By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Kaufmannskirche \ Erfurt, Thüringen, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 58.690 E 011° 02.105
32U E 642861 N 5649368
Quick Description: The merchant church (Ecclesia Mercatorum) is located at the north end of Angers and has been evangelical since 1521.
Location: Thüringen, Germany
Date Posted: 12/5/2018 6:35:36 AM
Waymark Code: WMZN2M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 3

Long Description:
[DE] "Die Kaufmannskirche (Ecclesia Mercatorum) befindet sich am Nordende des Angers und ist seit 1521 evangelisch.

Die Frühgeschichte der Kaufmannskirche ist umstritten. Möglicherweise ist sie eine Gründung friesischer Händler aus dem 8. Jahrhundert, wobei die jüngere Forschung eher von einer hochmittelalterlichen Gründung ausgeht. Die Kaufmannskirche ist als Pfarrkirche der ersten Marktansiedelung der Stadt dem heiligen Gregor von Utrecht geweiht. Die Kaufmannskirche ist die einzige doppeltürmige Pfarrkirche der Stadt, während die anderen Pfarrkirchen auf Grund des geringeren Umfanges ihrer Gemeinden nur einen Turm besitzen. Der jetzige Bau ist nach einem Brand 1291 im Wesentlichen bis 1368 in gotischem Stil entstanden. Aus den Jahren 1598 bis 1625 stammt die Spätrenaissance-Ausstattung der Kirche.
Die Kirche diente als eine der beiden Hebestellen des an den Erzbischof von Mainz zu entrichtenden Freizinses (1108 erwähnt), was ebenfalls auf ihr hohes Alter schließen lässt. In den Jahren 1636 bis 1650 diente die Kaufmannskirche als schwedische Garnisonskirche. Im Jahr 1668 wurden die Eltern von Johann Sebastian Bach in der Kirche getraut. 1855 bis 1865 erfolgten umfangreiche Restaurierungsarbeiten an der Kaufmannskirche, dabei wurden auch seitliche Emporen eingebaut. 1944 wurde die Kirche durch eine Luftmine schwer beschädigt, bis 1952 wiederhergestellt. 1955 erfolgte die Restaurierung des Altars, 1987 bis 1992 der Kanzel, 1994 des Südturms und 2001 des Nordturms.
In die äußere Kirchenmauer, in Richtung Anger und Martin-Luther-Denkmal, wurde im Jahre 1917 in steinerner Kreuzform der Text „Am 22. Oktober 1522 predigte in der Kaufmannskirche Dr. Martin Luther vom Kreuz und Leiden eines rechten Christenmenschen -1917-“ eingefügt.
1965 wurde aus verkehrstechnischen Gründen das nördlich der Kirche gelegene Kaufmänner-Pfarrhaus abgebrochen. Es stammte aus dem Anfang des 18. Jahrhunderts und war in barocken Formen erbaut worden. Das Institut für Denkmalpflege hatte sich vergeblich um die Erhaltung des Pfarrhauses bemüht.
Am 28. Juni 2009 wurde mit einem Dank- und Taufgottesdienst der Abschluss der Restaurierung des über 400 Jahre alten Taufsteins der Kirche gefeiert.
Laut einem „Masterplan“ soll die Kaufmannskirche neben ihrer religiösen Funktion auch für kulturelle und soziale Aufgaben umgestaltet werden. Die Emporen und die Kirchenbänke sollen entfernt werden und an die Südseite Richtung Anger will man ein „modernes rechteckiges Gebäude aus durchscheinendem Glas“ anbauen."

[EN] "The Kaufmannskirche (Ecclesia Mercatorum) is located at the northern end of the Angers and has been Protestant since 1521.

The early history of the Kaufmannskirche is controversial. It may have been founded by Frisian merchants in the 8th century, although more recent research is based on a high medieval foundation. The Kaufmannskirche is a parish church dedicated to St Gregory of Utrecht, the first market settlement in the city. The Kaufmannskirche is the only double-towered parish church in the city, while the other parish churches have only one tower due to the smaller size of their parishes. After a fire in 1291, the current building was essentially built in Gothic style until 1368. From 1598 to 1625 the late Renaissance decoration of the church dates back.
The church served as one of the two lifting points of the free interest to be paid to the archbishop of Mainz (mentioned in 1108), which also indicates its old age. In the years 1636 to 1650 the Kaufmannskirche served as a Swedish garrison church. In 1668 Johann Sebastian Bach's parents were married in the church. From 1855 to 1865 extensive restoration work was carried out on the Kaufmannskirche, including the installation of lateral galleries. In 1944 the church was severely damaged by an air mine and restored by 1952. The altar was restored in 1955, the pulpit from 1987 to 1992, the south tower in 1994 and the north tower in 2001.
In 1917, the text "On 22 October 1522, Dr. Martin Luther preached in the Kaufmannskirche about the cross and suffering of a right-wing Christian -1917-" was inserted into the outer church wall in the direction of Anger and the Martin Luther monument in the form of a stone cross.
In 1965 the commercial parsonage north of the church was demolished for traffic reasons. It dates from the beginning of the 18th century and was built in baroque forms. The Institute for the Preservation of Monuments had tried in vain to preserve the vicarage.
On 28 June 2009, the completion of the restoration of the more than 400-year-old baptismal font of the church was celebrated with a thanksgiving and baptismal service.
According to a "master plan", the Kaufmannskirche is to be redesigned for cultural and social tasks in addition to its religious function. The galleries and pews are to be removed and a "modern rectangular building of translucent glass" is to be added to the south side towards Anger."

(visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
*Team Krombaer* visited Kaufmannskirche \ Erfurt, Thüringen, Germany 12/5/2018 *Team Krombaer* visited it