Beffroi de Tournai - Tournai, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 36.334 E 003° 23.284
31U E 527460 N 5606035
Quick Description: [EN] The Belfry of Tournai is the oldest in Belgium and dominates the Grand Place from its height of 72 m. [FR] Le Beffroi de Tournai est le plus ancien de Belgique et domine la Grand-Place du haut de ses 72 m.
Location: Hainaut, Belgium
Date Posted: 4/14/2018 12:56:45 PM
Waymark Code: WMY3P1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
Views: 0

Long Description:

"The Belfry of Tournai is the oldest in Belgium and dominates the Grand Place from its height of 72 m.

It was built from 1188, when the Philip Augustus king of France allowed the citizens of Tournai to have in some place a bell to use it for their business. It was consolidated in 1294. Before this date the tower was to be a simple square tower ending in a crenellated terrace flanked by rounded buttresses. This belfry must have seemed hail and not very solid. Also, as early as 1294, it was thought to strengthen it. The buttresses were constructed with cut-off sides, the octagonal turrets of the angles, and the tower was raised to the full height of the large window. The whole thing was surmounted by a slate spire and pinnacles.

The fire of the belfry in the night of 13 to 14 February 1391 destroyed the coronation. Various other arrangements occurred over the centuries. In 1782, the dragon which surmounted the belfry was replaced by a globe surmounted by the Austrian eagle, in memory of the visit of the emperor Joseph II to Tournai in 1781

The horizontal plane of the belfry has the shape of an irregular parallelogram with buttresses with sloping sides. Built in blue stone, it is 70 meters high. The first part is between the ground and the first inner gallery, the second reaches the second and the third part the arrow and the turrets.

A staircase of 257 steps can reach five floors of rooms used formerly prison. The bancloque announces public holidays and the stamp gives the alarm.

The belfry served as a watchtower, as a prison, as a bell tower, a clock tower, and as a town hall. He was the symbol of the communal autonomy of Tournai and treasured the charters that testified. It became a UNESCO site in 1999. "

Sources : The Belfry

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"Le Beffroi de Tournai est le plus ancien de Belgique et domine la Grand-Place du haut de ses 72 m.

Il fut construit à partir de 1188, quand le Philippe-Auguste roi de France permit aux bourgeois de Tournai d'avoir en quelque endroit une cloche afin de s'en servir pour leurs affaires. Il fut consolidé dès 1294. Avant cette date la tour devait se présenter comme une simple tour carrée terminée par une terrasse crènelée et flanquée aux angles de contreforts arrondis. Ce beffroi devait sembler grêle et peu solide. Aussi, dès 1294, on songea à le fortifier. On construisit les contreforts à pans coupés, les tourelles octogonales des angles et on exhaussa la tour de toute la hauteur de la grande fenêtre. On surmonta le tout d'une flèche en ardoise et de clochetons.

L'incendie du beffroi dans la nuit du 13 au 14 février 1391 en détruisit le couronnement. Divers autres arrangements intervinrent au cours des siècles. En 1782, le dragon qui surmontait le beffroi fut remplacé par un globe terrestre surmonté de l'aigle autrichienne, en souvenir de la visite de l'empereur Joseph II à Tournai en 1781

Le plan horizontal du beffroi a la forme d'un parallélogramme irrégulier avec des contreforts à pans coupés. Construit en pierre bleue, il mesure 70 mètres de haut. La première partie est entre le sol et la première galerie intérieure, la deuxième atteint la seconde et la troisième la flèche et les tourelles.

Un escalier de 257 marches permet d'atteindre cinq étages de pièces servant autrefois de prison. La bancloque annonce les fêtes publiques et le timbre donne l'alarme.

Le beffroi servait comme tour de guet, comme prison, comme clocher, tour d'horloge, et comme hôtel de ville. Il était le symbole de l'autonomie communale de Tournai et conservait précieusement les chartes qui l’attestaient. Il est devenu un site UNESCO en 1999."

Sources : Le Beffroi

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.