Show/HideSearch Criteria: All Waymarks [show search options]
Additional Settings: all dates
Show/HideCategories [hide category]
Tennessee Historical Markers
 allows ratings
Managed By: Icon Here TN Historical Markers
Description:
Seek out an official Tennessee Historical Marker - large rectangular aluminum sign on a post with black lettering – and so learn more about the interesting times past.
Show/HideWaymarks [hide waymarks]
Currently displaying Tennessee Historical Markers

sorted by:

 
Total Records: 1225 Page: 2 of 49 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Image for McMillan's Stand (3F 19) - Summertown TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersMcMillan's Stand (3F 19) - Summertown TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Later known as the Absalom Alexander Stand, it stood about 100 yards east, on the Military Road. A relay station and stage tavern, it was established about 1850.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/18/2020

last visited: never

Image for Early Gold Mining (1F 18) - Tellico Plains TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersEarly Gold Mining (1F 18) - Tellico Plains TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Placer gold was discovered along Coker Creek in 1831. For a time there was feverish digging; $80,000 of Coker Creek gold was mined between 1831 and 1854. Since then there has been sporadic mining here.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/18/2020

last visited: never

Image for Affair at Travisville (2C 17) - Travisville TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersAffair at Travisville (2C 17) - Travisville TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

In the first military action in Tennessee during the Civil War, Union troops of the 1st Kentucky Cavalry and the Home Guards of Houstonville Cavalry attacked a Confederate encampment at Travisville on September 29, 1861.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/18/2020

last visited: never

Image for Schofield's Withdrawal Nov. 24, 1864 (3F 10) - Waco TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersSchofield's Withdrawal Nov. 24, 1864 (3F 10) - Waco TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Moving from this area, Cox's Division led Stanley's XXIII Corps in a rapid retreat to Columbia. They arrived in time to prevent Forrest's Cavalry Corps, from seizing the bridge over Duck River.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/18/2020

last visited: never

Image for Fort Hill (3E 25) - Waverly TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersFort Hill (3E 25) - Waverly TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Five hundred yards north is a Federal Civil War earthen fort constructed by the 12th and 13th U.S. Colored Infantry to protect the Nashville and Northwestern Railroad.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/18/2020

last visited: never

Image for Springfield Historic District - Springfield TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersSpringfield Historic District - Springfield TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

This area is a city designated residential historic district. Although settled in 1796; the existing homes in this neighborhood date from 1833. They include a wide range of architectural styles.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/18/2020

last visited: 9/24/2021

Image for Hood and Schofield November 29, 1864 (3D 15) - Spring Hill TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersHood and Schofield November 29, 1864 (3D 15) - Spring Hill TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

About ½ mile east, Buford's Division of Forrest's Cavalry Corps drove in pickets from Opdyke's and Lane's Federal Brigades and contained their defenses, extending west to the railroad.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Rippavilla Plantation (3D 72) - Spring Hill TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersRippavilla Plantation (3D 72) - Spring Hill TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

In 1811, the Cheairs family settled at this site. Nathaniel and Susan McKissack Cheairs began construction of this home, Rippavilla, in 1851. Cheairs raised two companies for the Confederate Army in 1861.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Doe Creek School (4D 59) - Sardis TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersDoe Creek School (4D 59) - Sardis TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Doe Creek School is one of Tennessee's last remaining one-room log schoolhouses. Built c. 1870, it has been used as a school and a church.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Doe Creek Cemetery (4D 59) - Sardis TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersDoe Creek Cemetery (4D 59) - Sardis TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Ex-Confederate soldiers, James Kennedy and Bill Nails, brutally slain by local Unionists, were the first burials here in 1865 on land donated for the cemetery by Robert Kennedy.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Rose Mont (3B 75) - Gallatin TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersRose Mont (3B 75) - Gallatin TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Catherine Blackmore (1806-1888) and her husband Josephus Conn Guild (1802-1883) built Rose Mont circa 1842 here on their 500-acre plantation. Descendants occupied it until the City of Gallatin acquired the property in 1993.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Randolph - Randolph TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersRandolph - Randolph TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Randolph was Memphis' early rival for commercial supremacy and was the state's biggest western shipping point in 1830. Gen. Nathan B. Forrest trained here.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Bridgeforth High School (3F 41) - Pulaski TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersBridgeforth High School (3F 41) - Pulaski TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Though black public education existed in Giles County by 1869, Bridgeforth was the first black high school. Designed by America's first black architectural firm, McKissack and McKissack.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Gabriel McKissack (3F 40) - Pulaski TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersGabriel McKissack (3F 40) - Pulaski TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

During the years following the Civil War, Gabriel Moses McKissack (1840-1923) laid the foundation in Giles County for a family building tradition that included the first black architectural firm in the United States.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Fort Smith (3B 74) - Portland TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersFort Smith (3B 74) - Portland TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

One and one-quarter miles northeast at Mitchellville Station on the L&N Railroad stood Fort Smith. There a railhead began as a Union supply depot for General Rosecran’s army at Nashville.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Cold Spring School (3B 49) - Portland TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersCold Spring School (3B 49) - Portland TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

2.8 miles northeast is the site of Cold Spring School. It was built on land donated in May 1857 by Thomas Baskerville for a school and meetinghouse. Early in the Civil War, it was used by Camp Trousdale as a military hospital.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Zollicoffer's Headquarters (3B 69) - Portland TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersZollicoffer's Headquarters (3B 69) - Portland TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

One-half mile southeast of here, stood the home of Thomas Buntin, founder of Richland Station and a Confederate sympathizer. In the spring of 1861, the Buntin residence was headquarters of Brigadier General Felix K. Zollicoffer.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Affair at Philadelphia (1F 28) - Philadelphia TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersAffair at Philadelphia (1F 28) - Philadelphia TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Here, in the cavalry action following the Battle of Chickamauga, the Confederate cavalry regiments of Dibrell and Morrison attacked Wolford's cavalry brigade, captured 700 prisoners.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for William Driver (3A 46) - Nashville TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersWilliam Driver (3A 46) - Nashville TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Born, 1803, in Salem Mass., and sea-captain at 21, he retired in 1837. Coming here for his wife's health, he brought with him the flag given him in 1832, which he had nicknamed "Old Glory".

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Percy Warner Park 2058.1 acres - Nashville TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersPercy Warner Park 2058.1 acres - Nashville TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Percy Warner (1861-1927) was a pioneer in electric utilities and hydroelectric development in the South. As chairman of the Park Board, he expanded Nashville’s park system.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Luke Lea Heights - Nashville TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersLuke Lea Heights - Nashville TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Luke Lea (1879-1945) envisioned this park, gave to the city in 1927 the original 868 acres, and asked that the land be named for his father-in-law, Percy Warner.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Old Johnsonville (3E 12) - New Johnsonville TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersOld Johnsonville (3E 12) - New Johnsonville TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

This town was named for Andrew Johnson, military governor of Tennessee (1862 - 65). Although the community had been a steamboat landing prior to the Civil War.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for Site of Original Gas Works - Nashville TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersSite of Original Gas Works - Nashville TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

The Nashville Gas Light Co., founded Mar. 1850, with General Washington Barrow, President, built first gas works in Tennessee for manufacturing gas from coal. First street lamp was lighted Feb. 13, 1851 at Second Ave.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/17/2020

last visited: never

Image for "Tennessee Lead" (2C 8) - Monroe TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical Markers"Tennessee Lead" (2C 8) - Monroe TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

Near here in November, 1852, a black and tan hound was stolen out of a deer chase by a horse trader, taken to Madison County, Kentucky, sold to George Washington Maupin.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/16/2020

last visited: never

Image for Heaton's Station - Nashville TNview gallery
Log it!

Tennessee Historical MarkersHeaton's Station - Nashville TN

in Tennessee Historical Markers

On his bluff in 1780, pioneers who came with James Robertson built Heaton's (also spelled Eaton's) station. It and two other forts (Nashborough and Freeland's) withstood all Indian attacks and saved the Cumberland settlements.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe

location: Tennessee

date approved: 10/16/2020

last visited: never

Total Records: 1225 Page: 2 of 49 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Premium Member Downloads: download.GPX Lite File       download.LOC File       download .KML File (Google Earth)