By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Charles L. Sullivan ANG Facility, Jackson, MS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member CoinsAndPins
N 32° 19.741 W 090° 04.962
15S E 774617 N 3580646
Quick Description: Jackson, Mississippi ANG base, located near the Jackson Airport.
Location: Mississippi, United States
Date Posted: 10/18/2006 3:13:47 PM
Waymark Code: WMVN5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member snaik
Views: 151

Long Description:
The 172d Airlift Wing is located at Allen C. Thompson Field (Jackson IAP) in Jackson, Mississippi. Thompson Field is in Rankin County, Mississippi. The Air National Guard facility is named after Charles L. Sullivan, the former Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi and long time member and pilot in the 172d.

The 172d Airlift Wing has a primary strategic airlift mission and secondary aerial evacuation mission with their two flying squadrons, the 183d Airlift Squadron and 183d Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron. The C-17 Globemaster3 is flown by each unit to accomplish these missions. The Wing is complemented by support units including maintenance, logistics, personnel, finance, medical, communications, security police, and civil engineering. The 172d is a component of the 21st Air Force and is ultimately under the Air Mobility Command. The unit has grown from 102 officers and airmen in 1953 to 1,140 today.

The 172d original designation was the 183d Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron in 1941. The unit was assigned eighteen B-26 aircraft as well as a few C-47s. In 1957, Six Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcars replaced the B-26.

In April of 1961, construction of the present ANG base began. In July 1962, the C-121 Lockheed Super Constellation arrived in Jackson.

In 1966, the C-124 Globemaster was assigned to Mississippi Air Guard. In 1967, the 172d flew the 1000th support mission into South Vietnam. In 1969, the ANG responded to the emergency created by Hurricane Camille. Also in 1969, the unit provided maximum force airlift in Southeast Asia.

In November of 1995, it was announced that six operational C-17 aircraft would be assigned to the 172d Airlift Wing. This new aircraft assignment required the Jackson ANG to acquire 39 more acres of leased land at the airport, as well as construct new facilities by 2004 to support the C-17 planes.
Era: Post WW II

General Comments: Not listed

Related web site: Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Military Installations
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
clayton454 visited Charles L. Sullivan ANG Facility, Jackson, MS 12/26/2011 clayton454 visited it
Wray visited Charles L. Sullivan ANG Facility, Jackson, MS 7/11/2009 Wray visited it
TumbleWeed visited Charles L. Sullivan ANG Facility, Jackson, MS 10/21/2006 TumbleWeed visited it
CoinsAndPins visited Charles L. Sullivan ANG Facility, Jackson, MS 10/19/2006 CoinsAndPins visited it

View all visits/logs