By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Festung Aarburg - Aarburg, AG, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 19.288 E 007° 54.106
32T E 417008 N 5241473
Quick Description: Aarburg Castle was founded around 1100 and rebuilt as a fort in the late 17th century. Today it is used as a youth prison.
Location: Aargau, Switzerland
Date Posted: 1/30/2019 8:30:10 AM
Waymark Code: WMZZX3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
EN: The fortress Aarburg is located on a narrow rock, which prodrudes from the east into the Aare valley and forces the river to the north, about three kilometers south of Olten.

Probably around the year 1100, a castle was built on the western part of the ridge. Exact data and examinations do not exist, the oldest surviving parts date from around 1200. The builders were probably the Lords of Froburg, according to a document from the year 1123. Around 1130, the castle was in the possession of the Lords of Büron, who called themselves "von Aarburg" from 1183. In the 13th Century, however, they retreated back to their home territory in central Switzerland and the castle came back into the possession of Froburg. The exact reasons and dates are not known. Due to economic difficulties, Froburg were forced to sell the castle in 1299 to Habsburg, which earned them 1550 marks in silver. Around 1330 the castle was mortgaged to Ritter Johann Kriech. At about the same time the town of Aarburg at the foot of the rock was built.

In 1415 the Confederates conquered large parts of the Habsburg ancestral homeland. Aarburg and its surroundings came into the possession of Bern, who instated a provincial governor at the castle. In the 15th and 16th centuries, the castle was rebuilt and expanded several times. These old parts of the castle are all located in the westernmost part of the current complex.

Aarburg was at the narrowest point of the only direct connection between the allied Reformed towns of Bern and Zürich. After the denominational Kappeler Wars in the 16th and the Peasant War and the first Vilmerger War in the early 17th century, Bern wanted to ban the danger, that the Catholic places Solothurn in the north and Lucerne in the south broke this connection, by building a modern artillery fort. The expansion, which also included the entire eastern part of the ridge, which had not been overbuilt so far, was carried out from 1663 to 1673. From 1666, it was constantly occupied by a garrison. The conversion cost over 100,000 crowns. The maintenance costs had also been underestimated; although it was constantly repaired in the 18th century, the largest fortress of the Old Confederacy was in poor condition when the French invaded in 1798 and was handed over without a fight.

In 1803, the fortress came into the possession of the newly founded canton of Aargau. First it was used as an arsenal and from 1826 to 1872 as a prison. In 1840, the medieval castle chapel burned down on the western edge of the complex and was replaced by today's neo-Gothic town church. After the site was empty for two decades, it was reopened in 1893 as a reformatory for juvenile offenders.

The fortress still serves as a youth prison today and is therefore not publicly accessible for the most part. However, there are public tours inside, starting at 14:00 each Saturday from April to October.

DE: Die Festung Aarburg befindet sich auf einem engen Felsen, der sich rund drei Kilometer südlich von Olten von Osten ins Aaretal schiebt und den Flusslauf nach Norden zwingt.

Vermutlich um das Jahr 1100 wurde auf dem westlichen Teil des Felsgrats eine Burg erbaut. Genaue Daten und Untersuchungen gibt es nicht, die ältesten heute noch erhaltenen Teile stammen aus der Zeit um 1200. Die Erbauer waren vermutlich die Herren von Froburg, ein Dokument aus dem Jahr 1123 lässt darauf schliessen. Um 1130 war die Burg im Besitz der Herren von Büron, die sich ab 1183 "von Aarburg" nannten. Im 13. Jahrhundert zogen sie sich aber wieder in ihr Stammgebiet in der Zentralschweiz zurück und die Burg gelangte wieder in den Besitz der Froburger. Die genauen Gründe und der Zeitpunkt sind nicht bekannt. Durch wirtschaftliche Schwierigkeiten waren die Froburger gezwungen, die Burg 1299 an Habsburg zu verkaufen, was ihnen 1550 Mark Silber einbrachte. Um 1330 wurde die Burg an Ritter Johann Kriech verpfändet. Um die selbe Zeit entstand auch das Städtchen Aarburg am Fuss des Felsen.

1415 eroberten die Eidgenossen grosse Teile der Habsburger Stammgebiete. Aarburg und seine Umgebung kam in den Besitz von Bern, die auf der Burg einen Landvogt einsetzten. Im 15. und 16. Jahrhundert wurde die Burg mehrfach umgebaut und erweitert. Diese alten teile der Burg befinden sich ganz im westlichen Viertel der heutigen Anlage.

Aarburg befand sich an der engsten Stelle der einzigen direkten Verbindung zwischen den verbündeten reformierten Orten Bern und Zürich. Nach den konfessionell bedingten Kappelerkriegen im 16. und dem Bauernkrieg und dem ersten Vilmergerkrieg im frühen 17. Jahrhundert wollte Bern die Gefahr, dass die katholischen Orten Solothurn im Norden und Luzern im Süden diese Verbindung unterbrachen, durch den Bau einer modernen Artilleriefestung bannen. Der Ausbau, der auch den ganzen bisher nicht überbauten östlichen Teil des Grats umfasste, wurde von 1663 bis 1673 ausgeführt. Ab 1666 war sie ständig von einer Garnison besetzt. Der Umbau hatte über 100'000 Kronen gekostet. Auch der Unterhaltsaufwand war unterschätzt worden; obwohl sie im 18. Jahrhundert ständig ausgebessert worden war, war die grösste Festung der alten Eidgenossenschaft in einem schlechten Zustand als 1798 die Franzosen einmarschierten und wurde kampflos übergeben.

1803 kam die Festung in den Besitz des neugegründeten Kantons Aargau. Zuerst wurde sie als Zeughaus genutzt und von 1826 bis 1872 als Gefängnis. 1840 brannte die mittelalterliche Burgkapelle am westlichen Rand der Anlage nieder und wurde durch die heutige neugotische Stadtkirche ersetzt. Nachdem die Anlage zwei Jahrzehte lang leer stand, wurde sie 1893 als Erziehungsanstalt für jugendliche Straftäter wieder eröffnet.

Die Festung dient auch heute noch als Jugendgefängnis und ist deshalb zum grössten Teil nicht öffentlich zugänglich. Es gibt jedoch öffentliche Führungen im Innern, die jeweils von April bis Oktober am Samstag um 14:00 Uhr beginnen.
Accessibility: No access- Private

Condition: Intact

Admission Charge?: yes

Website: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.