Signs of History
Managed By: Icon Here Sign Historians
Description:
You see them everywhere-on the sides of buildings, at waysides, bolted to rocks-outdoor signs that commemorate the history of an area. WARNING: There are already many historic marker categories restricted to geographic areas, particular subjects, or official lists. If the marker you are trying to Waymark fits in one of the existing categories, it is NOT allowed here. This category was conceived to fill the gaps these other categories miss. Click on "show additional information" before posting.
Show/HideWaymarks [hide waymarks]

sorted by:

 
Total Records: 503 Page: 1 of 21 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Image for Budd Lake Community-Budd Lake, NJview gallery

SESE5.1 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryBudd Lake Community-Budd Lake, NJ

in Signs of History

This former industrial hamlet where mills and an iceworks operated in the mid-1800s became a thriving resort area by 1880.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 12/5/2019

last visited: 9/28/2021

Image for King House Museum - (Roxbury Township) Ledgewood NJview gallery

SESE10.5 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryKing House Museum - (Roxbury Township) Ledgewood NJ

in Signs of History

Built by Theodore F. King C.1878, photo below late 1890’s. Miss Louise King was born in this house in 1881 and lived here until her death in 1975.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 5/16/2020

last visited: 9/26/2021

Image for The Bridget Smith House - Mine Hill NJview gallery

EE15 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryThe Bridget Smith House - Mine Hill NJ

in Signs of History

1855 Built by Dover Iron Company builders of duplex patch houses on property owned by James and Thomas Maloney. 1879 Sold to mining widow Bridget Smith as a two-family residence

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 5/24/2020

last visited: 9/26/2021

Image for Acorn Hall - Women's Heritage Trailview gallery

SESE28.8 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryAcorn Hall - Women's Heritage Trail

in Signs of History

This sign signifies a significant contribution by Mary Crane Hone for historical preservation of the Morristown area.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member 79scouts

location: New Jersey

date approved: 7/4/2012

last visited: never

Image for General Count Rochambeau Encampment - Whippany (Hanover Township) NJview gallery

EE30.7 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryGeneral Count Rochambeau Encampment - Whippany (Hanover Township) NJ

in Signs of History

“ . . . Whippany will be a good place for a halt . . . ” Washington to Rochambeau. On August 27 and 28, 1781, a 5,000-man French Army under General Count Rochambeau encamped on grounds extending northeast from here toward the Whippany River.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 7/3/2020

last visited: 9/26/2021

Image for Pennsylvania Railroad “Watch Box” Circa 1911 - Whippany NJview gallery

EE31.4 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryPennsylvania Railroad “Watch Box” Circa 1911 - Whippany NJ

in Signs of History

On the Pennsylvania Railroad, what we commonly called a “Crossing Shanty” was known as a “Watch Box”. Watch Boxes were placed at grade crossings until automatic crossing gates became common toward the middle of the 20th Century.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 7/2/2020

last visited: 9/26/2021

Image for I Am Steam Locomotive No. 385 -  Whippany NJview gallery

EE31.4 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryI Am Steam Locomotive No. 385 - Whippany NJ

in Signs of History

I was built in Philadelphia, PA in November 1907. I have seen many things. When I was new, some of the older men who worked with me were young soldiers during the American Civil War.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 7/2/2020

last visited: 9/26/2021

Image for Pennsylvania Railroad Standard Telephone Booth - Whippany NJview gallery

EE31.4 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryPennsylvania Railroad Standard Telephone Booth - Whippany NJ

in Signs of History

Telephones, either in “Telephone Booth” structures or in simpler Telephone Boxes, were placed wherever there was a need for a locomotive engineer or conductor to talk to the dispatcher or block controller.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 7/2/2020

last visited: 9/26/2021

Image for Washington Headquarters "Preakness"view gallery

EE44.7 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryWashington Headquarters "Preakness"

in Signs of History

Washington Headquarters sign for the Dey Mansion in Wayne, NJ.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member 79scouts

location: New Jersey

date approved: 7/9/2010

last visited: never

Image for The First Reformed Church - Easton, Pennsylvaniaview gallery

SWSW44.9 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryThe First Reformed Church - Easton, Pennsylvania

in Signs of History

Steeped deep with German roots, this church has churned on through the years, witness & influential to important American history. Once it served Lutheran interests but now it serves the First United Church of Christ. This SOH tells all about it.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher

location: Pennsylvania

date approved: 4/10/2013

last visited: 10/25/2013

Image for The Great Square - Easton PAview gallery

SWSW45.1 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryThe Great Square - Easton PA

in Signs of History

Surveyor William Parsons designated the City of Easton in a grid pattern radiating from this “Great Square” and the original Northampton County courthouse was erected in the square in 1765.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Pennsylvania

date approved: 4/17/2020

last visited: 9/27/2021

Image for Northampton County's First Court House - Easton, PAview gallery

SWSW45.1 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryNorthampton County's First Court House - Easton, PA

in Signs of History

A large rock with a bronze tablet was placed in 1939 to commemorate the first courthouse which once stood on this site. The tablet's placement back then was of some notoriety as it was mentioned in the American Guide Series.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher

location: Pennsylvania

date approved: 4/22/2013

last visited: 10/25/2013

Image for Centre Square Drinking Fountain - Milford PAview gallery

NN45.5 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryCentre Square Drinking Fountain - Milford PA

in Signs of History

Sculpted from blocks of bluestone in 1911 for the Village Improvement Association.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Pennsylvania

date approved: 4/25/2020

last visited: 6/15/2022

Image for Ultimate Frisbee Birthplace - Maplewood, NJview gallery

SESE46.3 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryUltimate Frisbee Birthplace - Maplewood, NJ

in Signs of History

The waymark is at a plaque for the birthplace of Ultimate Frisbee.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member gjal1978

location: New Jersey

date approved: 7/16/2013

last visited: 4/15/2015

Image for Mules and Men 1831-1932 - Easton PAview gallery

SWSW48.1 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryMules and Men 1831-1932 - Easton PA

in Signs of History

Delaware Canal-Mules provided the power to move boats along the Delaware Canal. The mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Pennsylvania

date approved: 4/17/2020

last visited: 9/27/2021

Image for Canal Boats - Durham PAview gallery

SWSW52.1 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryCanal Boats - Durham PA

in Signs of History

Canal Boats-Delaware Canal Lock 21--(Panel 1) American canal boats met standards as unique as their canals. Here, the preferred boat met Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company’s specifications of 87 ½ feet long, 10.5 feet wide and 7 ½ feet tall.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Pennsylvania

date approved: 4/20/2020

last visited: 9/27/2021

Image for Buccleuch Mansion – New Brunswick, Middlesex, NJ, USAview gallery

SESE52.5 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryBuccleuch Mansion – New Brunswick, Middlesex, NJ, USA

in Signs of History

Mansion built in 1739. Occupied by British during the American Revolution. Later visited often by George Washington.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member bpom

location: New Jersey

date approved: 3/19/2011

last visited: 8/13/2012

Image for Thomas Alva Edison's Menlo Park Laboratory - Edison, NJview gallery

SESE53.1 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryThomas Alva Edison's Menlo Park Laboratory - Edison, NJ

in Signs of History

Welcome to Menlo Park, former home of the "Wizard of Menlo Park". This sign of history tells the story of Edison and the importance of this site which is marked by this huge tower dedicated to Edison and his accomplishments.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher

location: New Jersey

date approved: 9/1/2010

last visited: 9/22/2018

Image for Newark & Washington Park in the 19th Century - Newark NJview gallery

EE53.4 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryNewark & Washington Park in the 19th Century - Newark NJ

in Signs of History

This land on which the Polhemus House was located (and where the Museum is now) is part of the James Street Commons Historic District, listed in the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places and geographically defined by Washington Park.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 5/24/2020

last visited: 9/26/2021

Image for The 19th Century Italianate Town House - Newark  NJview gallery

EE53.4 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryThe 19th Century Italianate Town House - Newark NJ

in Signs of History

The Polhemus House was a typical example of an Italianate town house, an urban residential building type popular between 1840 and 1870. The Italianate style is a characteristic by elaborate bold projecting exterior ornament with an emphasis on repetitive forms.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 5/24/2020

last visited: 9/26/2021

Image for Historic Site-Grace Church - Newark NJview gallery

EE53.8 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryHistoric Site-Grace Church - Newark NJ

in Signs of History

Newark’s second oldest Episcopal parish was founded in 1837. The architect of the present brown freestone building, completed in 1848, was the famed Richard Upjohn, a master of English Gothic style.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 5/24/2020

last visited: 9/26/2021

Image for Light Dispelling Darkness - Edison, NJview gallery

SESE54.9 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryLight Dispelling Darkness - Edison, NJ

in Signs of History

"Light Dispelling Darkness" is a 1937 WPA era scupture in Roosevelt Park in Edison, NJ. There are 6 abstract sculptures which represent War, Famine, Pestilence, Death, Greed and Materialism.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher

location: New Jersey

date approved: 9/2/2010

last visited: 8/19/2011

Image for Sayre and Fisher Brick Water Tower Borough of Sayreville -  Sayreville NJview gallery

SESE60.2 km

Log it!

Signs of HistorySayre and Fisher Brick Water Tower Borough of Sayreville - Sayreville NJ

in Signs of History

The Coastal Group, developers of the adjoining property have restored this brick water tower circa 1875 and have dedicated same to the borough in honor of those immigrants that were employed by the Brick Works

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: New Jersey

date approved: 6/8/2020

last visited: 9/26/2021

Image for Colonial Industrial Quarter - Bethlehem, PAview gallery

SWSW61.6 km

Log it!

Signs of HistoryColonial Industrial Quarter - Bethlehem, PA

in Signs of History

The Colonial Industrial Quarter along Monacacy Creek, is a collection of industrial buildings built by the Moravians who settled here in the 1700s.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member NorStar

location: Pennsylvania

date approved: 10/2/2014

last visited: 2/11/2015

Image for Springhouse - Bethlehem, PAview gallery

SWSW61.6 km

Log it!

Signs of HistorySpringhouse - Bethlehem, PA

in Signs of History

The spring here was one reason why the Moravians settled here in 1741, and this building here is a reproduction of a springhouse that stood here in 1764.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member NorStar

location: Pennsylvania

date approved: 9/27/2014

last visited: 8/20/2017

Total Records: 503 Page: 1 of 21 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Premium Member Downloads: download.GPX Lite File       download.LOC File       download .KML File (Google Earth)