By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden Glasshouse - Kaisaniemenpuisto - Helsinki, Finland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 60° 10.514 E 024° 56.744
35V E 386036 N 6672698
Quick Description: The Kaisaniemi Garden is open to the public. Its greenhouse is currently home to more than 800 different species of plants and its grounds to more than 2,800 plants of different origins.
Location: Finland
Date Posted: 6/17/2018 12:22:35 PM
Waymark Code: WMYHM6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 7

Long Description:
"The University of Helsinki Botanical Garden is an institution subordinate to the Finnish Museum of Natural History of the University of Helsinki, which maintains a collection of live plants for use in research and teaching. The Botanical Garden has two separate sites: one in Kaisaniemi and one in Kumpula.

The Kaisaniemi Garden is open to the public. Its greenhouse is currently home to more than 800 different species of plants and its grounds to more than 2,800 plants of different origins.

Construction on the Kumpula Garden started in 1987 and opened to the public in 2009.

History of the Kaisaniemi Garden -
A walking area for the people of Helsinki:

In 1763, Governor Hans Henrik Böje rented a plot of land from the city of Helsinki bordered by Hämeen maantie (nowadays Siltasaarenkatu) and started a garden on it. In 1773, control of the garden was handed over to gardener Erik Edbom. When Helsinki became the capital in 1812, the garden became a municipal garden. Later on, in 1827, work on transforming the garden into a walking area for the denizens of Helsinki commenced according to plans drawn up by Carl Ludvig Engel. His plans divided the park into two distinct areas: a symmetrical, tree-lined park and a landscaped garden formed by winding paths. In 1829, the walking area was pared back once the Imperial Academy of Turku Botanical Garden moved next to it after the Great Fire hit Turku and the Imperial Academy relocated to Helsinki.

History of the Botanical Garden:

The University of Helsinki Botanical Garden has its roots in the Imperial Academy of Turku Botanical Garden, which was established by Professor Elias Tillandz in 1678. Tillandz’ garden was a small garden for growing cabbages and medicinal plants. After Tillandz’ death, the garden was left to its own demise until Professor Pehr Kalm took responsibility for it. The garden started to flourish as Kalm brought hundreds of useful plants with him from North America. When the Imperial Academy of Turku relocated to Helsinki in 1828, it was allocated a piece of land in Kaisaniemi that had previously served as common pasture for the people of Helsinki. Professor of Zoology and Botany Carl Reinhold Sahlberg started construction on a new garden, relying on his extensive private collection that was not destroyed in the Great Fire of Turku. Head Gardener Franz Faldermann of the Saint Petersburg Botanical Garden was commissioned to design the botanical garden. According to his plan, the garden had two separate areas: gardens and a park-like arboretum. He also planned the greenhouse buildings, of which the first was completed in 1832. Sahlberg served as the first head and organizer of the botanical garden, whose ambitious goal was to create collections of all of the plants in Finland and as many of the non-Finnish plants that thrived in Finland.

The wooden, single-storey main building designed by Engel was built in the middle of the garden by 1831. In the 1850s, it was expanded according to plans by Jean Wik (fi). The wood building was moved out of the way of the new main building. In its new location, it became the gardeners’ living quarters, which is the purpose it still serves today. Wiik planned an Empire style bakehouse for the garden and a fence to protect the garden from the cows grazing in pasture nearby. Engel also planned a joint Gothic stable and cow barn, which has already been demolished.

The botanical garden’s current buildings are the handiwork of Architect Gustaf Nyström, as the original greenhouses designed by Faldermann were replaced at the end of the 19th century with new greenhouses designed by Nyström. Unlike Faldermann’s greenhouses, Nyström’s were made of wrought iron. In 1889, the large, tropical Palm House with its glass roof was finished and in 1896 the rest of the greenhouses. In 1903, construction on the institute building housing the Botanical Department and the Botanical Museum that Nyström had designed to replace the original main building now serving as the gardeners’ living quarters and the professor’s living quarters was finished. The Botanical Museum is still housed in the same building. The gardeners’ building was relocated to the western border of the botanical garden. Furthermore, wooden buildings from the 19th century were moved to the northern border of the garden from elsewhere in Helsinki during the 1990s.

During the Continuation War, the garden was hit by three bombs and the greenhouses were damaged. As a result, all of the more than 1,500 taxons in the greenhouses, with the exception of a single cypress and the seeds of a water-lily, died due to freezing temperatures. The seeds survived at the bottom of the water-lily pool and the current water-lily in the pool is the descendant of that water-lily.

In the 1950s, the greenhouses were restored and modernized and from 1996 to 1998, they were refurbished once again. The Kaisaniemi Garden and its greenhouses will continue to be used for exhibitions and research."

SOURCE - (visit link)

Opening hours -

Glasshouses:
Monday Closed
Tuesday 10 am – 5 pm
Wednesday 10 am – 5 pm
Thursday 10 am – 6 pm
Friday 10 am – 5 pm
Saturday 10 am – 5 pm
Sunday 10 am – 4 pm

See the LUOMUS website - (visit link)

Suomi -
"Helsingin yliopiston kasvitieteellisellä puutarhalla viitataan Kaisaniemen ja/tai Kumpulan kasvitieteellisiin puutarhoihin, jotka kuuluvat kasvimuseon ohella Helsingin yliopiston Luonnontieteellisen keskusmuseon kasvitieteen yksikköön, jota johtaa dosentti Marko Hyvärinen. Kasvitieteellinen puutarha ylläpitää tieteellistä elävien kasvien kokoelmaa tutkimus- ja opetuskäyttöä varten.

Kaisaniemen puutarha on avoinna yleisölle. Nykyään sen kasvihuoneissa kasvaa yli 800 kasvilajia ja ulkopuutarhassa 2800 eri alkuperää olevaa kasvia.

Kumpulan puutarhan rakentaminen käynnistyi vuonna 1987 ja se avattiin yleisölle vuonna 2009.

Kaisaniemen puutarhan historiaa -
Kaupunkilaisten yhteinen kävelyalue:

Vuonna 1763 Maaherra Hans Henrik Böje vuokrasi kaupungilta tontin Hämeen maantien (tältä osaltaan nyk. Unioninkatu) varrelta ja perusti sille puutarhan. Vuonna 1773 se siirtyi puutarhuri Erik Edbomin hallintaan. Helsingin saatua pääkaupungin aseman 1812 puutarha merkittiin kaupungin yleiseksi puutarhaksi. Myöhemmin vuonna 1827 alettiin sitä Carl Ludvig Engelin luonnostelmien mukaan muuttaa yleiseksi kävelypaikaksi. Engelin suunnitelmassa puisto jakaantui kahteen osaan: symmetriseen, puurivien halkomaan puistoon sekä kiemurtelevien polkujen muodostamaan maisemapuutarhaan. Vuonna 1829 kävelypaikkaa supistettiin kun sen viereen muutti Turusta yliopiston kasvitieteellinen puutarha.

Kasvitieteellisen puutarhan vaiheet:

Helsingin yliopiston kasvitieteellisen puutarhan juuret ovat Turun akatemian kasvitieteellisessä puutarhassa, jonka professori Elias Tillandz perusti vuonna 1678. Puutarha oli tuolloin vasta pieni kaalitarha, jossa myös viljeltiin lääkeyrttejä. Tillandzin poismenon jälkeen puutarha jäi hoitamatta kunnes professori Pietari Kalm otti sen kunnostuksen vastuulleen. Puutarha nousi kukoistukseen Kalmin tuotua Pohjois-Amerikasta satoja hyötykasveja. Akatemian siirtyessä Helsinkiin vuonna 1828 puutarhalle varattiin Kaisaniemestä alue, joka oli aiemmin palvellut helsinkiläisten yhteislaitumena. Eläin- ja kasvitieteen professori Carl Reinhold Sahlberg alkoi rakentaa uutta puutarhaa, tukeutuen Turun palolta säästyneeseen laajaan yksityiskokoelmaansa. Suunnittelijaksi tilattiin Pietarin kasvitieteellisen puutarhan ylipuutarhuri Franz Faldermann. Hänen suunnittelemansa puutarha jakautui kahteen osaan, säännöllisiin viljelypalstoihin ja puistomaiseen arboretum-alueeseen. Hän suunnitteli myös kasvihuonerakennukset, joista ensimmäinen valmistui 1832. Kasvitieteellisen puutarhan ensimmäisenä johtajana ja puuhamiehenä toimi Sahlberg, joka piti kunnianhimoisena tavoitteenaan kerätä sinne kaikki kotimaiset kasvit ja mahdollisimman paljon Suomen olosuhteissa viihtyviä ulkomaisia kasveja.

Engelin piirtämä puinen, yksikerroksinen päärakennus valmistui 1831 puutarhan keskelle. Sitä korotettiin 1850-luvulla Jean Wiikin suunnitelmaan mukaisesti. Puutalo siirrettiin uuden päärakennuksen tieltä puutarhurien asuintaloksi, jona se edelleen toimii. Wiik suunnitteli puutarhan empiretyylisen leivintuvan sekä aidan suojaamaan puutarhaa lähellä laiduntavilta lehmiltä. Engel taas suunnitteli goottilaistyylisen talli- ja navettarakennuksen, joka on jo purettu.

Kasvitieteellisen puutarhan nykyiset rakennukset ovat arkkitehti Gustaf Nyströmin käsialaa. Faldermannin suunnittelemat alkuperäiset kasvihuoneet korvattiin 1800-luvun lopulla Nyströmin piirtämillä uusilla kasvihuoneilla, jotka olivat puisista edeltäjistään poiketen takorautaiset: vuonna 1889 valmistui suuri trooppinen, lasikattoinen palmuhuone ja vuonna 1896 muut kasvihuoneet. Alkuperäisen puutarhurien talon tilalle valmistui vuonna 1903 niin ikään Nyströmin suunnittelema kasvitieteen instituuttirakennus, johon sijoitettiin kasvitieteen laitos ja kasvimuseo sekä professorin virka-asunto. Kasvimuseo toimii rakennuksessa edelleen. Puutarhurien talo rakennettiin uudelleen alueen länsilaidalle. Lisäksi 1990-luvulla puutarhan pohjoisreunaan Kaisaniemenranta-kadun varteen siirrettiin 1800-luvun puurakennuksia muualta Helsingistä: kaksi Uudenmaankadulta ja yksi Punavuorenkadulta.

Jatkosodassa puutarhaan osui kolme pommia ja kasvihuoneet rikkoutuivat. Seurauksena yhtä sypressiä ja parananjättilumpeen siemeniä lukuun ottamatta kaikki kasvihuoneiden yli 1500 kasvitaksonia kuolivat pakkaseen. Lumpeen siemenet säilyivät hengissä lummealtaan pohjalla, ja nykyinen jättilumme on niiden jälkeläinen.

Kasvihuoneet restauroitiin ja ajanmukaistettiin 1950-luvulla. Uusi peruskorjaus tehtiin vuosina 1996-1998. Kaisaniemen puutarha ja kasvihuoneet pysyvät jatkossakin näyttely- ja tutkimuskäytössä."

LÄHDE - (visit link)

Aukioloajat -

kasvihuoneissa:
Maanantai suljettu
Tiistai klo 10-17
Keskiviikko klo 10-17
Torstai klo 10-18
Perjantaina klo 10-17
Lauantai klo 10-17
Sunnuntai kello 10-16

Katso LUOMUS-verkkosivusto - (visit link)
Type of Greenhouse: Botanical display - public

Type of Cover: Glass panel

What is the shape of this greenhouse: Curved structure (eg. Victorian Greenhouse - Kew Gardens)

If you selected Other - describe it.: Not listed

If you selected Other shape please describe it: Not listed

Unique features: Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Greenhouses and Nurseries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
ilkkarjs visited Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden Glasshouse - Kaisaniemenpuisto - Helsinki, Finland 4/2/2019 ilkkarjs visited it
veehoo74 visited Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden Glasshouse - Kaisaniemenpuisto - Helsinki, Finland 10/19/2018 veehoo74 visited it
SpeedCity visited Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden Glasshouse - Kaisaniemenpuisto - Helsinki, Finland 7/31/2018 SpeedCity visited it

View all visits/logs