Stadtturm - Olten, SO, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 20.970 E 007° 54.233
32T E 417212 N 5244586
Quick Description: The city tower of Olten is a former church tower from 1521 and one of the landmarks of town.
Location: Espace Mittelland (BE/SO), Switzerland
Date Posted: 3/5/2018 12:45:04 AM
Waymark Code: WMXVZ6
Views: 1

Long Description:
EN: The already slightly weathered sign on the city tower of Olten is located on a bricked side entrance, on the side with the fountain. The sign is not dated, but is probably from the time shortly after the last mentioned date, i.e. around 1929.

The tower was originally a church tower, which was converted into the official clock tower of the city after the rebuilding of the church in another place. The Gothic lower half of the tower dates from 1521, the Baroque upper part from the 17th century.

The text:
"Parish church of St. Martin first documented in 1240. Burned down in 1422. New church consecration in 1461. Erection of this tower with a gabled roof by master Conrad Gibelin from Solothurn in 1521. Later addition of the chapel southwards, elevation of the tower and conversion of the spire into the current tower helmet shape. Destruction of the church in 1844. The spire was rebuilt by Colonel Conrad Munzinger in 1845. Restoration of the tower in 1928 with a federal subsidy and listed under federal protection on 12 November 1928."

DE: Das schon leicht verwitterte Schild am Stadtturm von Olten befindet sich an einem zugemauerten Seiteneingang auf der Seite mit dem Brunnen. Das Schild ist nicht datiert, stammt aber wahrscheinlich aus der Zeit kurz nach dem letzten erwähnten Datum, also um 1929.

Der Turm war ursprünglich ein Kirchturm, der nach dem Neubau der Kirche an einem anderen Ort zum offiziellen Uhrturm der Stadt umfunktioniert wurde. Die gotische untere Hälfte des Turms stammt aus dem Jahr 1521, der barocke Oberteil aus dem 17. Jahrhundert.

Der Text:
"Pfarrkirche St. Martin urkundlich erwähnt 1240. Abgebrannt 1422. Neue Kirchweihe 1461. Errichtung dieses Turmes in Käsbissenform 1521 durch Meister Conrad Gibelin aus Solothurn. Später Anbau der Kapelle südwärts. Erhöhung des Turmes und Umwandlung in die Helmform. Abbruch der Kirche 1844. Erneuerung des Turmhelms 1845 durch Oberst Conrad Munzinger. Restauration des Turmes 1928 mit Bundessubvention. Unter Bundesschutz gestellt am 12. November 1928."
Group that erected the marker: unsigned, probably the city of Olten

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
Marktgasse
Olten , SO Switzerland
4600


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.