By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Mairie Coulonges sur l Autize,France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 28.923 W 000° 35.968
30T E 684255 N 5150408
Quick Description: the castle is located in the city center le chateau est situé dans le centre ville
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 11/2/2018 1:17:48 AM
Waymark Code: WMZF8T
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 2

Long Description:
common source:

Our story is a treasure!

The "Coulongeoises" and "Coulongeois" live daily in an environment strongly marked by history, a wealth they share willingly. At the tourist office, the curious who wish, can discover our fascinating local history, without which the great history would, perhaps, less charm.

But know that the name "Coulonges" is derived from a Latin word that means "settlers". Who were they? No doubt the populations implanted by Rome at the time of Caesar or shortly thereafter, nothing can be affirmed with certainty.

Located near the old Gallo-Roman road linking Saintes to Angers, the first known set of houses located in the town is the village of Tourteron, towards Saint-Pompain. He was known in the Merovingian period for his monetary workshop. The first evocation of Coulonges appears in a document in 978, for which there is a question of an agricultural domain inherited from antiquity.

The village is experiencing a first phase of expansion around the church which dates from the twelfth century. Through the ages, our commune knows different names: Coulonges-les-Royaux, Coulonges-les-Réaux ...

With the purchase of the Seigneurie by the Estissac family, the construction of the castle in the 16th century and the establishment of large markets, the urban center moves. This is how the castle and various places like the mining, became the heart of the current city.

The mystery persists as to the reasons that push the family of Estissac to settle in Poitou. Victim of political circumstances, the stronghold built by Amaury Estissac is razed at the behest of Louis XI who fears a plot hatched by his brother and which would have pact the d'Estissac. It was in 1473, on the death of Charles de France, this brother who worried him so much, that Louis XI authorized Jean d'Estissac to build a new castle, not defensive, in the heart of the city.

In 1525, Geoffroy d'Estissac took, as private secretary, a monk who had just fled the convent of Fontenay-le-Comte for having studied Greek, which at the time was considered heretical by the Sorbonne and the Holy Inquisition . This monk is none other than François Rabelais. During this period (1525-1526), ??bonds of friendship and esteem are woven between the two men despite the difference of condition. Rabelais can, thanks to the influence of his protector, give free rein to his imagination and his creative genius sheltered from the vengeance of his detractors and the Inquisition. This is how Rabelais became the initiator of French humanistic thought.

Subsequently, Geoffroy d'Estissac benefited in return from Rabelais's foresight which informed him of the novelties encountered during his travels: for example, while he was a doctor of Cardinal Jean du Bellay in Rome, he sent him lettuce seeds that would be the origin of the cultivation of this plant in Poitou.

Another great period of our past is the economic prosperity associated with the mining of the Saint-Laurs coalfield in the nineteenth century. Lime kilns, railways, halls and rich villas will then change the face of the town.


The Renaissance castle

The innovative audacity of its architect, whose identity is unknown, has made the castle of our town one of the finest examples of art reborn in the lower Poitou.

This pearl of our heritage is closely linked to the turbulent history of the Estissac family. From Périgord, she settled on the lordship of Coulonges-les-Royaux in 1448. The mystery continues as to the reasons that push this family to settle in Poitou. Victim of political circumstances, the stronghold built by Amaury Estissac is razed at the behest of Louis XI who fears a plot hatched by his brother and which would have pact the d'Estissac. It was in 1473, on the death of Charles de France, this brother who worried him so much, that Louis XI authorized Jean d'Estissac to build a new castle, not defensive, in the heart of the city.

At the beginning of the 16th century, Geoffroy d'Estissac decided to continue the effort undertaken by his father. The then Bishop of Maillezais and protector of Rabelais undertakes the construction of a massive pavilion. The building is nowadays the angle between the two wings of the current castle.

Between 1530 and 1560, it is the nephew of Geoffroy, Louis d'Estissac, who assumes the final building of the castle.

The reputation of this family, the beauty of its castle with finely chiseled exterior architecture and richly-worked interior decor, make many famous visitors stop there such as Charles VIII, Charles IX, Catherine of Medici, Henry III, Marguerite de Valois, Louis XIII and of course François Rabelais ...

From 1849, Octave de Rochebrune, aquafortist and collector, acquires some of the most beautiful x decorative elements.The restorations made from 1980, allow visitors to discover the magnificence of kitchens and their remarkable vaults of diamond edges. They are now available for rent, for private receptions, or business meetings.Classified as a historic monument since 1994, the castle is reviving thanks to a renovation work undertaken since the year 2008 and hosts, every summer, exhibitions of local and international artists.



source commune :

Notre histoire est un trésor !

Les « Coulongeoises » et les « Coulongeois » vivent au quotidien dans un environnement fortement marqué par l’histoire, une richesse qu’ils partagent volontiers. A l’office de tourisme, les curieux qui le souhaitent, pourront découvrir notre passionnante histoire locale, sans laquelle la grande Histoire aurait, peut-être, moins de charme.

Mais sachez que le nom de « Coulonges » est dérivé d’un mot latin qui signifie « colons ». Qui étaient-ils ? Sans doute des populations implantées par Rome à l’époque de César ou peu après, rien ne peut être affirmé avec certitude.

Situé près de l’ancienne voie gallo-romaine reliant Saintes à Angers, le premier ensemble connu d’habitations implantées sur la commune est celui du village de Tourteron, en direction de Saint-Pompain. Il est connu à l'époque mérovingienne pour son atelier monétaire. La première évocation de Coulonges apparaît dans un document en 978, pour laquelle il est question d’un domaine agricole hérité de l'Antiquité.

Le bourg connaît une première phase d’expansion autour de l’église qui date du XIIème siècle. A travers les âges, notre commune connaît différentes appellations : Coulonges-les-Royaux, Coulonges-les-Réaux…

Avec l’achat de la Seigneurie par la famille d’Estissac, la construction du château au XVIème siècle et l’instauration des grands marchés, le centre urbain se déplace. C’est ainsi que le château et les différentes places comme celle du minage, sont devenus le cœur de la cité actuelle.

Le mystère perdure quant aux raisons qui poussent la famille d'Estissac à se fixer en Poitou. Victime de circonstances politiques, la place forte construite par Amaury d’Estissac est rasée sur ordre de Louis XI qui craint un complot ourdi par son frère et auquel auraient pactisé les d’Estissac. C’est en 1473, à la mort de Charles de France, ce frère qui l’inquiétait tant, que Louis XI autorise Jean d’Estissac à construire un nouveau château, non défensif, au cœur de la cité.

En 1525, Geoffroy d’Estissac prend, comme secrétaire particulier, un moine qui vient de fuir le couvent de Fontenay-le-Comte pour avoir étudié le grec, ce qui à l'époque est considéré comme hérétique par la Sorbonne et la sainte Inquisition. Ce moine n’est autre que François Rabelais. Au cours de cette période (1525-1526), des liens d'amitié et d’estime se tissent entre les deux hommes malgré la différence de condition. Rabelais peut, grâce à l'influence de son protecteur, donner libre cours à sa fantaisie et à son génie créateur à l'abri de la vindicte de ses détracteurs et de l’Inquisition. C’est ainsi que Rabelais devint l’initiateur de la pensée humaniste française.

Par la suite, Geoffroy d'Estissac bénéficie en retour de la clairvoyance de Rabelais qui lui fait part des nouveautés rencontrées au cours de ses voyages : par exemple, alors qu'il est médecin du cardinal Jean du Bellay à Rome, il lui envoie des graines de laitues qui seraient à l'origine de la culture de cette plante en Poitou.

Une autre grande période de notre passé est celle de la prospérité économique liée à l’exploitation minière du bassin houiller de Saint-Laurs au XIXème siècle. Fours à chaux, voie ferrée, halles et riches villas vont alors changer le visage de la commune.


Le château Renaissance

L’audace novatrice de son architecte, dont l’identité est inconnue, a fait du château de notre commune l’un des plus beaux exemples de l’art renaissant dans le bas Poitou.

Cette perle de notre patrimoine est intimement liée à l’histoire mouvementée de la famille d’Estissac. Issue du Périgord, elle s’installe sur la seigneurie de Coulonges-les-Royaux en 1448. Le mystère perdure quant aux raisons qui poussent cette famille à se fixer en Poitou. Victime de circonstances politiques, la place forte construite par Amaury d’Estissac est rasée sur ordre de Louis XI qui craint un complot ourdi par son frère et auquel auraient pactisé les d’Estissac. C’est en 1473, à la mort de Charles de France, ce frère qui l’inquiétait tant, que Louis XI autorise Jean d’Estissac à construire un nouveau château, non défensif, au cœur de la cité.

Au début du XVIème siècle, Geoffroy d’Estissac décide de poursuivre l’effort entrepris par son père. Celui qui est alors l’évêque de Maillezais et le protecteur de Rabelais, entreprend la construction d’un pavillon massif. Le bâtiment constitue de nos jours l’angle entre les deux ailes du château actuel.

Entre 1530 et 1560, c’est le neveu de Geoffroy, Louis d’Estissac, qui assume l’édification finale du château.

La notoriété de cette famille, la beauté de son château à l’architecture extérieure finement ciselée et au décor intérieur richement travaillé, font que de nombreux visiteurs célèbres s’y arrêteront tels que Charles VIII, Charles IX, Catherine de Médicis, Henri III, Marguerite de Valois, Louis XIII et bien sûr François Rabelais…

A partir de 1849, Octave de Rochebrune, aquafortiste et collectionneur, acquiert certains des plus beaux éléments de décor.

Les restaurations faites à partir de 1980, permettent aux visiteurs de découvrir la magnificence des cuisines et leurs remarquables voûtes d'arêtes losangées. Elles sont aujourd’hui disponibles à la location, pour des réceptions privées, ou des réunions professionnelles.

Classé monument historique depuis 1994, le château revit grâce à un travail de rénovation entrepris depuis les années 2008 et accueille, tous les étés, des expositions d’artistes locaux et internationaux.


Monument historique Francais : (visit link)
Name: Coulonges sur l Autize

Address:
4 place du chateau
Coulonges sur l Autize, Nouvelle Aquitaine France
79160


Date of Construction: 1/1/1650

Web Site for City/Town/Municipality: [Web Link]

Architect: Not listed

Memorials/Commemorations/Dedications: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Post at least one original photo of the building that is a different view from the one on the page and describe your visit, including the date. Add any additional information that you may have about this building. A GPSr photo is NOT required
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest City and Town Halls
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Mairie Coulonges sur l Autize,France 2/4/2019 sara et gege visited it