By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

New Hampshire State Library - Concord, NH
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 43° 12.439 W 071° 32.311
19T E 293782 N 4786966
Quick Description: Site of the Presidential Primary every 4 years.
Location: New Hampshire, United States
Date Posted: 1/28/2019 4:46:08 AM
Waymark Code: WMZZF6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of district: Merrimack County
Location of district: 20 Park St., Concord
Date entered on NRHP: 1983

"3. NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE LIBRARY. 20 Park Street. (1891-1894, Amos Cutting, architect, Giles Wheeler, supervising architect). North of the State House at the northeast corner of Park and North State Streets is this building, constructed of rock faced red Conway granite from Red Stone, New Hampshire with smooth faced gray Concord granite trim. The library consists of two stories and a basement, with a frontage of 141 feet on Park Street and a depth of 104 feet. Characteristic of late 19th century eclecticism, the architect has freely combined Renaissance inspired detailing and Richardsonian derived stone treatment and fenestration. Irregular in plan and massing, the picturesque quality of this structure was originally heightened by a square tower with pyramidal roof at the southwest corner, which projected an additional story until its removal in 1966. Above the basement level is a three foot wide belt course from which spring giant pilasters with stylized capitals suggestive of the Corinthian order. Single pilasters frame bays of varying widths and fenestration while paired pilasters mark a segmental bay at the west, building angles and support the pediment of the entrance. The building's heavy denticulated cornice with egg and dart molding is topped by a battlement wall. Recessed spandrels separate the deepset rectangular, primarily transomed, windows of the first floor from the second story arched window openings. Windows vary in size, width and patterns. Many of the first floor windows are arranged in groups in a ribbon-like fashion, a detail borrowed from Richardson. At the entrance, located between the piers of the first floor and pilasters of the second, are polished green Conway granite columns. The carved tympanum of the pediment depicts the state seal. A one story semicircular bay projects to the right of the entrance. Built originally to house both the State Library (in the east part of the building) and the State Supreme Court (west half) , the Library has been the sole occupant since 1970. Alterations to the building exterior other than the removal of the tower are limited to the enclosure of the original open balcony above the entrance which was converted to office space in 1937. Renovations in 1937 and 1972 have also altered the interior which retains its Siena, Verona red and Italian veined marble floor mosaics and wainscoting. The bronze tablet above the mantel in the entrance hall is by Tiffany Glass and Decorating Co." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.