By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Town Clock Pfarrkirche St. Martin Bickendorf, RP, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 02.054 E 006° 29.916
32U E 320869 N 5545434
Quick Description: At the St. Martin church in Bickendorf is a working clock mounted to the Tower.
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 11/21/2018 6:07:59 AM
Waymark Code: WMZJVQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 1

Long Description:
At the St. Martin church in Bickendorf is a working clock mounted to the Tower.

The watch has a white background, black hands and black roman numbers. The year of creation is unknown.

"It was not until 1330 that a parish church was preserved in the place first mentioned in 832. Today's neo-Gothic building replaces a predecessor of the 16th and 18th centuries. It was erected in 1896/97 by the Saarbrücken architect Wilhelm Hector from red sandstone and is based on the Gothic style of the later 13th century. Its clear structure is divided by buttresses and simple pointed arch windows and dominates the village with its four-storey chancel tower. Only the two upper floors of the tower and the asymmetrical entrance façade with vestibule, small stair tower and wide pointed arch window show richer architectural decoration.
The four-bay hall is structured by wall models, which accommodate the belt arches and the cross ribs of the vault. The choir, which has been retracted, still shows original neo-Gothic glazing and covers a ribbed vault on round models with leafwork capitals. A baroque stone altar wall dated 1738 with lateral portals from the predecessor building found its place here in 1930, the neo-Gothic high altar retable - a foundation of the Trier suffragan bishop Karl Ernst Schrod, who came from Bickendorf, from 1898, today stands under the gallery. The winged altar contains reliefs of the Last Supper and the Crucifixion from the Ateliers Port, Münstermaifeld/Augsburg. Its doors are painted with Old Testament patriarchs on the inside and saints on the outside. The pulpit, confessional, organ prospectus and chairs also date from the time the church was built. The tombstone of Alexander du Sartz and his wife Anna Maria Veyder, who died in 1758, serves as an antependium for the small altar in the vestibule."

(visit link)
Status: Working

Display: Mounted

Year built: Not listed

Web link to additional info: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Photo of clock.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Town Clocks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.