By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

L'Orgue de la Cathédrale Saint-Front - Périgueux, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 11.022 E 000° 43.362
31T E 321088 N 5005880
Quick Description: [EN] The instrumental part of Marin Carouge was redone in 1932 by the house Mutin-Cavaillé-Coll then by the house Puget in 1953. [FR] La partie instrumentale de Marin Carouge est refaite en 1932 par la maison Mutin-Cavaillé-Coll puis par la maison Puget en 1953.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 11/30/2018 2:28:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMZMA1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team GPSaxophone
Views: 0

Long Description:

"Work of organ builder Marin Carouge (1667-1735), the first Grand Orgue of Saint-Front was manufactured from 1731 to 1733. After considering selling it to the parish of Commentry, the bishopric stores it during several years in his attic, and moved him in 1902 to the church of Saint-Etienne-de-la-Cité57 where his buffet was classified as a historical monument in 1976.

A choir organ made in 1842-1843 by the organ factory Daublaine Callinet is delivered to Saint-Front in 1843. It is sold to the parish of Nontron in 1875 where it is installed in his church Notre-Dame-de-l Assumption, also called Notre-Dame-des-Ronces.

A second Grand Orgue is acquired by the bishopric after having been presented at the 1867 World Fair in Paris by its creator, the organ builder Joseph Merklin. It is placed on the western stand of the cathedral in 1871, once the choir completed, but without buffet, the interior of the instrument being concealed by a large painted canvas. The instrumental part was replaced in 1903 by another choir organ built two years earlier by the Mutin-Cavaillé-Coll house. In the 1960s, before the restoration of the choir stalls, the organ was moved to one of the cathedral chapels and the crypt.

Its instrumental part is classified as historical monuments on November 24, 1980 but for lack of maintenance, the instrument becomes silent at Christmas 1982. It is dismantled in 1985 and transported in the Quoirin workshops, near Carpentras, who restore it64. This renovation is accompanied by the creation of a neo-Gothic oak style buffet. Returning to Saint-Front in February 1998, the organ is assembled for three months and can re-sound on June 14, 1998. It now houses 2,000 pipes. "

Sources : The Organ

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"Œuvre du facteur d'orgues Marin Carouge (1667-1735), le premier Grand Orgue de Saint-Front a été fabriqué de 1731 à 1733. Après avoir envisagé de le vendre à la paroisse de Commentry, l'évêché l'entrepose pendant plusieurs années dans son grenier, et le fait déplacer en 1902 à l'église Saint-Étienne-de-la-Cité57 où son buffet est classé au titre des monuments historiques en 1976.

Un orgue de chœur fabriqué en 1842-1843 par la manufacture d'orgues Daublaine Callinet est livré à Saint-Front en 1843. Il est vendu à la paroisse de Nontron en 1875 où il est installé dans son église Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption, également appelée Notre-Dame-des-Ronces.

Un deuxième Grand Orgue est acquis par l'évêché après avoir été présenté à l'exposition universelle de 1867 à Paris par son créateur, le facteur d'orgues Joseph Merklin. Il est placé sur la tribune ouest de la cathédrale en 1871, une fois le chœur achevé, mais sans buffet, l'intérieur de l'instrument étant dissimulé par une grande toile peinte. La partie instrumentale est remplacée en 1903 par un autre orgue de chœur construit deux ans auparavant par la maison Mutin-Cavaillé-Coll. Dans les années 1960, avant la restauration des stalles du chœur, l'orgue est déplacé dans une des chapelles de la cathédrale et dans la crypte.

Sa partie instrumentale est classée au titre des monuments historiques le 24 novembre 1980 mais faute d'entretien, l'instrument devient muet à Noël 1982. Il est démonté en 1985 et transporté dans les ateliers Quoirin, près de Carpentras, qui le restaurent64. Cette rénovation s'accompagne de la création d'un buffet de style néo-gothique en chêne. Revenu à Saint-Front en février 1998, l'orgue est assemblé pendant trois mois et peut à nouveau faire retentir ses sonorités le 14 juin 1998. Il abrite désormais 2 000 tuyaux. "

Sources : L’Orgue

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Musical Instruments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited L'Orgue de la Cathédrale Saint-Front - Périgueux, France 11/25/2018 pmaupin visited it