By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Iglesia de San Pablo-Valladolid,Spain
featured waymark
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Ulit7
N 41° 39.417 W 004° 43.518
30T E 356347 N 4613126
Quick Description: Nice church, its facade must seen.
Location: Castilla y León, Spain
Date Posted: 3/17/2018 4:55:59 AM
Waymark Code: WMXYDR
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 10

Long Description:
The conventual church of San Pablo is one of the most representative buildings of the city of Valladolid (Castilla y León, Spain) and tourist attraction. It is located in the Plaza de San Pablo, where the Royal Palace and the Pimentel Palace are located, the so-called royal sites in past centuries. It is attached to the school of San Gregorio and next to the rest of the headquarters of the National Museum of Sculpture. It was built between 1445 and 1616 and belongs to the order of the Dominicans.

In this church the kings Philip IV and Philip II were baptized and visited by Napoleon

Since 1260, on the initiative of Queen Violante de Aragón, wife of Alfonso el Sabio, residences of Franciscans and Dominicans are organized. At that time, the queens boasted the lordship of the town, so they supported the settlement of these orders, which favored their development.

Although the creation of the Order of Saint Paul the First Hermit had been carried out in Hungary in 1250 on the initiative of Blessed Eusebio de Estrigonia, in particular, the convent of San Pablo in Valladolid was founded in 1276 by Violante de Aragón, in honor to this hermit order in formation. She was the daughter of Queen Violante of Hungary, who had arrived in Iberian lands to consummate her marriage to Jaime I of Aragón. On the other hand, it would be ten years later when Queen María de Molina dedicated great efforts to carry out the formal construction of the convent located on a plot of land lent by the Council to the Dominicans north of the city.

Between 1445 and 1468, it was Cardinal Fray Juan de Torquemada, uncle of the Inquisitor General Tomás de Torquemada, who defrayed the works for the construction of the definitive church thanks to the papal bulls. This new construction replaced another mendicant type church, covered with wooden roof. The header, the transept and the wooden deck nave were completed.

On May 21, 1527, Felipe II was born at the Pimentel Palace in Valladolid. Legend has it that one of the windows of the palace, from which a chain hangs, King Philip II was taken at birth to be baptized in the Church of St. Paul, because to leave by the palace door should have been baptized in the Church of San Martín.

At the death of Torquemada, the papal bishop, Fray Alonso de Burgos, patron of the convent, patronized the cloister, the refectory, the lower part of the façade and the portals of the transept, as well as the annexed school of San Gregorio and its funeral chapel. The Spanish-Flemish architects Juan Guas and Simón de Colonia participated in this task. Towards 1550, Cardinal García Loaysa, confessor of Carlos I, ordered the construction of the sacristy, covered with a starry vault decorated with shields of the order and figures of Dominican saints.

In 1601, with the transfer of the capital of the Empire to Valladolid, the Duke of Lerma, valid of Felipe III, became its patron; It financed the reform of its main façade and endowed the convent with numerous works of art, among them Fra Angelico's The Annunciation, now in the Prado Museum. The temple was extended in classicist language and adapted to a funerary use, with the architect Diego de Praves. The façade was also extended trying to obtain an overall effect. During this period a unique concentration of decorative elements was carried out, mainly Gothic sculptures, and the towers flanking the facade were erected.

Between 1613 and 1616, reforms were made in Herrerian style of some chapels of the nave and the choir under the direction of Diego de Praves. Juan de Nates was commissioned, according to a project designed by Francisco de Mora, the execution of the tribune of the patrons, from which the dukes heard mass, and the doric door of the sacristy.

In the church of San Pablo the kings Felipe IV and Felipe II were baptized. Of the latter, the legend tells that through one of the windows of the Pimentel Palace, from which a chain hangs, it was taken at birth to be baptized in this church, because to leave by the door of the palace should have been baptized in the nearby church of San Martín.

In the nineteenth century with the French invasion, Napoleonic troops desecrated the church and the convent causing serious damage. The progressive ruin of the group and the various disentailment processes, especially the confiscation of 1835, ended with the convent facilities to transform them into a prison, leaving only the church standing.

In the 20th century, the church suffered a fire and several restorations were carried out. During the first years of the 21st century (specifically between 2004 and 2009), the church has undergone an integral restoration. While the restorations were being made it was possible to see the sculptures a few meters away thanks to a mobile scaffolding.
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 4/27/1445

Age of Church building determined by?: Church staff member

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: From: 7:30 AM To: 9:00 PM

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Sunday

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: 10:00 AM

Street address of Church:
Plaza San Pablo 4
Valladolid, Castilla y León Spain
47011


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.