By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Allerheiligenkirche \ Erfurt, Thuringia, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 58.675 E 011° 01.598
32U E 642269 N 5649324
Quick Description: All Saints Church in Erfurt.
Location: Thüringen, Germany
Date Posted: 12/7/2018 2:24:41 AM
Waymark Code: WMZNBB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 0

Long Description:
[DE] "Die Allerheiligenkirche ist eine kleine römisch-katholische Kirche aus dem 12./14. Jahrhundert. Die gotische Hallenkirche steht an der Gabelung der Allerheiligen- und Marktstraße im Zentrum von Erfurt. Sie besitzt einen unregelmäßigen Grundriss und den mit 53 Metern höchsten Kirchenturm der Erfurter Altstadt. Seit 2007 besitzt sie als erste römisch-katholische Kirche in Mitteldeutschland ein Kolumbarium.
1117 wurde die Allerheiligenkirche von dem Presbyter Erkenbert und dem erzbischöflichen Vitztum Adalbert als Augustinerchorherrenstift mit Kloster und Hospital gegründet. 1125 bestätigte der Mainzer Erzbischof Adalbert I. von Saarbrücken erstmals schriftlich durch eine Urkunde die Stiftung. Im gleichen Jahr wurde vermutlich auch die Kirche eingeweiht. 1222 wütete ein Brand in der Altstadt, dem die Kirche und das Kloster größtenteils zum Opfer fielen. Das zugehörige Hospital wurde 1234 das letzte Mal erwähnt und wohl bald darauf an die Reglerkirche verlegt oder aufgehoben. An der Stelle des Hospitals stand später das Haus zur Engelsburg, das ab dem 15. Jahrhundert in den Besitz von Universitätsprofessoren gelangte. Der beim Stadtbrand zerstörte Kirchenbau besaß wahrscheinlich lediglich ein Kirchenschiff in rechteckiger Form sowie einen nach Süden herausgerückten Westturm.
Während des bis ins 14. Jahrhundert andauernden Wiederaufbaus der Allerheiligenkirche im gotischen Stil passte man den Grundriss der Straßenführung an. So verlaufen die Wände des Langhauses bis heute nicht parallel, sondern beginnen schmal am Westturm und verbreitern sich nach Osten. Außerdem wurde das Kirchenschiff in zwei Teile getrennt und erhielt ein Dachwerk mit zwei hölzernen Spitztonnen. Diese Konstruktion ist bis heute erhalten, wird aber von einer im 19. Jahrhundert eingezogenen Flachdecke verborgen. Der quadratische Westturm mit seinem spitzen Helm erlitt häufig Beschädigungen durch Blitzeinschläge. So musste der Turm mit seiner Spitze 1487, 1628 sowie 1870 erneuert werden. Während der Reformation stellte man den Gottesdienst 1525 ein, führte ihn aber schon wieder ein Jahr später 1526 fort. 1724 errichtete Johann Georg Schröter in der Kirche die erste Orgel, die später durch ein 1806 gefertigtes Modell ersetzt wurde.
Zwischen 1896 und 1898 führte man umfangreiche Umbauarbeiten an der Allerheiligenkirche durch und baute dabei im Osten des Nordschiffes einen polygonalen Chor mit einer Sakristei an und entfernte einen Sakristeieinbau im Südschiff. Des Weiteren wurde die Westempore mit der Orgel erneuert und der ehemalige dreiteilige Barockaltar an die Ostwand des Südschiffes versetzt. Zuletzt mauerte man das Nordportal zu und öffnete dafür das Südportal. 1915 und 1919 wurde das Kircheninnere unter Leitung von Prof. Hanftmann neu ausgemalt.
1936 ging die Gemeinde der Allerheiligenkirche in der Dompfarrerei auf und dient seither als Nebenkirche des Doms."

[EN] "The All Saints Church is a small Roman Catholic church from the 12th/14th century. The Gothic hall church is located at the fork of the Allerheiligenstrasse and Marktstrasse in the centre of Erfurt. It has an irregular ground plan and the highest church tower in Erfurt's old town, 53 metres high. Since 2007 it has been the first Roman Catholic church in Central Germany to have a columbarium.
In 1117 the All Saints' Church was founded by the presbyter Erkenbert and the archbishop Adalbert as an Augustinian choir with monastery and hospital. In 1125 the archbishop of Mainz, Adalbert I of Saarbrücken, for the first time confirmed the foundation in writing by a deed. The church was probably consecrated in the same year. In 1222 a fire raged in the old town, to which most of the church and the monastery fell victim. The associated hospital was mentioned for the last time in 1234 and was probably moved to the Reglerkirche or abolished soon afterwards. Later on, the building was replaced by the Haus zur Engelsburg, which became the property of university professors in the 15th century. The church destroyed by the fire in the town probably had only a rectangular nave and a south-facing west tower.
During the reconstruction of the All Saints Church in Gothic style, which lasted until the 14th century, the floor plan was adapted to the street layout. Thus, the walls of the nave do not run parallel until today, but begin narrowly at the west tower and widen to the east. In addition, the church nave was divided into two parts and received a roof structure with two wooden pointed barrels. This construction has survived to this day, but is hidden by a flat ceiling that was moved in in the 19th century. The square west tower with its pointed helmet was often damaged by lightning strikes. So the tower with its top had to be renewed in 1487, 1628 and 1870. During the Reformation the church service was stopped in 1525, but was continued one year later in 1526. In 1724 Johann Georg Schröter built the first organ in the church, which was later replaced by a model made in 1806.
Between 1896 and 1898, extensive reconstruction work was carried out on the Allerheiligenkirche and a polygonal choir with a sacristy was built in the east of the north nave and a sacristy in the south nave was removed. Furthermore, the west gallery with the organ was renewed and the former three-part baroque altar was moved to the east wall of the south nave. Finally, the north portal was bricked up and the south portal opened. In 1915 and 1919 the interior of the church was repainted under the direction of Prof. Hanftmann.
In 1936 the parish of the Allerheiligenkirche was merged into the cathedral parish and has since served as a side church of the cathedral."

(visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.