By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Chateau de Beaufief - Mazeray,France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 45° 55.582 W 000° 33.078
30T E 689857 N 5088781
Quick Description: le chateau de Beaufief est situé dans la campagne tout pres du terrain de moto cross.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 3/11/2018 12:21:47 AM
Waymark Code: WMXX28
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
Wikipedia source:
This land belonged until 1633 to the Abillon family, aldermen of Saint-Jean-d'Angély, Joachim was mayor in 1547, and his son Jean in 1582.

As a result of marriages, successions and sales, the lordship fell in 1763 to Pierre Auguste Perrodeau, born in Saint Jean-d'Angély in 1701 and who died in Mazeray in 1781. From an old family dress, he became a prosecutor in the election of the city and was elected mayor in 1765. Having added the name of Beaufief to his, and this aristocratic surname will be worn by his descendants, including his great-grandson Joseph-Edouard (1821-1908), the creator around 1860 of the seaside resort of Ronce-les-Bains.

Perraudeau dismantled the ruins of the former fortress of the Counts of Taillebourg to recover stones and build in 1768 a new home, whose railing wrought iron balcony still has its figure.

Originally, the gardens and woods were an area of ??600 hectares.

At the end of the twentieth century, the almost ruined house was acquired and restored by Count Jehan Marie of the Tower of Geay (1913-1991) and by his wife, born Jacqueline Collieaux (widow of Admiral Des Lions and beau- mother of the actor Bernard Dhéran), who had done the same from 1952 to the castle of Ecoyeux, former property of the maternal family bard saintongeais Evariste Poitevin (1877-1952) called "Goulebenèze"; these rescues of two manors saintongeais were distinguished by the association Vieilles Maisons Françaises (Sazerac Cup) respectively in 1973 and 1982.

On October 4, 1973, the castle (its facades and its roofs), the staircase and its wrought iron banister, the dining room and its chimney, the living room of the first stage and its woodworks, the vault decorated with stucco were registered historical monument1.

In 1984, Beaufief's restaurateurs also received the prize for the "Masterpieces in Danger" competition.

source Wikipedia :
Cette terre appartint jusqu'en 1633 à la famille Abillon, échevins de Saint-Jean-d'Angély, dont Joachim fut maire en 1547, et son fils Jean en 1582.

Par suite de mariages, successions et ventes, la seigneurie échut en 1763 à Pierre Auguste Perrodeau, né à Saint Jean-d'Angély en 1701 et qui mourra à Mazeray en 1781. Issu d'une ancienne famille de robe, il deviendra Procureur en l'élection de la ville et en fut élu maire en 1765. Ayant ajouté le nom de Beaufief au sien, et ce patronyme aristocratique sera porté par ses descendants, dont son arrière-petit-fils Joseph-Edouard (1821-1908), le créateur vers 1860 de la station balnéaire de Ronce-les-Bains.

Perraudeau fait démanteler les ruines de l'ancienne forteresse voisine des comtes de Taillebourg afin d'en récupérer des pierres et faire édifier en 1768 une nouvelle demeure, dont le garde-corps en fer forgé d'un balcon porte encore son chiffre.

À l'origine, les jardins et les bois constituaient un domaine de 600 hectares.

À la fin du XXe siècle, la maison quasi-ruinée fut acquise et restaurée par le comte Jehan Marie de la Tour de Geay (1913-1991) et par son épouse, née Jacqueline Collieaux (veuve de l'amiral Des Lions et belle-mère du comédien Bernard Dhéran), qui avaient fait de même à partir de 1952 au château d'Ecoyeux, ancienne propriété de la famille maternelle du barde saintongeais Evariste Poitevin (1877-1952) dit "Goulebenèze"; ces sauvetages de deux manoirs saintongeais ont été distingués par l'association Vieilles Maisons Françaises (Coupe Sazerac) respectivement en 1973 et 1982.

Le 4 octobre 1973, le château (ses façades et ses toitures), l'escalier et sa rampe en fer forgé, la salle à manger et sa cheminée, le salon du premier étage et ses boiseries, la chapelle ornée de stucs ont été inscrits monument historique1.

En 1984, les restaurateurs de Beaufief ont reçu en outre le prix du concours "Chefs-d'œuvre en péril".

merimee chateau : (visit link)
merimee parc : (visit link)
Accessibility: No access- Private

Condition: Intact

Admission Charge?: no

Website: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Chateau de Beaufief - Mazeray,France 6/3/2018 sara et gege visited it