Bell Tower - St Mary - Teynham, Kent
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 51° 20.274 E 000° 49.267
31U E 348229 N 5689655
Quick Description: Bell tower of St Mary's church, Teynham, with a ring of 6 bells.
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/12/2018 12:58:40 PM
Waymark Code: WMZ5DT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 0

Long Description:

Bell tower of St Mary's church, Teynham, with a ring of 6 bells.

Teynham, Kent
S Mary
Bells
Bell Weight Nominal Note Diameter Dated Founder Canons Turning
1 4-3-9 1360.0 F 27.75" 1743 Robert Catlin R  
2 5-0-1 1209.5 Eb 29.50" 1924 Mears & Stainbank F  
3 5-2-10 1083.5 Db 30.63" 1743 Robert Catlin R  
4 6-0-21 1021.5 C 31.94" 1743 Robert Catlin R  
5 6-3-13 911.0 Bb 35.00" 1899 Mears & Stainbank R  
6 10-3-7 810.0 Ab 39.13" 1743 Robert Catlin R  
Frames
Frame Bells Year Material Maker Truss Layout
1 1,2,3,4,5,6 c1899 Cast iron Mears & Stainbank    

SOURCE - (Visit Link)

  1743 Ring of 6 cast by Robert Catlin
  1843 5th recast by Mears & Co.
  1899 Bells rehung and 5th recast, by Mears & Stainbank.
  1924 2nd recast by Mears & Stainbank.
  1989 The cast-in crown staples were removed and the bells retuned by Whitechapel, and rehung in the existing frame with new fittings.

"The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is built of flint in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, in the form of a cross, having evolved from an earlier simpler construction which established it as a 12th Century Structure. It is known that in 1175, one Master Giraud was appointed Rector, the first priest to have permanent charge of the Parish.

The building consisted of a Nave and Chancel, the latter ending where the present Chancel begins : thus today on entering the Church, one is in the oldest part. Early in the 13th Century, the Nave walls were pierced to form three arches on each side and the North and South Aisles were formed. Later in the same Century further enlargement took place by the building of the North and South Transepts, and a new larger Chancel, the original one being incorporated into the Nave.

The Tower, which was built in three stages, with embattled parapet, was added in the 15th Century. It houses six bells, cast and hung by Robert Catlin in 1743. There were earlier bells, since it is recorded that one Robert Layward left 40 shillings in 1509 ‘for the making and hanging of bells’. The clock and chiming mechanism were a gift to the Church in 1923. On the North side of the tower is the Clergy Vestry, whilst on the South is the Choir Vestry, with stairs leading to the Belfry."

SOURCE - (Visit Link)

Address of Tower:
St Mary
Conyer Road
Teynham, Kent England
ME9 9ET


Still Operational: yes

Number of bells in tower?: 6

Relevant website?: [Web Link]

Rate tower: Not listed

Tours or visits allowed in tower?: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please post an original picture of the tower taken while you were there. Please also record how you came to be at this tower and any other interesting information you learned about it while there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bell Towers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.