By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Friends' Meeting House and Burying Ground - Linwood, NJ
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member jiggs11
N 39° 21.413 W 074° 33.680
18S E 537793 N 4356473
Quick Description: Historic marker located in the Friend's Burying Ground recounting the history of the nearby Friends Meeting House and Quaker school.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 4/28/2018 7:08:25 PM
Waymark Code: WMY63P
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member LowellHouseGuy
Views: 1

Long Description:
Marker recounting the history of the local Society of Friends. Marker text reads:

Friends Meeting House and
Burying Ground

Across this driveway stood the old Friends Meeting House and school. At th monthly meeting of the Friends dated Jan 1, 1731 it was concluded that "ye meeting for worship shall be removed from John Sculls (house) and shall henceforth be kept in ye meeting house by James Somers'es".
James Somers (1695-1761) gave by will in 1758 "one acre of land to the people called Quakers for a Meting House and burying grouns, whereon the Meeting House now stands forevermore."
The Meeting House stood until about 1868. Central Methodist Episcopal Church was given permission to use the cemetery in 1860 and received the deed from the Quakers in 1944. The Friends-Central Cemetery Association was organized in 1941.
Marker Name: Friends' Meeting House and Burying Ground

Marker Type: Local? Unofficial

Marker text:
Friends Meeting House and Burying Ground Across this driveway stood the old Friends Meeting House and school. At th monthly meeting of the Friends dated Jan 1, 1731 it was concluded that "ye meeting for worship shall be removed from John Sculls (house) and shall henceforth be kept in ye meeting house by James Somers'es". James Somers (1695-1761) gave by will in 1758 "one acre of land to the people called Quakers for a Meting House and burying grouns, whereon the Meeting House now stands forevermore." The Meeting House stood until about 1868. Central Methodist Episcopal Church was given permission to use the cemetery in 1860 and received the deed from the Quakers in 1944. The Friends-Central Cemetery Association was organized in 1941.


Dedication Date: 1/1/1111

City: Linwood

County: Atlantic

Group responsible for placement: The United Methodist Church

Web Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site', please ALSO provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest New Jersey Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.