By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Masonic Lodge #48 (former) - Fulton, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 50.894 W 091° 56.883
15S E 591285 N 4300460
Quick Description: They met on the third floor of a building down the street until 1895...then met here.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 8/27/2018 7:18:10 AM
Waymark Code: WMZ1Q3
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of building: Callaway County
Location of building: Court St., middle of block between 5th St. & 6th St., west side, Fulton
Built: c. 1884
Original Occupant: Payne and Henderson Shoe Store
Current Occupant: Center Court (office supplies)

" ... been covered with corrugated aluminum, and an aluminum awning over the first floor which is mostly plate glass.
Dock in the rear; balcony inside (20x20')

"In 1895, fruits and notions were sold in a building at this site; . . . and in 1890 and 1884, a grocery was located here on the first floor and the Masonic Lodge was located on the second floor.

"Edward H. Payne, the son of E. Howard Payne, a farmer and trader from St. Louis, and Maggie A. Robnett Payne, was born in Fulton in 1875. Before opening his shoe store he had worked in the dry goods business.

"E.C. Henderson, who was born in 1873, was a traveling shoe salesman in the Fulton area who for a season earned the title "Knight of the Grip", according to the 1912 Ful ton Souvenir. Henderson was a member of the Masons." ~ Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Fulton Survey


"523 Court Street (Payne and Henderson Shoe Store). Two story brick with tall segmental arch windows. Architectural shingles currently cover the top 1/5 of the building. Wooden pilasters accentuate both front corners. Below the windows a permanent wooden awning has been added. Interior first floor retains original tin ceiling. [NC]

"In 1884 and 1890, a grocery was located here on the first floor and the Masonic lodge was located on the second. In 1895, fruits and notions were sold in the building. In 1902 it was a book and stationary store on the first floor and wallpaper and moldings on the second floor. The Sanborn maps of 1910 and 1917 indicate that this was a shoe store. According to the Fulton Souvenir book of 1912, this was the Payne and Henderson Shoe Store.

"Edward H. Payne, the son of E. Howard Payne, a farmer and trader from St. Louis and Maggie A. Robnett Payne, was born in Fulton in 1875. Before opening his shoe store, he worked in the dry good business. E.C. Henderson, who was born in 1873, was a traveling shoe salesman in the Fulton area and was a member of the Masonic Lodge." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

MASONIC LODGES: LODGE

GRAND MASONIC LODGES: Not listed

Other: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Take a photo of the front entrance with your GPS in the Photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Masonic Temples
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.