Centennial Log Bench - Red Deer, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 52° 16.576 W 113° 49.046
12U E 307794 N 5795505
Appropriately located in Red Deer is a bench containing a mosaic bearing a railroad theme.
Waymark Code: WMZ3HK
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 09/05/2018
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member TeamBPL
Views: 0

Spanning the Red Deer River at 58th Street is the old C.P.R. Train Bridge, opened in 1909. Both a municipally and provincially designated heritage resource, the old bridge lives on today as a pedestrian bridge. Retired from railroad service in 1990, the bridge officially became a mixed use bridge and part of a walking trail on September 13, 1992, used by pedestrians, cyclists, and inline skaters. As each passes by they may spot this bench, set on the east side of the path just off the north end of the bridge.

Commissioned in 2011 by the North Red Deer Village Centennial Committee, the bench itself is a sculpture of red masonry intended to emulate a log bench. In the backrest is set this mosaic, commemorating the old saw mill and train that used to run in downtown Red Deer. The mosaic, created in 2012 was the work of Voyager Art and Tile. Bench and mosaic were created as a legacy to celebrate the one hundred year history of the Village of North Red Deer, which ceased to exist as an entity in 1948. Beside the bench is a commemorative plaque, shown below.

The former village was located on the north shore of the Red Deer River along the Calgary and Edmonton (C&E) Railway, which was later acquired by the Canadian Pacific Railway. The former village is located within Red Deer's Riverside Meadows neighbourhood, with portions also being located within the neighbourhoods of Highland Green and Oriole Park.

North Red Deer was established as a hamlet in 1894 upon completion of the C&E rail line, including the bridge over the Red Deer River. It incorporated as the Village of North Red Deer on February 17, 1911, with the ministerial order being signed on June 18, 1911. Walter Webb became the village's first mayor on March 13, 1911.

After a previously unratified attempt in 1946, the Village of North Red Deer amalgamated with the City of Red Deer on January 1, 1948. The last village council meeting occurred on December 24, 1947. Over the course of its incorporation, North Red Deer grew from a population of 304 in 1911 to a population of 698 in 1946.

In 1999, the City of Red Deer renamed the area of the former village to Riverside Meadows. In 2000, the city adopted the Riverside Meadows Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP), which was replaced by a new ARP in 2009.[10] The City of Red Deer celebrated the centennial of the Village of North Red Deer on August 27, 2011.
From Wiki

Photo goes Here
Subject: Town

Commemoration: Centennial

Date of Founding: February 17, 1911

Date of Commemoration: August 27, 2011

Address:
Roughly 58th Street at 53A Avenue
Red Deer, AB
Canada, T4N 2K8


Overview Photograph:

Yes


Detail Photograph:

Yes


Web site if available: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
  • Artistic Photograph of Location. Make it from a new angle to show something new. Pictures can include interaction, as that is encouraged, but should be done so with the thought of inspiring further visitation of the area. No GPSr Pictures, unless there is something significant to show about the coordinates.
  • In your description, tell us something new you learned about the area and your impressions of the waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Community Commemoration
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.