By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Bernard de la Harpe 1719 - Bowers, OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member hamquilter
N 34° 53.776 W 095° 26.179
15S E 277378 N 3864248
Quick Description: This historical marker is located on Highway 270 west of Wilburton.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 10/22/2018 2:31:29 PM
Waymark Code: WMZD2Y
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 1

Long Description:
This is a red granite monument located on the south side of Highway 270, between in the towns of Wilburton and Hartshorne, in an area known as Bowers.

The marker tells the story of a French explorer who traveled this area 300 years ago.

Bernard de
la Harpe
1719
This French explorer, seeking
trade with the Wichita Indians,
came north from Louisiana, on
August 25, 1719. He camped three
miles east of Hartshorne and
the next day, following Gains
Creek, passed here on his way
to the Canadian River and the
Wichita villages to the north

Oklahoma Historical Society
189-1995

County: Latimer County

Record Address::
Highway 270B
West of Wilburton
Bowers, OK US


Web site if available: [Web Link]

Rate the Site:

Date Erected: 1995

Sponsor (Who put it there): Oklahoma Historical Society

Visit Instructions:
1 - Must visit the site in person.
2 - New Photo required.
3 - Give some new insight to the marker/site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Oklahoma Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.