By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Ägidienkirche \ Erfurt, Thuringia, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 58.724 E 011° 01.900
32U E 642620 N 5649424
Quick Description: Ägidienkirche in Erfurt.
Location: Thüringen, Germany
Date Posted: 12/7/2018 2:43:06 AM
Waymark Code: WMZNBF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 0

Long Description:
[DE] "Die Ägidienkirche in Erfurt bildet am Wenigemarkt mit ihrem Torbogen den östlichen Zugang zur Krämerbrücke. Sie ist eine der ehemals zwei Brückenkopfkirchen. Am westlichen Ende stand seit dem 11. Jahrhundert die Benediktikirche, die 1890 abgerissen wurde und an die heute nur noch der Name des Benediktsplatzes erinnert.

Geschichte der Kirche

1110: erste Erwähnung
1293: durch Stadtbrand zerstört
1324: Wiederaufbau; Turm wird an das Kirchschiff angebaut
1382: Guss einer Glocke, zweitälteste Glocke der Stadt Erfurt
1472: erneute Zerstörung durch Brand
1582: Einsturz von Teilen der Kirche und Wiederaufbau
1615: Profanierung
1927: Privatbesitz
1960: Gemeindekirche der Evangelischen Gemeinschaft, seit 1968 mit der Bischöflichen Methodistenkirche zur Evangelisch-methodistischen Kirche vereinigt

Die Ägidienkirche wurde bereits 1110 als Kapelle erwähnt. Nach der Zerstörung der Brücke und der Kirche im Jahr 1293 wurde sie als steinerner Bau wiedererrichtet und im Jahre 1325 vollendet. Das Erdgeschoss war im Mittelalter offene Halle und diente als Verkaufsraum. Nach mehrfachen Patronatswechseln bis 1525 gehörte die Kirche den Mönchen des Schottenklosters und danach zur Kaufmannsgemeinde. Der Gottesdienst wurde 1615 eingestellt, die Kirche verkauft und zum Teil als Lagerhaus genutzt. Im Erdgeschoss befand sich ein Geschäft, dessen Türöffnungen bei Renovierungsarbeiten freigelegt wurden. Im Jahr 1927 wurde das Gebäude als Mietshaus zurückerworben und seit der Restaurierung von 1957 bis 1960 von der Evangelisch-methodistischen Kirche wieder als Gotteshaus genutzt. Sie ist die älteste von Methodisten benutzte Kirche der Welt und befindet sich seit 1957 im Eigentum der Evangelisch-methodistischen Kirche in Ostdeutschland, KdöR.
Der Kircheninnenraum liegt im ersten Geschoss, der Altarraum im spätgotischen Erker.
Der Torbogen bildet den östlichen Zugang zur Krämerbrücke. Vom Turm der Ägidienkirche bietet sich ein guter Blick über die Dachlandschaft der Krämerbrücke bis hin zu den Wahrzeichen Erfurts, dem Domplatz mit Mariendom und St. Severi sowie dem Panorama der Zitadelle Petersberg. Der 33 Meter hohe Turm wird auch als Roter Turm bezeichnet und ist täglich für Besucher geöffnet."

[EN] "The Ägidienkirche in Erfurt forms the eastern entrance to the Krämerbrücke at the Wenigemarkt with its archway. It is one of the two former bridgehead churches. The Benediktikirche stood at the western end since the 11th century. It was demolished in 1890 and today only the name of the Benediktsplatz reminds of it.

History of the church

1110: first mention
1293: destroyed by city fire
1324: Reconstruction; tower attached to the nave
1382: Casting of a bell, second oldest bell of the city Erfurt
1472: renewed destruction by fire
1582: Collapse of parts of the church and reconstruction
1615: Profanation
1927: Private property
1960: Parish Church of the Protestant Community, since 1968 united with the Methodist Episcopal Church to form the Evangelical Methodist Church.

The Ägidienkirche was already mentioned as a chapel in 1110. After the destruction of the bridge and the church in 1293, it was rebuilt as a stone building and completed in 1325. The ground floor was an open hall in the Middle Ages and served as a sales room. After several changes of patronage until 1525, the church belonged to the monks of the Scottish monastery and then to the merchant community. The church service was stopped in 1615, the church was sold and partly used as a warehouse. On the ground floor there was a shop, the door openings of which were uncovered during renovation work. In 1927 the building was bought back as an apartment building and since its restoration from 1957 to 1960 it has been used again by the Protestant Methodist Church as a place of worship. It is the oldest church in the world used by Methodists and has been owned by the Evangelical Methodist Church in East Germany, KdöR, since 1957.
The interior of the church is on the first floor, the sanctuary on the late Gothic bay.
The archway forms the eastern entrance to the Krämerbrücke. From the tower of the Ägidienkirche there is a good view over the roof landscape of the Krämerbrücke to the landmarks of Erfurt, the Domplatz with Mariendom and St. Severi as well as the panorama of the Zitadelle Petersberg. The 33 metre high tower is also known as the Red Tower and is open to the public every day."

(visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.