By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Collégiale Notre-Dame - Semur-en-Auxois, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 47° 29.433 E 004° 19.983
31T E 600414 N 5260541
Quick Description: [EN] The Notre-Dame church of Semur-en-Auxois is a Gothic building, dating back to the 11th century, rebuilt in the 13th and 14th centuries. [FR] L’église Notre-Dame de Semur-en-Auxois est un édifice de style gothique, remontant au XIe siècle, reconstruite au XIIIe siècle et au XIVe siècle.
Location: Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, France
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 1:43:52 PM
Waymark Code: WMYEMQ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member razalas
Views: 1

Long Description:

"According to tradition, the Duke of Burgundy Robert I decided to build a new church in the eastern part of the town in expiation of the murder of his stepfather Dalmace of Semur-en-Brionnais.

Dependent on the Benedictine abbey of Flavigny-sur-Ozerain, the original priory makes place from the thirteenth century to the current church, built from the year 1212.

Important donations, especially from the guilds, led to the addition of side chapels on the north aisle in the 15th century. Became a collegiate church in 1739, the church was restored in the 19th century by Viollet-le-Duc.

The facade, overlooking Notre-Dame Square, has two square towers while the transept is crowned with an octagonal bell tower.

Preceded by a large porch with three portals of the fifteenth century, the nave, dating from the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, surprises by its narrowness and its elevation.

It has eight spans, the choir, Benedictine type, comprising three."

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"Selon la tradition, le Duc de Bourgogne Robert 1er aurait décidé de la construction d’une nouvelle église dans la partie Est du bourg en expiation du meurtre de son beau-père Dalmace de Semur-en-Brionnais.

Dépendant de l’abbaye bénédictine de Flavigny-sur-Ozerain, le prieuré d’origine fait place à partir du XIIIe siècle à l’église actuelle, construite à partir de l’année 1212.

D’importants dons, émanant en particulier des corporations de métiers, conduisent à l’adjonction de chapelles latérales, sur le bas-côté nord, au XVe siècle. Devenue Collégiale en 1739, l’église a été restaurée au XIXe siècle par Viollet-le-Duc.

La façade, qui donne sur la place Notre-Dame, est dotée de deux tours carrées tandis que le transept est coiffé d’un clocher octogonal.

Précédée d'un vaste porche à trois portails du XVe siècle, le nef, datant des XIIIe et XIVe siècles, surprend par son étroitesse et son élévation.

Elle comporte huit travées, le chœur, de type bénédictin, en comportant trois."

Sources : L’Eglise

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.